Bone Broth fans

I just discovered Bone Broth and am now a big fan. I want to know how everyone uses it. I heated it up and drank it straight and that was the fix I needed.

Friend request me on MFP.

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I use bone broth (aka stock) about a million different ways. I am glad you discovered it. I seldom drink it unless I make it from scratch or take some store bought and amp it up.

I don't send FRs but you should get plenty.

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I make it in the crockpot. It’s great as is for sipping. I use it for making French onion soup and for other soup bases (beef bone broth)
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    Isn't it literally just stock made the proper way?

^^^That's what I thought too....
  • Cranesfan
    Cranesfan Posts: 10 Member
    KeelyM423 wrote: »
    Is this animal bones in a broth and then drank?

Yes it is from beef bones.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    Isn't it literally just stock made the proper way?

Yes.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,586 Member
    My main use of broth is porcini risotto.

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/porcini-risotto

I am getting a little tired of that so will probably try lemon risotto next.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,586 Member
    And soups.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    I use stock as the base for soup, to cook grains, and to make gravies and sauces. I don't drink it straight very often, and never in summer, which is the current season in my hemisphere. In winter I occasionally drink it hot in lieu of tea, or mix it with tomato juice or vegetable juice to drink. And it's stock, and I refuse to call it by some new trendy name that supports the idea that it's some radical new discovery, as opposed to a homey, frugal thing that people have been making for hundreds of years, if not thousands.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    edited August 2019
    I make it in the crockpot. It’s great as is for sipping. I use it for making French onion soup and for other soup bases (beef bone broth)

I make stock in my crockpot as well. I haven't found a store brand that comes remotely close to tasting as good.

I save bones in the freezer until it's time to make stock. I usually use a mix of beef and chicken bones. I cook it on high for an hour and then turn it down to low for another 8-9 hours.

One of my favorite uses for stock is Ginger Beef Ramen Soup. I tweak this recipe to have less calories, proportionally more protein and less carbs, and I now use capellini pasta instead of ramen noodles. That might change if I ever make it back up to the Asian store.

af682yxa2vkx.jpg
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    My main use of broth is porcini risotto.

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/porcini-risotto

I am getting a little tired of that so will probably try lemon risotto next.

Ditto, I add it to everyyyyything I can hahaha
  • ChrissyChickie
    ChrissyChickie Posts: 182 Member
    I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos that are touting the benefits of bone broth. I'm just wondering from people who use it regularly... do you really feel better or healthier? Also, curious how much you drink per day? Thanks.
  • lemurcat2
    I consider it an ingredient for something like soup, and I do make it and freeze it so it's around all the time. I don't consider it something to consume for health, but just a normal, traditional part of cooking.
  • vaman
    vaman Posts: 253 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I consider it an ingredient for something like soup, and I do make it and freeze it so it's around all the time. I don't consider it something to consume for health, but just a normal, traditional part of cooking.

I agree, just an ingredient for making soups and gravies.

• Thegle
    Thegle Posts: 41 Member
    I too have tried to "just" consume it and it's kind of odd to have it this way. I prefer adding it as a soup base with something else in it. Hamburger soup comes to mind.
  • lemurcat2
    I'm making a soup right now with homemade chicken broth (a kind of bone broth), rice, onions, jalapeno, asparagus, and chard. I'll add some chicken too (leftovers).