Coronavirus prep

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Our case numbers in Washington state continue to rise at a rate of 500-700 per day, and of course that is only the people who have symptoms and get tested but not the large number of untested carriers on any given day.

Population = 10 million
    Number of tests completed = 708,000
    Positive = 41,757
    Rate of positives = 5.9% (same as it's been all along)
    Percent of Deaths per positive cases = 3.4% (also about the same)
    New Hospitalizations around 40 or fewer per day
    Deaths averaging 4-6 per day

The hospitalizations and deaths are down to lower levels than in early days. There are a lot of reasons why this is so and of course it could rocket up at any time, but that is our reality here today.

I took this from the dashboard with lots of info from our DOH in Washington state:

https://www.doh.wa.gov/Emergencies/NovelCoronavirusOutbreak2020COVID19/DataDashboard

Probably no one here cares much about our little corner, but it's a hopeful sign to me.

I care. My dd lives in Seattle. Thank you for sharing that info!!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Our case numbers in Washington state continue to rise at a rate of 500-700 per day, and of course that is only the people who have symptoms and get tested but not the large number of untested carriers on any given day.

Population = 10 million
    Number of tests completed = 708,000
    Positive = 41,757
    Rate of positives = 5.9% (same as it's been all along)
    Percent of Deaths per positive cases = 3.4% (also about the same)
    New Hospitalizations around 40 or fewer per day
    Deaths averaging 4-6 per day

The hospitalizations and deaths are down to lower levels than in early days. There are a lot of reasons why this is so and of course it could rocket up at any time, but that is our reality here today.

I took this from the dashboard with lots of info from our DOH in Washington state:

https://www.doh.wa.gov/Emergencies/NovelCoronavirusOutbreak2020COVID19/DataDashboard

Probably no one here cares much about our little corner, but it's a hopeful sign to me.

No, that's interesting.

My dad's county (Cowlitz) reported a jump in cases post 7/4, which is not great, but still are listing no deaths, so that's kind of amazing (it's reasonably rural). He seems to be behaving responsibly, for which I credit his wife.

Illinois (pop 12.65 m) has had 2,041,440 tests, 155,506 positives, and 7,218 deaths. The overall positive rate is 7.6%, but in recent weeks it's been about 2.6% (it was up at 25% during the worst of it). Apparently nearly 20% of Chicago's pop has been tested (although of course one can catch it soon thereafter, as you have noted). Recent uptick in cases among 20-somethings is a bit worrisome (especially as we are opening up in a variety of ways). Today about 700 new cases and 25 deaths (which is way better than our numbers at one point).

This, on the other hand, is encouraging, although I'm not getting my hopes up yet: https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-nw-covid-19-vaccine-tests-20200714-zxn4u4q2tbfepczu5salzwerei-story.html
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    https://wwjnewsradio.radio.com/articles/news/man-fatally-shot-after-stabbing-in-fight-over-wearing-a-mask

The local Walmart (KY/USA) has an employee standing under a tent with two huge fans blowing from behind him which moves the air from those going into the store away from the employee. When I came out there was no one nearby so I asked him what was his instructions were over masks.

He said they were permitted to suggest wearing a mask per the governor's order but in no way were they to confront a customer with a demand to wear a mask to enter, shop and check out. KY does not want the expense to have police to walk along with the shoppers to physically force people to wear masks naturally plus not all shoppers are even required to wear a mask. The employee said he did not have the knowledge of who were exempt from the order so WM put in place the above mask enforcement policy to help prevent him from physical harm or even death. He and I agreed if people had breathing issues that exempted them from the mask order that it would be best if possible to have someone come shop on their behalf or let other staff pick the items and bring them out to the pick up location.

That's ridiculous. A store should have the right to have whatever policies they want for people entering. Seems like either a cop-out by WM or an overreach by the state. And no, you don't need to have police "walk along with the shoppers" to have the store (esp one with security, as I would imagine WM has) enforce their own rules about who can enter and check out.

Perhaps you are too removed from reality to have a valid opinion on the WM operations? WM stopped having security guards locally years ago perhaps for legal reasons. WM is enforcing their own rules about who can enter and check out. :)
  • lemurcat2
    https://wwjnewsradio.radio.com/articles/news/man-fatally-shot-after-stabbing-in-fight-over-wearing-a-mask

The local Walmart (KY/USA) has an employee standing under a tent with two huge fans blowing from behind him which moves the air from those going into the store away from the employee. When I came out there was no one nearby so I asked him what was his instructions were over masks.

He said they were permitted to suggest wearing a mask per the governor's order but in no way were they to confront a customer with a demand to wear a mask to enter, shop and check out. KY does not want the expense to have police to walk along with the shoppers to physically force people to wear masks naturally plus not all shoppers are even required to wear a mask. The employee said he did not have the knowledge of who were exempt from the order so WM put in place the above mask enforcement policy to help prevent him from physical harm or even death. He and I agreed if people had breathing issues that exempted them from the mask order that it would be best if possible to have someone come shop on their behalf or let other staff pick the items and bring them out to the pick up location.

That's ridiculous. A store should have the right to have whatever policies they want for people entering. Seems like either a cop-out by WM or an overreach by the state. And no, you don't need to have police "walk along with the shoppers" to have the store (esp one with security, as I would imagine WM has) enforce their own rules about who can enter and check out.

Perhaps you are too removed from reality to have a valid opinion on the WM operations? WM stopped having security guards locally years ago perhaps for legal reasons. WM is enforcing their own rules about who can enter and check out. :)

You yourself said KY told them not to enforce the rules.
  • lemurcat2
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

Remember what happened to the store security guard who tried to enforce a mask rule back in May? Nobody unarmed, making $15/hr is going to put up much of an argument with someone who doesn't want to wear a mask. Based on history it unfortunately doesn't end well.

https://apnews.com/9e9eadf6757e8ad1551030dacf6b3e29

Big box stores are enforcing it here, no issues. The state telling a chain not to enforce it is either false (the store making excuses) or complete state overreach, as I said.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member

Just because they don't have a guy in a uniform with patches who looks like a store cop, doesn't mean they don't have employees whose responsibilities include security. If someone tries walking out with a TV, betcha they get confronted, even before the local constabulary arrives.

Can't speak for lemur, but I shop at Walmart. I don't think doing so is a measure of whether someone is "removed from reality" or not, though.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Just because they don't have a guy in a uniform with patches who looks like a store cop, doesn't mean they don't have employees whose responsibilities include security. If someone tries walking out with a TV, betcha they get confronted, even before the local constabulary arrives.

Can't speak for lemur, but I shop at Walmart. I don't think doing so is a measure of whether someone is "removed from reality" or not, though.

Locally one should expect 25 to 100+ armed customers at any given time. Store capacity is currently limited to 1000 shoppers as I understand it. Most people are looking out for the business and other customers. Most that I saw yesterday with out masks were not USA citizens which can be a language barrier. Things tend to work out as long as there's no show of force. The MI case was sad.
  • lemurcat2
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I never shop at WM. We don't have any near where I am, and I had a bad reaction when I shopped there when traveling as they were checking packages at the door when leaving -- treating customers like criminals. But in that they already were doing that, it seems them -- even more than places like WF and HD, which IME are doing great jobs at enforcing the number of people in the store and masks -- should be able to enforce store policies. If they don't, I think that's a choice. The stores I go to do enforce those things.