What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I need to try Mutsu!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,722 Member
    Another one of my unpopular opinions: Most of the modern apple varieties just aren't that good. Also, especially in the "sold by the 1" options, they're usually too big.

Too much emphasis on sweetness, generally, not enough tartness, "wine-y-ness", or other dimensions to balance. It seems to be the trend in fruit breeding generally, to move toward sweetness, insipidity, good shipping qualities and appearance . . . and for things like apples, impressive size.

Just part of the general sweet-ification and super-sizing of huge range of foods, I guess. (/curmudgeon ;) ).
  • QueenZeeIsm
    QueenZeeIsm Posts: 104 Member
    COGypsy wrote: »
    Cauliflower tastes like the smell of stinky feet. More specifically, it does not taste “just like” rice, pizza crust, mashed potatoes, steak, or buffalo wings.

I wish I could like this post a thousand times! it definitely does not taste "just like".
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member
    So, I love broccoli and cauliflower this morning for breakfast after day 3 of a new run/ walk and workout plan 💪
  • lemurcat2
    I love cauliflower, but it certainly doesn't taste like any of those things. I think it's got a generally neutral flavor, which is why, especially with things where it's really about the toppings (pizza, for some people) or with buffalo sauce.

I like mashing a combo of cauliflower and potatoes when I mash potatoes (pretty rare anyway, I usually roast them). I like the slightly lighter texture (and I often add garlic and butter as this is a holiday treat). For me rice doesn't really taste like a lot, so I can see why some find cauliflower an easy lower cal substitute if they find something rice-like in texture important to the dish (not that the texture is actually the same).
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Since we are talking apples...
    Mutsu followed by honeycrisp.

Asian pear > any apple
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,722 Member
    I think some people evaluate food based on expectations and past experience, rather than how it actually tastes in the moment; and some evaluate food based more on appearance/form than on taste.

I think that's behind some (not all) of the "cauliflower pizza is just like regular pizza" (appearance/form based), and "cauliflower pizza tastes disgusting" (it's not real pizza, cauliflower is disgusting - experience/expectations).

I've more than once reported here an experiment I did where I put red food coloring in water, gave it to my cousin as a beverage, and asked him what flavor it was. "Cherry . . . or maybe raspberry?" Heh. Try it on someone(s), it's fun. You'll need your poker face. ;)

Personally I agree with lemurcat2: Cauliflower pizza, rice, etc., work when they work because of the mostly-neutral flavor. (I understand that some tend to get more of the brassica suphur-ness from it than others, though).

What I can't understand is that cauliflower, to me, has a distinct though mild flavor (which I like) . . . but cauliflower rice I've had mostly doesn't taste like anything at all (to me), even in quantity.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I think some people evaluate food based on expectations and past experience, rather than how it actually tastes in the moment; and some evaluate food based more on appearance/form than on taste.

I think that's behind some (not all) of the "cauliflower pizza is just like regular pizza" (appearance/form based), and "cauliflower pizza tastes disgusting" (it's not real pizza, cauliflower is disgusting - experience/expectations).

I've more than once reported here an experiment I did where I put red food coloring in water, gave it to my cousin as a beverage, and asked him what flavor it was. "Cherry . . . or maybe raspberry?" Heh. Try it on someone(s), it's fun. You'll need your poker face. ;)

Personally I agree with lemurcat2: Cauliflower pizza, rice, etc., work when they work because of the mostly-neutral flavor. (I understand that some tend to get more of the brassica suphur-ness from it than others, though).

What I can't understand is that cauliflower, to me, has a distinct though mild flavor (which I like) . . . but cauliflower rice I've had mostly doesn't taste like anything at all (to me), even in quantity.

Agreed I think this way with a lot of substitutes - Does it taste like [thing]? - No. Does it taste good? Yes.

Cauliflower rice, potatoes, crust. Spaghetti squash. Banana "nice" cream. Terrible substitutes, imo, but I think they're all delicious so I still eat them when I want them.
  • lemurcat2
    edited July 2020
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I agree with this. I'm too lazy to rice it myself, however, so when I've tried it, it was frozen first, so maybe that's why? Or I wouldn't be surprised if it lost flavor more quickly when chopped so small. For me, since I like cauliflower, I tend to prefer it chopped into larger pieces and that's how I typically eat it.

I also agree that trying to pass something off as tasting just like something else (spaghetti squash vs spaghetti is a good example) is a way to make it taste bad, since it doesn't taste like what you expect. But spaghetti squash itself is delicious -- it just calls for somewhat different toppings/sauces than I would use for pasta in some cases.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    I don't like strawberries.

I only like local, in-season strawberries (from the farmer's market, since rabbits seem to really like the strawberries I try to grow in my garden). I also like frozen ones a lot. Out of season or traveled far strawberries have no taste.

Some of the farmers at my farmer's market have lots of different varieties of strawberries and it is fun and interesting to compare the different varietals.

I also am not a fan of strawberries. I live strawberry preserves and jam. Sweetened strawberry type things in summer. To me even the most ripe are a bit sour

I generally don't like fruit sweetened, although I do like desserts featuring fruit. But just the fruit on its own (or with something like yogurt or oats), I don't want any additional sweetener.

I also generally like fruit on its own more than poached/baked/stuffed/popped into other things. And I do like fresh strawberries. For me, also, fruit is sweet enough (most fruit is) that it doesn't need any help from honey or sugar. But. Today I had a dying banana and some strawberries on their last legs. I threw them into my Vitamix with some yogurt, whole milk and some honey, and whipped it into a good, thick smoothie. At more than 300 calories, it became my de facto lunch, but I have to say that it was worth it.
  • pancakerunner

Asian pear > any apple

Yea but now its like apples and oranges lol

speaking of oranges, I am not a fan.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    I love the taste of apples but can't eat them raw. The texture is like chewing on Styrofoam to me. I do like an apple pie though!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    I love the taste of apples but can't eat them raw. The texture is like chewing on Styrofoam to me. I do like an apple pie though!

I'm picky about the texture of apples for this same reason. I only like certain kinds (golden delicious and fuji), and they have to be a certain level of "ripeness". Fortunately, I can kind of tell while handling the apple if it's right or not.

@pancakerunner I like clementines, but I'm not a big orange fan either, mostly due to the fibers. Sometimes I can get a good orange that works, but it's not common. Also, regarding your asian pear comments...I used to agree, but then I got a really weird batch of asian pears once, and it totally turned me off of them, lol. They must have been out of season or something.
  • ejbronte

Asian pear > any apple

I like the fruit, but not the juice.
  • pancakerunner
    ejbronte wrote: »

Asian pear > any apple

I like the FLAVOR but not the fruit or juice... haha. Like I like chocolate orange or orange zest, creamiscles, etc.
  • lemurcat2
    I like oranges but find them a little bit inconvenient to eat, and occasionally you get one that's not as good. That's why I prefer clementines. (I love orange juice, but rarely drink it because it's high cal to satisfaction ratio. I do drink it when I stay at a hotel that has fresh squeezed, it's my little indulgence.)
  • ejbronte
    I like oranges but find them a little bit inconvenient to eat, and occasionally you get one that's not as good. That's why I prefer clementines. (I love orange juice, but rarely drink it because it's high cal to satisfaction ratio. I do drink it when I stay at a hotel that has fresh squeezed, it's my little indulgence.)

Oh, you made me think of this little scene from one of my favorite movies, "Lilies of the Field" (set up: Sidney Poitier has been corralled into working for a small group of nuns in the middle of nowhere. They have no money or food and he is HUNGRY):
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=tKJvEbi4GdU

Our dad was able peel almost anything in one smooth motion. He refused to eat the peel of pretty much anything: not of potatoes, apples, peaches ... he was even able to rid a tomato of its peel almost effortlessly. He considered us barbaric for actually liking things like potato skins.
  • VegjoyP

Asian pear > any apple

I like the canned mandarins in water. Not best choice, fresh is best. I had a blood orange which I liked but it was in the moment. I like orange Vitamin Water Zero
  • ejbronte

Asian pear > any apple

I like the canned mandarins in water. Not best choice, fresh is best. I had a blood orange which I liked but it was in the moment. I like orange Vitamin Water Zero

I really like blood oranges, but in Brooklyn, at least, their season is short. A couple of years ago, a theater friend bought me some lovely blood oranges in thanks for some work I did for her. It was a very lovely thing to do.
  • VegjoyP

Asian pear > any apple

I really like blood oranges, but in Brooklyn, at least, their season is short. A couple of years ago, a theater friend bought me some lovely blood oranges in thanks for some work I did for her. It was a very lovely thing to do.

I live in Florida 😁🍊🍊🥭🍋🍊🍊🍊🍍🍓🍑🍑