WEIGHT NO MORE Team Chat - July 2020

Replies

• minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,204 Member
    Happy Thursday, everyone!

I was right, water retention is the secret villain of my weight loss journey. Weighed in today at 166.8 lbs, instead of the 168.2 from yesterday. No way did I work off 1.4 lbs in 24 hours. Not yesterday at least!
  • Freeglerock
    Freeglerock Posts: 2,864 Member
    @minstrelofsarcasm totally hear you! I gain 2lb overnight for yesterday's official weekly weigh-in, and today dropped from 179lb to 176.3lb! Curse the water retention!
  • Cafelelia
    Cafelelia Posts: 1,298 Member
    @Freeglerock and @minstrelofsarcasm - I am going to record these lower weights fir the week unless you object. Please post to let me know. Thanks
  • sleepymom5
    sleepymom5 Posts: 2,456 Member
    check in for Wednesday
    Food- logged and on target
    Water-64 oz
    Exercise-2-over 20 min walks and PT

I have been doing well. This weekend will be challenging. I have guests coming and this is when I have the most trouble down here. I haven't been buying the donuts and sweets that I have in the past. To be honest, no one seems to really eat them and I end up finishing them off. I am going to make a plan for the entire weekend, drinks and all. I am finally where I was before that gain when Jim was sick so I don't want to ruin my progress. :)

I won't be on here as much except for a quick check in. I will have to catch up with everyone after the weekend. Have a great weekend everyone!
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,204 Member
    edited July 2020
    @Freeglerock - at least the retained water is actually helping your body repair itself and stay healthy. It just has a bad relationship with the scale, and the two refuse to go to couples' therapy, so now we all have to suffer.

@Cafelelia - be my guest! It'll look better for me to be in the green again anyway! o:):D

@sleepymom5 - I love tricking guests into eating healthy things so that the leftovers aren't so dangerous. Cucumber sandwiches? Why yes, I made those to be fancy, not to reduce my bread intake... Fruit salad for dessert? Definitely just showing off how fresh these berries are.
  • Cafelelia
    Wednesday check in
    Food - on target
    Water - 2l
    Exercise - 30 min walk
    Nice day yesterday. It was super hot out, so I did a short walk. I am off to my mom’s this afternoon and will stay the weekend. It will be so nice to see the boys, although they have been FaceTiming a lot. I am bringing along some of my prepped foods to stay on track. My mom cooks healthy, but some meals are a bit too carb heavy.

@minstrelofsarcasm and @Freeglerock - Done! Your lower CW has been recorded. You can always delay a weigh in if needed as long as you weigh in by Saturday.

@sleepymom5 - Great idea just to avoid buying the junk foods. Just try to stick to you plan this weekend and enjoy yourself. Have fun!

@pacsnc6 - Great loss! Hope that you are doing well!

@tryingagin5 - You are doing great! So happy that your clothes feel looser to! Wtg! I have the exact same problem with stairs. Up is fine and down is harder. I had a trainer who told me that is quite common for many people.

@mrsbell8well - What a yummy lunch!

• ljdanny
    ljdanny Posts: 2,060 Member
    i forgot to weigh in today. can i please do this tomorrow morning? i do not want to add on any extra weight. as we were putting together my new bed we had to clean out the underneath of my old one. i found all kinds of workout videos i forgot i had including a few more leslie sansone walking videos. you never know what you will find under the bed. probably will go for a walk today its beautiful out. the next few days is going to be in the 90s and humid so i will be sitting in the pool not doing much, maybe a video before. i am really bummed my vacation is cancelled but i am trying to plan day trips but that is getting a little tough too. my husband only likes to do certain things and is afraid of heights etc. and my work says we can only travel within certain states or we have to quarantine for 14 days. so i am getting pretty limited. hopefully we still have some fun.
  • Cafelelia
    @ljdanny - no problem re weighing in tomorrow. So sorry about your vacation. I just saw that the border closure was extended to August 21st. Even within Canada, we only have 4 “open” provinces to Canadians. Hope that you can figure out a good alternative.
  • Mrsbell8well
    Mrsbell8well Posts: 1,652 Member
    @melaniedscott yes I will! come on over! My wife and I met on line. Part of my profile was to stress that I was looking for someone that liked to eat my cooking. Molly jumped right in and said she would bring the wine and do the dishes lol. It is a match made in heaven. I love to cook for people that love to eat.

Skipped dinner the last 3 days. I had a slight headache last night and this morning. I laid in bed once again thinking of what fabulous food I was going to eat today. Started the day with 1/2 a whole grain everything bagel with vegan cream cheese topped with fresh raspberries. Lunch was a repeat of yesterday. Had a peach for a snack and am now enjoying my afternoon cookie (lemon) and a cup of tea. afternoon snack will be either lemon yogurt or a pink lady apple with a smear of fresh almond butter. Dinner sautéed summer squash with brown rice and crispy baked tofu. There is no question that I LIVE TO EAT!

Can you feel the weekend? Time is just flying by.

Once again I want to throw a shout out to our wonderful team captains @1theresamcvean and @Cafelelia. What you all do is so time consuming and sooooo appreciated! @sleepymom5 you will always be thought of as captain as well. Even before you had the title you have been dedicated to cheering us all on.
    @gingerpwr I appreciate your kind words. I know I inspired you previously and I can assure you that you are now my inspiration. Your words definitely got me back on track! You have been a great team motivator!!!
  • Mrsbell8well
    Mrsbell8well Posts: 1,652 Member
    BTW...I discovered a cool corn trick. I cut off the ends of my corn cob on both sides. Do not remove the husks or the silks. Throw it in the microwave for 3 minutes. Be careful it is hot when you take it out. Supposedly the husk slips right off but I just peel it off. I have been making this at the office and enjoying fresh corn for lunch.
  • GingerPwr
    GingerPwr Posts: 1,978 Member
    Hey everyone!
    We're driving back from vacation with giant food babies. We stopped to visit one of Matt's fraternity brothers for lunch and his wife made a big pork loin, marinated cucumber salad, corn salad, and berry cobbler. Holy cow.

Tomorrow I'm stepping on the scale to survey the damage. Not even exaggerating when I say I'm expecting a gain of 5-7 lbs. BUT, I know I have the tools and wherewithal to get back down again. So @Mrsbell8well I may be making my own daisy chain goal sheet, lol!!

I'll be catching up and responding starting tomorrow. Ready to get back to some structure!
  • nstephenson01
    nstephenson01 Posts: 854 Member
    edited July 2020
    nstephenson01
    Week 3
    Thursday
    PW: 169.6
    CW: 169.4
    Weekly steps: 108,742

Haven't been 100% committed to my weight loss goals following my birthday and the 4th of July holiday. Finally got around to splurging on my birthday dinner Saturday night and ate my weight in sushi. My husband and I had dinner in the loft of the barn with a spectacular view of the Montana mountains. Been better the last couple of days and steps might be helping to keep me in the 160's. Onto another week...

Take care everyone
  • tryingagain5
    tryingagain5 Posts: 1,037 Member
    @melaniedscott
    Thanks! Doing my stair workout shows me how out of shape I really am. No stairs at work for me. Just the stairs at home.

That's too bad that your knees do that. That has to be difficult and probably painful.
  • tryingagain5
    @cafelelia
    Thanks! Good to know that going down the stairs is harder for a lot of people. That means I'm somewhat normal.😉
  • tryingagain5
    Thursday 7/15 check in
    Food: a little over
    Water: 64 oz
    Exercise: 40 minutes total (20 minutes resistance band and 20 minutes bodyweight exercises)

I'm going to work 2 hours OT today so that will be nice on next week's paycheck. A lot of people in another department took voluntary layoff when the company was offering that and now that department is short people.

They've moved a lot of people from 2nd shift in my building and department to the other area and now there's not enough people to do the work in my area. They were keeping all 3 shifts away from each other as much as possible but now they've given the ok to overlap a little.
  • 1theresamcvean
    1theresamcvean Posts: 934 Member
    edited July 2020
    Username: 1theresamcvean
    Weigh-in week: Week 3
    Weigh-in day: Thursday
    Previous weight: 147.3
    Today's weight: 148.8
    Loss to date: 28.6

I've been reading the posts and notice that a few of us are struggling with the ups and downs of water retention in the heat. I've gained and lost every day this week and am starting to look at my scale like a slot machine. I just don't know what lady luck will say one day to the next.

I can tell you that I feel slimmer. Yesterday, I received my online order from J Crew and the size 8 shorts fit perfectly. My last ones were size 12 and I was swimming in them.

My July goals are going well:
    • Sleep on a regular schedule and for 8 hours. CHECK
    • Stay with Thu/Sat 1,700 and Sun/Mon/Tue/Wed/Fri 1,000 calorie base and eat back half my exercise calories. CHECK
    • Maintain 4 bootcamp live sessions per week. CHECK
    • Get back to biking when my broken toe is healed ~ again, work with me July! HMMM I think I might have to substitute something here. My toe is doing well but with the relentless construction and this heatwave, I may like to do some indoor cardio. Yesterday I was thinking of trying Zumba. Any and all ideas appreciated. I have a Spin bike so videos that you know are good in that regard, I'm willing to try.

Elisabeth's surgery was a success. It was long, about 2 1/2 hours just for the surgery, not the prep or recovery. She's home now, groggy, in pain, and on pain meds, looking forward to PT and recovery. She's a trooper. Well, trooping would be hard...but you know what I mean.

I had a great day with Pippa yesterday. We went for ice cream as planned. This ice cream shop is right by the house and is only open in the summer. My son was a regular when he was little and always got his first cone of the year free. I read the flavours out loud and asked Pippa which one she wanted and she confidently told me she wanted green. I said Mint Chocolate Chip and Pistachio Almond are both green. She didn't want that much information and steadfastly said, "Green." So, I ordered a mint chocolate chip kiddie cone and a pistachio almond single. She was happy with the mint chocolate chip, but when I swapped cones with her to clean up (i.e. lick) her cone because it was seriously melting, she tasted the pistachio and was in love. Wow ~ does she like pistachio!

6srjdssnb9xk.png

I've noticed that some restaurants in the neighbourhood have installed windows to serve through, but Sweet Fantasies was Covid-proof before anyone could have ever predicted Covid.

• CassieGetsFit2013
    CassieGetsFit2013 Posts: 572 Member
    Hello, sweet fitness family...

Well, I've been having some problems going on lately...You all know I talked about doing PT for the body pain I've been having, I haven't started it yet, but now I'm having other issues...😔 I've been getting very dizzy whenever I stand back up from crouching, sitting, lying down, or just from bending over. Every time it happens, I almost fall because I get very unsteady and off balance, it takes a lot of work to steady myself and not just fall over...(Back in 2015, this was happening or something similar and I was falling at least 7 times a day, even in stores. Kept getting covered in bruises. Was in Rehab and it happened in there too, my BP was very high and when this happens and I sit down, I can't get back up unless I have help because it's like my legs don't want to work anymore and they feel so weak, and heavy...) I've been short of breath too and it's like I can't get the air to hit the right spot in my chest so it feels like I'm kind of suffocating and it's just making me miserable! Also, it makes me lightheaded and dizzy too. My Dr. Gave me a glucose meter with strips to test it every few days and especially when I feel dizzy and sick, she told me to take it when I haven't eaten and I did last night when I felt really bad and it was 121. She told me it should be between 80-100, so I'm not sure if 121 was not too bad or bad...Anyway, I JUST want to figure out what the cause is for all that's going on so it can be fixed and I can feel better! With all of my mental problems, I really don't need all these physical problems! 😔 Also, I am going to a Psychologist where my Psych is, to have learning disability tests done. I wanted to do it. Another thing that has me worrying js that well, I've always been pretty forgetful, but lately...Past few months or even within the last year, I feel like my memory has gotten worse and I'm being a lot more forgetful. I am a huge over worrier, so I'm worried about that and don't want to find out that it's like early on set Alzheimers or Dementia or something bad like those! I was thinking I might go to the ER tonight or tomorrow if this doesn't let up any because it isn't a very good feeling at all! So when I stand from a down position, what happens is that I become very dizzy, my head gets tight, I close my eyes and sometimes see orange/red, I become wobbly, my ears get really hot, sometimes making me hear unclearly and it happens no matter how long I am down for. Hours, minutes or even seconds. I just need and want to know what's going on with me!! 😭
  • 1theresamcvean
    edited July 2020
    Has anybody else noticed that the posts in here are out of alignment? Our names are lower down than the sentence they're in. Hmm...what are these master web developers up to? Well, I'm not so sure we think they're masters. Snort.

Oh, and what is the origin of *kittens*? You know, I'm quite fond of just replacing a letter with, I don't know, a symbol. For example replacing a single letter, like "*kitten*", or replacing several for the very ambiguous "&#%!" But, please, explain *kittens* to me. [UPDATE: I got my explanation. I had the example "*kitten*" in this paragraph without the quotation marks, and MFP changed it to kitten. What!?!]

@lennoncpa Drinking enough water is more of a challenge when doing desk work. I noticed that the past couple of weeks as I have been working at my desk a lot to launch the new business, I'm not nearly as thirsty as when I'm active. Days when I'm out walking, cycling, doing HIIT, I'm downing the water. Five cups before lunchtime is no problem. You'll be back to a regular intake when tax season ends. I thought of you the other day when I ate a spoonful of hummus.

@sleepymom5 When I read your post, I thought, "Great, great, great, great!" Great idea not buying treats, great planning the entire weekend, great that you are where you were before Jim was sick, and so, so great that you aren't planning to be online while you enjoy the weekend!" See you next week and enjoy!

@Freeglerock and @minstrelofsarcasm Curse the water retention is right! You two are a pleasure to read. You're both so articulate with your descriptions that I take so much pleasure in reading what you're saying and have such empathy since it's happening to me every day lately. Thank goodness @Cafelelia is a great captain and changed your weigh-in days.

That reminds me of what @GingerPwr said about weighing daily all week to see the rolling average and the app that @ProfDawnLee recommended ~ Happy Scale. That's really helping me roll with the water weight. I think I'm developing a much healthier relationship with my scale.

@brown6267 Great stepping. You're inspiring me to get moving now that my broken toe is almost better.

@pacsnc6 Great loss ~ 1.1 is a lucky number. I hope you are well this week. Is it your week off of chemo?

@Mrsbell8well Nice loss, you flower child. Thanks for reminding me of the daisy chains. Yes, we did make them and I can't wait to make some with Pippa. It's her third birthday and that's a great thing to do ~ make a crown of daisies with her to wear at the party.

@tryingagain5 Whoa! Great weigh in. You've got this now! I bet it's the variety of mini-goals that you're engaged in. They don't have to be the same each week, just as effective. You've got me thinking of some new ones. Thank you.

@melaniedscott Nice loss. Is the conference virtual or real? You lost me at dorm rooms. If it's virtual and you have rooms, that's really cool. But I think you're talking about last year. I once went to a conference in Chicago where I didn't know a soul. By day two, people in the street were saying 'Hey,' and I met this woman who was FaceTiming with her twin who was a prof at the university nearby to come down and meet me. What a warm bunch of people. I'm glad your toe is better and sorry to hear that your knees dislocate willy nilly. My daughter's are like that. I don't think people fully realize how important knees are to our freedom of movement. That's a big deal.

@ljdanny I can so see you finding those videos under the bed. I have a bed where the mattress lifts up, kind of on a hydraulic hinge and there's storage in the frame below it. Yesterday I was putting something under there (the leaf to my kitchen table) and I noticed my Wii Fit. Weird. It's like our beds are sending us fitness messages. LOL.

@Cafelelia Alas, we didn't roll down the hill this week. Pippa was wearing a nice dress and it was just a bit too hot. We went to the farmers market in the Green P at Borden Street. It was set up for distance shopping. I set up an umbrella over the wagon and we got golden beets, lovely pattypan yellow squashes, yellow beans ~ all things I can never find even in the best-stocked vegetable markets. I love it when the farmers come right into the city. The funny thing is that Pippa lives out in the country. But, hey (that sounds so Canadian eh).

@nstephenson01 Great weigh-in and steps. I love sushi but have never had it in a loft with a view of the Montana mountains ~ wow! And congrats on the 160s! If we ever get to travel again, let's do a house swap. Haha. My view is the CN Tower. It's a landmark. Actually some people love the view but would prefer yours.

Everyone with gardens, it's time for some garden pics. I got a new iPhone 11 so maybe mine will be better than they were before. I saw a zucchini and a tiny eggplant yesterday.

• 1theresamcvean
    edited July 2020
    Hello, sweet fitness family...

Well, I've been having some problems going on lately...You all know I talked about doing PT for the body pain I've been having, I haven't started it yet, but now I'm having other issues...😔 I've been getting very dizzy whenever I stand back up from crouching, sitting, lying down, or just from bending over. Every time it happens, I almost fall because I get very unsteady and off balance, it takes a lot of work to steady myself and not just fall over...(Back in 2015, this was happening or something similar and I was falling at least 7 times a day, even in stores. Kept getting covered in bruises. Was in Rehab and it happened in there too, my BP was very high and when this happens and I sit down, I can't get back up unless I have help because it's like my legs don't want to work anymore and they feel so weak, and heavy...) I've been short of breath too and it's like I can't get the air to hit the right spot in my chest so it feels like I'm kind of suffocating and it's just making me miserable! Also, it makes me lightheaded and dizzy too. My Dr. Gave me a glucose meter with strips to test it every few days and especially when I feel dizzy and sick, she told me to take it when I haven't eaten and I did last night when I felt really bad and it was 121. She told me it should be between 80-100, so I'm not sure if 121 was not too bad or bad...Anyway, I JUST want to figure out what the cause is for all that's going on so it can be fixed and I can feel better! With all of my mental problems, I really don't need all these physical problems! 😔 Also, I am going to a Psychologist where my Psych is, to have learning disability tests done. I wanted to do it. Another thing that has me worrying js that well, I've always been pretty forgetful, but lately...Past few months or even within the last year, I feel like my memory has gotten worse and I'm being a lot more forgetful. I am a huge over worrier, so I'm worried about that and don't want to find out that it's like early on set Alzheimers or Dementia or something bad like those! I was thinking I might go to the ER tonight or tomorrow if this doesn't let up any because it isn't a very good feeling at all! So when I stand from a down position, what happens is that I become very dizzy, my head gets tight, I close my eyes and sometimes see orange/red, I become wobbly, my ears get really hot, sometimes making me hear unclearly and it happens no matter how long I am down for. Hours, minutes or even seconds. I just need and want to know what's going on with me!! 😭

@CassieGetsFit2013 I'm very sorry that you're feeling unwell. In this situation, we really want you to be well, and if you are seeing orange or red and feeling the way you are describing here, please go to emergency and tell your family right away. Also, let us know what the results are. We do worry about you and aren't doctors.
This discussion has been closed.