I need an Emotional Eating support posse.

Replies

• mermaidnj
    mermaidnj Posts: 161 Member
    just checking in.. i m still at the one hour at a time stage but not giving up just a lot of getting back up.. wishing all well whereever your at..
  • Gamma423
    Gamma423 Posts: 6 Member
    I need people who are willing to push me. Call me out!
  • Gamma423
    Gamma423 Posts: 6 Member
    Hi everyone! Has anyone read Linda Spangle? She's wonderful and so insightful. I read and re-read her book Life is Hard, Food is Easy. Everything she says about emotional eating clicks with me and helps me make sense of why I'm doing what I'm doing. Seriously, only $10 on Kindle. Gotta get it.

Going to have to check that out! Thanks for the recomendation.
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    @Gamma423 , do you log your foods and share your food diary with friends ?
  • Lisamarks12
    Lisamarks12 Posts: 6 Member
    Hello, I am fairly new to this Fitness app and I would like to be part of this discussion. I have so many problems since early childhood on emotional eating.
  • paulcaesar67
    paulcaesar67 Posts: 45 Member
    I'm in.
    I share my details with friends so please send me a FR anyone on this thread and I will accept.
    I have been on MFP for a few years but not seriously. This time I have paid for a membership and I realize that long term success requires being active on the forums
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    edited July 2020
    I love @rheinn1979 idea of thinking on a smaller scale; like, instead of thinking of the next week or month, think about today and only today. Can I do this today? That has been so critical for my own feelings of success!

I've been really moving forward on overcoming emotional eating, especially in the last few months, since March. I feel like each day I am making a bigger commitment to being present with my food and my feelings. I hope you all are doing well!
  • sunflowerkinders5
    sunflowerkinders5 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi! I'm an extreme emotional eater, to be completely honest I'm pretty sure I am addicted to food, and I'd love to be a part of this support group if possible.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,116 Member
    Sometimes, still, certain events trigger my behaviors to "eat my feelings". I am doing that less over time, because I am in maintenance, and my aging body moves/feels so much better at this lower weight. If I can recognize a binge coming on, I tell myself that I don't have to go so overboard, when I do overeat. Used to be like the food took over, and I was just along for the ride for the whole day or more. I try to be more conscious of it, and then I can apply the brakes earlier. Also, after only 7 months of maintenance, my stomach and guts rebel when I eat too much grease and sugar......Also, I try to be kinder to myself when I overdo it, self-hate is so counterproductive. Honestly, weekly averages of calories are more important than "a bad day"! Progress, not perfection!!
  • tanbron
    tanbron Posts: 27 Member
    Hey! Just checking in! It is getting closer to the Holidays and we made need this discussion thread more than ever! With the numbers going up in this pandemic, loved ones passing on, and many different emotional rollercoasters, we are going to need this support. Let's encourage each other during this time.
  • UmmYuki2021
    UmmYuki2021 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm in! I suffer from PTSD and have gained massive weight due to that. Every time i look at the mirror, I feel like I'm not looking at myself but someone else. My therapist suggested if I want to feel like myself again, I should stick to my weight loss journey, but I'm a massive emotional eater and too lazy for gym 😩 I'm in need of an accountability group.
  • Be_theBest_Me
    Be_theBest_Me Posts: 768 Member
    Y'all I have done this 3 times I am a giant yoyo!! I was 258lbs lost 100lbs gained it all back plus an extra 25!! Lost 150lbs! Gained it all back!!! Struggle has been real the last 9 years. Lost 60 and I've yoyoed slightly on all the rest!!! Currently 182! Gained 20 moving this last month!! Mental game is the most important thing for me to stay on track. I've struggled since I was lil. Cooking Thanksgiving was orgasmic!!! Oh yeah I know I'm an addict!! Guess what.....I only had 1 plate of food yesterday!! Small breakfast!! Only a few lil snacks!! Huge win to the normal binge fest I would have taken on!!! How were your holidays?????? Anyone need to talk message me!! I may not know *kitten* but I'll listen and we can figure things out together!!!
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    @Be_theBest_Me That's a wonderful win to celebrate! Thanksgiving is tough for us food addicts, and that you had one plate of food really shows some focus on your goals. Good for you!
  • Be_theBest_Me
    ladyzherra wrote: »
    @Be_theBest_Me That's a wonderful win to celebrate! Thanksgiving is tough for us food addicts, and that you had one plate of food really shows some focus on your goals. Good for you!

Thank you!!!!!!
  • mermaidnj
    mermaidnj Posts: 161 Member
    Hey all need some love!Covid and holiday blues colliding .. good news I am not eating my feelings bad news they are kind of spilling all over the place..

Here is my situation I am caretaker to my 96 year old mother who has Parkinson's and the beginnings of dementia. So very isolated from usual contact with friends and family due to the virus and my home life...

As part of my recovery I am trying to speak my truth it is not going well seems people don't like when you change or worse yet do not share their opinion.. While I would like to be a here's to those that wish me well and all the rest can go to hell kind of woman I'm really struggling with the negative reactions..

Anyone else find they hit an emotional wall when food is no longer used to cope?

• miriamm4je
    miriamm4je Posts: 4 Member
    Hey, hope all is well with everyone.

i seem to find myself at a loss with how to cope with emotional eating. I thought i could do it on my own but ive admitted defeat. So im hoping being in a forum like this will help me find tips and tricks to make a shift in the right direction.
    Can anyone give examples of what they have tried to do in order to cope. I find that trying to give my self space from what i feel helps but i dont always catch myself going down that path and before i know it o have demolished some type of food lol.

Any tips however big or small is appreciated ✌️😊
  • Be_theBest_Me
    miriamm4je wrote: »
    Hey, hope all is well with everyone.

i seem to find myself at a loss with how to cope with emotional eating. I thought i could do it on my own but ive admitted defeat. So im hoping being in a forum like this will help me find tips and tricks to make a shift in the right direction.
    Can anyone give examples of what they have tried to do in order to cope. I find that trying to give my self space from what i feel helps but i dont always catch myself going down that path and before i know it o have demolished some type of food lol.

Any tips however big or small is appreciated ✌️😊

Keep busy!! Find things to keep your mind and hands busy!! Color pictures! Write a journal! Play cards! Even solitaire!! Just keep busy!! Drink water when you feel upset before you go for food! Message someone and rant!! I'm here if ya need that!! Just be mindful. Eat because of hunger instead of frustration!! I am the worst about emotional eating!! If I can get my head outta my butt cave anyone can!! You got this!!!
  • Be_theBest_Me
    I wish there was a way to track why you are eating on mfp. I know having a journal about why I'm eating helps me a lot. Before I eat I write about my feelings and why I'm eating!! Helps me see a pattern!!
  • miriamm4je
    miriamm4je Posts: 4 Member
    The idea of having a journal seems to be coming up a few times. I know i need to work on building awareness but i find i spend alot of time in my head/own thoughts and often find it hard to recognise that ive begun this pattern of thought. Just knowing that i do that for me is a win. I started ready a book called the happiness trap and touches upon awareness. I gues i just need to practice more.
    The water trick seems like a great idea.
  • Be_theBest_Me
    miriamm4je wrote: »
    The idea of having a journal seems to be coming up a few times. I know i need to work on building awareness but i find i spend alot of time in my head/own thoughts and often find it hard to recognise that ive begun this pattern of thought. Just knowing that i do that for me is a win. I started ready a book called the happiness trap and touches upon awareness. I gues i just need to practice more.
    The water trick seems like a great idea.

You got this!!! Being mindful about what goes in is super important. Taking 5 extra minutes before you eat to think and drink water is a huge win!! You can see the pattern and correct it!! It's working for me!! My mom is a massive emotional trigger!! I wanna stress eat every time she crosses my mind!! Recently she moved on to the same property with us. I haven't lived this close to my mom in 10 years. Ooooo the struggle!! Gained 15 lbs quick!! So I had to figure out the trigger and start changing my habits!!