What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    ejbronte wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Since we are talking apples...
    Mutsu followed by honeycrisp.

Asian pear > any apple

Yea but now its like apples and oranges lol

speaking of oranges, I am not a fan.

I like the fruit, but not the juice.

I like the canned mandarins in water. Not best choice, fresh is best. I had a blood orange which I liked but it was in the moment. I like orange Vitamin Water Zero

I really like blood oranges, but in Brooklyn, at least, their season is short. A couple of years ago, a theater friend bought me some lovely blood oranges in thanks for some work I did for her. It was a very lovely thing to do.

I live in Florida 😁🍊🍊🥭🍋🍊🍊🍊🍍🍓🍑🍑

Me be jealous......
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Since we are talking apples...
    Mutsu followed by honeycrisp.

Asian pear > any apple

Yea but now its like apples and oranges lol

speaking of oranges, I am not a fan.

I like the fruit, but not the juice.

I like the canned mandarins in water. Not best choice, fresh is best. I had a blood orange which I liked but it was in the moment. I like orange Vitamin Water Zero

I really like blood oranges, but in Brooklyn, at least, their season is short. A couple of years ago, a theater friend bought me some lovely blood oranges in thanks for some work I did for her. It was a very lovely thing to do.

I live in Florida 😁🍊🍊🥭🍋🍊🍊🍊🍍🍓🍑🍑

I'll take all your lemons!
  • pancakerunner
    That mayo is so gross.

I don't like mayo by itself, but like it in creamy things. I am picky about the brand and type though. Miracle whip? The devil
  • pancakerunner
    Nutella is an oversweet insult to both chocolate and hazelnuts.

chocolate COVERED hazelnuts though... yum
  • pancakerunner
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Bananas are a creation of Satan.
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Shrimp make me physically ill just looking at them.
    Avacado is greasy slime

this thread used to be SAVAGE
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member
    Doritos are an abomination. So are potato chips. Much rather have a baked potato
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    So-called "baby" carrots are not generally as tasty as regular carrots, and (for raw eating) so-called "juice" carrots are the tastiest.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    So-called "baby" carrots are not generally as tasty as regular carrots, and (for raw eating) so-called "juice" carrots are the tastiest.

I like raw carrots better than cooked carrots, and though I'll take a raw carrot pretty much any way I can get it, yes, the regular carrots are definitely the best. My sibs and I had a weird way of eating them: we gnawed around the outer layers until the inner section was left. Then we'd nibble that down. It took a long time to finish off a carrot in our house!

FYI, we employed the same method with yodels (mini Swiss rolls?).
  • pancakerunner
    Not a fan of flavored nut butters!
  • unforgettable2010
    unforgettable2010 Posts: 104 Member
    Raw egg whites and oats blended together for a post workout shake. When Im bulking I’ll add a little frozen fruit. Healthier than processed protein shakes.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    "Eating fat doesn't make you fat."

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd just post this "controversial" opinion here. I was reminded that I shared this POV after watching the documentary "Fact Fiction" on Prime. This film attempts to debunk the notion that "fat makes you fat" and actually points the blame at simply "bad" governmental dietary advice (backed by misguided and, in some cases, deceptive medical and corporate efforts) which led to the "low/no fat" dietary movement in the US and the dramatically increased addition of sugar to all kinds of food products and the increased consumption of sugar (in it's various forms) which has led to wide-spread obseity (and the diseases that accompany it, particularly diabetes) not only among adults but also children.

I'm not suggesting that everything said in the film should be accepted as the "truth" but it does present some convincing arguments (at least to me) that SUGAR (and not fat) has really been the main cause of the obesity problem in the United States (and elsewhere).

I have eaten meat of various kinds/types all of my life (and still do) but I didn't start getting FAT until I started drinking too much soda/beer (something like 5-6 cans of soda and 3-4 cans of beer a day!) and I didn't lose weight until I stopped doing that. I also (for the most part) stopped eating any "fast" or fried foods and anything made w/refined flour and/or sugar. Been maintaining my weight effectively the past 4 years by doing this.

Anyway, I did hear something that piqued my interest during the film. Some guy was talking about being in the Himalyas on some kind of spiritual trek and not feeling well because of the altitude and cold weather until a local woman started serving him tea w/yak butter in it. So, when he returned home, it got him thinking and he decided to try mixing butter and coconut oil w/his coffee. His conclusion was that he felt better, had more energy and his appetite was suppressed when he drank this mixture. So, I decided to give it a try it.

I almost always have about 30 oz (3 - 10oz cups) of black coffee every morning. However, this morning, I added 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp of EVOO (didn't have any coconut oil) to one 10 oz cup of black coffee and mixed it together w/a stick blender. The concoction is actually quite tasty, made me feel very full and I haven't had an urge to drink any more coffee or eat anything in the 3 hrs since I drank it.

So, at least for me, this particular dietary "tip" seems to be working in suppressing my appetite, which should result in my eating less during the day and thereby make it even easier to maintain my weight. Too early to conclude this but it will be interesting to see what happens during the rest of the day.

Just throwing this info out there in case anyone else may be interested in giving it a try.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    So, interestingly, I didn't feel like eating anything until 8 hrs after drinking the black coffee w/butter & EVOO mentioned above and ate 350 cals below my cal gosl for the day.

Will have to see if this was a singular event or something that can be replicated when I do it again.

• VegjoyP
    Not a fan of flavored nut butters!

Funny, I kind of agree. I just love nut butters as they are
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    German type sour pickled herring is the food of gods.
  • Basilic24
    Basilic24 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm no fan of soy milk.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    I'm not sure if this is unpopular or not, but

There is literally no reason to eat a peach when there are nectarines available.
  • VegjoyP
    I do not like nectarines, plums, oranges or red grapes much
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Agree with not liking nectarines/plums/oranges/peaches/apricots.

• PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Don't like apple pie either
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    Don't like apple pie either

Said this before but the only pie worth it is pumpkin pie and the only cake worth it is cheesecake but an exception to both these rules is pumpkin flavored cheesecake.