Cooking with Protein powder

How do you use your protein powder? I have a whole container full of vanilla protein powder & have only used it twice, once in my oatmeal (which went horribly) and once with my Kodiak protein pancakes which was a great choice.

Im trying to find ways to use my powder without turning it into a shake (but recipes for shakes are welcome) Ive briefly searched for protein powder recipes on Pinterest but they look fancy & with ingredients that I will buy and use 1 time & probably never again.

Any ideas?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member
    edited July 2020
    I put it in my oatmeal every time.

Blend it first. I put 15g of vanilla protein in 3 ounces of milk, blend, add when the oats are in the pan over the heat.

I put it on popcorn, in baked goods, in fruit smoothies, in greek yogurt, in coffee, lots of ways to use it.
  • tequierosince06
    tequierosince06 Posts: 101 Member
    edited July 2020
    Do you think it would taste ok in tea? Maybe i can try when I make chai tea
  • tequierosince06
    Success! I added it to my chai tea and it worked. I get why u say blend it. I had to use a whisk & even then I still had a few lumps. Now lets see what else I can do.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    I hear you, I'm burnt out on it now. I have so much left but I've been mixing it with Birchbenders and making pancakes. Have Grab N Go food will travel. Makin' sandwiches, makin' copies.

rnvymno3s6sb.png

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Success! I added it to my chai tea and it worked. I get why u say blend it. I had to use a whisk & even then I still had a few lumps. Now lets see what else I can do.

That sounds really good. I now want to buy protein powder just to try this.
  • tequierosince06
    edited July 2020
    harper16 wrote: »

That sounds really good. I now want to buy protein powder just to try this.
    It wasnt bad at all. I used 1/2 scoop of powder and I could barely taste it. The last tiny bits of lumpy powder didn’t bother me either lol. Not sure how u make ur chai tea but I make mine from scratch. I can share recipe if you like
  • tequierosince06
    edited July 2020
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    I hear you, I'm burnt out on it now. I have so much left but I've been mixing it with Birchbenders and making pancakes. Have Grab N Go food will travel. Makin' sandwiches, makin' copies.

rnvymno3s6sb.png

I don’t really like protein powder flavor but Pancakes are def A good option, I dont mind it at all in pancakes.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member
    edited July 2020

You can put it in a clean jar or empty yogurt container with a lid and shake it if your whisk isn't doing the best job.

Now I want protein chai tea.
  • tequierosince06

You can put it in a clean jar or empty yogurt container with a lid and shake it if your whisk isn't doing the best job.

Now I want protein chai tea.

Oh good idea!
  • tequierosince06
    Green tea + protein powder was a success too. Sounds weird but it worked well.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    edited July 2020
    My protein powder doesn't mix well with hot liquids so I "temper" it in room temperature water first and then add it to my (slightly cooled) coffee.

I'm not crazy about PP in recipes, but lots of people raved about a recipe for cheesecake with protein powder. I can't find the link but maybe someone has it bookmarked.
  • MohsenSALAH
    MohsenSALAH Posts: 182 Member
    If your protien shake is vanilla or peanutbutter try pancakes with it, really tastes good
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    You can also make protein balls with them. Pinterest I’m sure has many recipes. I like using dried pitted dates and almond butter for my base. Throw in whatever else you want and a some powder and you’ve got a high protein (likely high fat) snack.
  • tequierosince06
    If your protien shake is vanilla or peanutbutter try pancakes with it, really tastes good

Yes at first pancakes was the only thing i was able to enjoy with it. But now I found that tea works well too.
  • tequierosince06
    fstrickl wrote: »
    You can also make protein balls with them. Pinterest I’m sure has many recipes. I like using dried pitted dates and almond butter for my base. Throw in whatever else you want and a some powder and you’ve got a high protein (likely high fat) snack.

Interesting. I just looked it up. Will try it soon.

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Baking with protein powder can be tricky. Things tend to burn or get very brown so you might want to lower the oven temperature and cut the time.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,294 Member
    I've put it in my plain, non fat greek yogurt before for flavor
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,707 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My protein powder doesn't mix well with hot liquids so I "temper" it in room temperature water first and then add it to my (slightly cooled) coffee.

I'm not crazy about PP in recipes, but lots of people raved about a recipe for cheesecake with protein powder. I can't find the link but maybe someone has it bookmarked.

I only use plant based and find certain brands work different andeach have separate qualities
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    I like to add flavored protein powder to nondairy pudding or yoghurt. Brings the protein up to typical dairy version levels.

Works fine in homemade nondairy ice cream type concoctions (such as made with chia or bananas) or thick frozen fruit shakes verging on soft serve ice cream. I like to also add some fat to frozen concoctions (nut or peanut butter works well).

I'm not that fond of straight protein powder drinks, but when recovering from an illness I blended a banana and cinnamon with protein powder and nondairy milk that tasted good even with all the antibiotics....

I sometimes add it to green drinks also.

Just make sure the protein powder actually tastes good in the first place. Extra protein isn't worth it if the addition doesn't taste good.