Type 2

kellydiane1021
kellydiane1021 Posts: 6 Member
I have recently been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and would love to get support and recipes to help get my weight down and maybe I would not have to take another pill. My husband also is at risk for diabetes but will never admit it.So please tell me which groups will be beneficial!!

Replies

• Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    I can't help with any groups, but if you search for Diabetes in the Search window and then search for Diabetic, some of the threads have got some really useful info from long term MFPers who are also diabetic.

The key info I took from all that I read was to reduce my carbs (Diabetes UK suggests under 130g a day so that's what I aim for). I switch pasta for courgetti where possible (or do half and half), substitute rice for cauliflower rice (or half and half) or just put fewer potatoes on my plate. Mostly I'm still eating the same foods as before, but those changes reduce the calories and the carbs.

Different people find that different things work for them, so it'll be trial and error as to whether it's protein or fat that makes you feel fuller. The usual suggestion I've seen on here is that you should be eating a minimum of 0.6-0.8g of protein per 1lb of your body weight, even more if you're body building or weight lifting. I set my macros such that my Carb percentage roughly works out to 130g, my Protein percentage works out to 0.8g of my body weight in lbs - and then my fat percentage takes up whatever is left to get to 100%.
  • mullanphylane
    mullanphylane Posts: 172 Member
    I was diagnosed with T2D last December, so I'm pretty new to it, too. I've been looking for a group ( or more than one ) that addresses some of the issues concerning diabetes and weight loss, but haven't really found any. You could start the first one. 👍

However, there are many many many posts that can be helpful with weight loss & control, diet, and healthy lifestyles here. I was 80 pounds over my fighting weight and am now 35 pounds lighter, thanks, in part, to the wonderful folks and their advice, here. Being able to track what I eat has been a real boon, too. I can, and do, look at my daily food intakes to see where I can improve.

Ask specific questions. Here and in your search engine. Take what the ADA says with a grain of salt - my personal opinion is that, because its primary funding is from drug companies, it is a bit disingenuous when it comes to suggesting goals and methods to reach them.

Depending on your medication, you will have to pay close attention to not just calories, but carbohydrates, too. One of the keys, though, is a sensible balanced diet and exercise, and that goes for hubby, too. My mantra has become:
    EAT LESS
    EAT BETTER
    MOVE MORE

A starting place for you might be in discovering what foods cause your BG to spike, then reduce or eliminate them. White bread, anything with added sugars, and many artificial sweeteners have adverse effects on blood glucose/sugar levels, so eat things with "healthy" carbs - fruits and veggies (fresher is better), whole grains, etc.

Good luck!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    It's one out of three but most just don't know it...yet. There will be someone in almost all of the groups dealing with it in one form or another. Known or unknown.

https://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/diabetes-organizations-and-journals

https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/basics/index.html

https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/library/features/diabetes-stat-report.html

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetes/expert-answers/dawn-effect/faq-20057937#:~:text=Answer From M.,a.m. — in people with diabetes.

Binge Eating and T2 go hand in hand. Binge Eating earlier in life, late teens and early twenties is often the precursor of T2 later in life. Ravenous appetite that will not be abated is one of the signs along with constant stops and starts. Serial and YoYo Dieting. No shut off valve, no satiety. Intuitive Eating is imaginary thinking for those with T2 or edging their way towards it. You'd have to know what it actually feels like to understand all of this if your body works perfectly with Intuitive Eating.

The sooner you can get a grip on it the better off you'll be. With every passing day and year the ground grows colder. There's so many good resources now. I wish I'd had them when I was a kid.

Do your research along with your medical professional recommendations. Those who research the most...retain the most. It's a powerful learning strategy.
  • TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,538 Member
    My husband is T2 and I am insulin resistant (essentially pre-diabetic, as a result of PCOS). We are Australian, and here we have a government-funded research centre called the CSIRO (Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation), who produced several books and an online platform centred around a low glycemic index diet (it's call the Total Wellbeing Diet). Through their research, they found that this is the most well-balanced type of diet for the majority of people and it is especially recommended for diabetics as the low-GI foods minimise blood sugar spikes and the resulting insulin spikes. I would highly recommend looking into this - their diet is really good as it uses "units" of food (e.g. 3 protein units a day, 2 units of dairy etc.) so you don't actually need to calorie count or count your macros - they also have a whole book of recipes and they use a lot of whole foods. The online platform I believe has a money-back guarantee as well (or it used to!).

https://totalwellbeingdiet.com/au/

A while ago I saw a dietician who is a credentialled diabetes educator (it's an Aussie thing, but I'm sure there would be equivalent qualifications in other countries!). She looked at what foods I was eating and suggested some small changes, all of which were on the basis of lowering the GI of foods I was eating. She confirmed this is the best, most sustainable way to lower your A1C and she told me to avoid any of the fads like keto as they are not really sustainable long-term for most people, and can be dangerous if not monitored correctly (can cause organ damage).

She also mentioned that, because I work a desk job, sitting all day is obviously not good. She said standing up to walk around or stretch every half an hour has been shown to have a big impact on blood sugar levels (obviously this is in addition to getting regular exercise) so I try to do that throughout my day as well. I'd love to have a sit/stand desk but my employer won't allow it!

Good luck, I'm sure you have a long road ahead but I hope that it is not too bumpy!