Binge Eating

Replies

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Any time I have a victory over not binging, it is a major big deal...I am proud of you for resisting the urge...

Btw I would probably have been a wreck worrying about my husband had the police looking for him!
  • Ccricfo
    Ccricfo Posts: 156 Member
    I relate so much to this discussion. My binge behavior kicks into high gear when there is a disruption to my schedule...or I end up home alone for very long. It is almost an emotional rush to start planning my secret binge.
  • conniewilkins56
    Ccricfo wrote: »
    I relate so much to this discussion. My binge behavior kicks into high gear when there is a disruption to my schedule...or I end up home alone for very long. It is almost an emotional rush to start planning my secret binge.

My best secret place to eat was in the car so I could get rid of the evidence before I got home!
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    While I didn’t have a full on binge I did go over my calories for the first time in a while I had to drive to a clinic in another state today (2 hr each way). This clinic is in a town that has my favorite fast food place. I only get to eat there when I go to this state. So I inputted my calories from my favorite sandwhich and my custard. And yes it was A LOT. But as long as I was super good the rest of the day I could fit it in. Then comes the drive home. It stormed the whole way and was very stressful so when I stopped to pee I got a candy bar. Then I saw that the king size were on sale when you bought 2. So yes I bought and ate 2 king sized candy bars. What the heck was I thinking??? This only put me 500 calories over for the day and I have been way under all week so logic brain tells me that I didn’t do that much damage but still. I ate two freaking king sized candy bars! Sigh.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    gewel321 wrote: »
    While I didn’t have a full on binge I did go over my calories for the first time in a while I had to drive to a clinic in another state today (2 hr each way). This clinic is in a town that has my favorite fast food place. I only get to eat there when I go to this state. So I inputted my calories from my favorite sandwhich and my custard. And yes it was A LOT. But as long as I was super good the rest of the day I could fit it in. Then comes the drive home. It stormed the whole way and was very stressful so when I stopped to pee I got a candy bar. Then I saw that the king size were on sale when you bought 2. So yes I bought and ate 2 king sized candy bars. What the heck was I thinking??? This only put me 500 calories over for the day and I have been way under all week so logic brain tells me that I didn’t do that much damage but still. I ate two freaking king sized candy bars! Sigh.

when I find myself craving a chocolate chip cookie, fresh baked and warm, I'll stop at McDonald's and order 1 cookie. In some stores, the cashiers will argue with me to buy 2 "its cheaper" and I tell them if I buy 2 I''m going to eat 2 and I don't want to eat 2, I want to eat 1. Many times I'll order 1 and pay for 1, but when I pull out I see I've got 2 in the bag and yup, you guessed it - 99% of the time I end up eating both.
  • resina
    resina Posts: 17 Member
    An amusing story of a friend who was eating some biscuits at home. Her son came home unexpectedly and she quickly hid the half eaten packet of biscuits in the washing machine. She was very embarrassed when the son went to get his washed clothes out of the machine and found they were all covered in biscuit crumbs. She had forgotten about the biscuits and offered to redo her son's washing.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    hansep0012 wrote: »
    Thought about this thread driving home from work last night and counted the number of drive-through food places I pass before getting on the freeway. Too many (16+). I tried to recall the calories for each signature item, whether it was a burger, chicken, or taco for each place.

Binger-Fat-Brain thought pattern included thinking about how easy and cheap it is to utilize drive-through and then I re-framed my thoughts to include finding a different route to the freeway, praising myself for already having a plan for dinner that kept me in a calorie deficit and that, really, this is not who I am striving to be.

On my way into work this morning, using a different route, I only passed one drive-through establishment. Small changes equal larger victories.

For the longest time I had a rule that I would not use a drive thru, at all. If I wanted to eat fast food I would need to park and go in. This always gave me extra time to decide not to do it. I still eat fast food but because it has a low satiety value for the calories I just can't do it often. With CV19 now they want you using the drive thru more because it is "safer" but I think that is untrue if the restaurant is basically empty, you wear a mask, and wash your hands. I don't know. I want to do what is right for society but it is sad because it was a very easy way to cut down without restricting. I just had to want it enough to get out and get it.
  • tempe987
    tempe987 Posts: 39 Member
    I had a bit of an "epiphany" last night.

We decided to order pizza, which would have been fine if I kept the portions under control. But... I didn't.

Pizza is a binge trigger for me... at least that is the best way I can describe. It's like i just lost all control and just kept eating...

Now I feel guilty about it. I forced myself to track it this morning though.

It hasn't happened with any other "fast food/restaurant food" I've been able to keep portions ok and within my target calories for the day.
  • NovusDies
    edited July 2020
    tempe987 wrote: »
    I had a bit of an "epiphany" last night.

We decided to order pizza, which would have been fine if I kept the portions under control. But... I didn't.

Pizza is a binge trigger for me... at least that is the best way I can describe. It's like i just lost all control and just kept eating...

Now I feel guilty about it. I forced myself to track it this morning though.

It hasn't happened with any other "fast food/restaurant food" I've been able to keep portions ok and within my target calories for the day.

@tempe987

If you learned from it then it was a valuable experience. Education is needed if you intend to manage your weight for the rest of your life. Since you didn't come with a user's manual you have to learn and it often requires learning it in the manner you did.

Because this is an important goal I consider it part of my plan not a deviation. I am not sure if you can learn to view it that way but it might help you set the guilt aside, at least faster.

Now that you know pizza is a trigger you know it might be a good idea to avoid it for a time and the next time have a plan to try and change the outcome. That plan may not work either but then you will learn more.

Forgiveness is extremely important though. You will not be perfect and your binges are not a result of weakness. In the Atomic Habits book James Clear, the author, suggests that the people who seem to have the most discipline are not really special they just live lives that either naturally or intentionally keep them out of the path of temptation. So if one of them had a weakness for doughnuts their "discipline" is really that they are never around doughnuts.

• tempe987
    tempe987 Posts: 39 Member
    @NovusDies

I definitely think the realization helped me set the guilt aside yesterday and move forward.. otherwise based on hindsight I would have spiraled.
  • NovusDies
    Yesterday I had about 1900 calories and I didn’t swim...we went to lunch and I had two martinis...this morning my weight was up a couple of pounds...BUT I didn’t binge and I had two scones at bedtime, measured and weighed....it was not a perfect day but it didn’t trigger me....I think it was a win day for me!

@conniewilkins56

WOOHOO!!

I am so happy right now. That is awesome! You are awesome!
  • conniewilkins56
    I was especially awesome after two martinis lol
  • NovusDies
    I was especially awesome after two martinis lol

lol. I imagine I am a real lightweight now since it has been so much time and so many pounds since my last drink. I am not even sure when I will have something again but I will have to be really careful.
  • speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    I'm so sorry Connie! The fall sounds awful and being so bruised and swollen does do horrible things for your self esteem and sense of inner strength. You turned to old habits because you were in a bad place. And it sounds like you paid the price this morning. But I am so proud that you have the self awareness today to see what happened, why it happened and the strength and resolve to gird yourself and move on from yesterday. Sending big hugs to you. You know that as soon as the swelling goes down, that weight will drop too. You are going to be okay.