Which one of these three exercises is best for chest?

1. Standard push-up
2. Flat dumbbell chest press
3. Dumbbell chest flies

I'm wanting to focus more on my back as far as upper body training goes because I trained too much chest in the past, leading to an imbalance and shoulder injury.

Replies

• bdelaney33
    bdelaney33 Posts: 150 Member
    For beginners; I don't think you can beat the standard push up.
  • MamaOne13
    MamaOne13 Posts: 66 Member
    Would it be enough to hit most/every muscle of the chest or should I add in variations? Like one day standard push-up and the next incline push up?
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Of the three, the flies would be least effective as they target a smaller muscle group within the chest.

That said, I can’t do a push up yet, so I go with flat bench press and incline bench press for chest (I also do flies, but just because I want a little extra chest exercise in there on upper day).

You mention focusing on your back in your post, but the exercises you list won’t do anything for your back, except the push ups. I do lat pulldowns and row for my back exercises
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    The one you respond to best as a individual.

I'm a bit confused on your question otherwise.

Best for chest...what?

Best for hypertrophy, strength, accessory, supplimental, recovery, endurance,...?
  • MamaOne13
    As my main chest movement 🤷
    Like for example, if I have two upper body days they'd be roughly like this:

1. Rows
    2. Pullups
    3. Pushups
    4. Biceps/tricep superset
    5. Landmine press
  • MamaOne13
    And I'm focusing on hypertrophy at the moment, so obviously everything would be like 8-12 rep range.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    It would also depend on how strong you are and if doing 8-10 pushups would lead to hypertrophy, or if you would need heavy dumbbells for chest press.
  • MamaOne13
    I'm pretty weak at the moment haha. I had open heart surgery a little over a year ago which threw me off from working out (especially chest 😅)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited July 2020
    MamaOne13 wrote: »
    And I'm focusing on hypertrophy at the moment, so obviously everything would be like 8-12 rep range.

Hypertrophy can be achieved in various rep ranges.

The key is sufficient volume with full recruitment of muscle motors.

Depending on how programming is structured for a individual, 8-12 reps can miss this 🔑 while 4 or 18 reps can open it.