Looking for MenoFitnessPals

Replies

• seamonster99
    seamonster99 Posts: 184 Member
    edited June 2020
    New here. Turned 56 last month and am FINALLY officially done, a year clear, no HRT. Don't know if it was covid and lockdown or the menopause timing, but I gained 15 pounds since Feb and am now my highest weight ever, though I carry the weight well. I've got a good metabolism and always lost weight relatively easily, but that seems to have vanished literally overnight. SO, I continue to refine a healthier routine, and have several weeks of decent exercise, no booze, and 1200 well balanced calories a day. But I've only lost > 2 pounds! So discouraging. And this band around my midsection is like some kind of evil being. Similar journey?
  • megan9567
    megan9567 Posts: 157 Member
    edited June 2020
    New here. Turned 56 last month and am FINALLY officially done, a year clear, no HRT. Don't know if it was covid and lockdown or the menopause timing, but I gained 15 pounds since Feb and am now my highest weight ever, though I carry the weight well. I've got a good metabolism and always lost weight relatively easily, but that seems to have vanished literally overnight. SO, I continue to refine a healthier routine, and have several weeks of decent exercise, no booze, and 1200 well balanced calories a day. But I've only lost > 2 pounds! So discouraging. And this band around my midsection is like some kind of evil being. Similar journey?

Yes. I am also in very similar situation. No HRT. I gained 16 lbs in a very short time. I gained the extra weight in my midsection mostly and in my upper arm but I started losing muscle mass gradually in the last ten years. I also lost half an inch of height according to my doctor. I started my journey in May to stop the damage. I dropped Oat flour, potato and regular pasta. I love my fruits and vegetables so I am not doing keto. I am also under 1200 a day well balanced diet. I already shed 11 lbs but interesting enough it came from my hip, breast, and face; the three areas that I was happy with. I now have the biggest dimple in my butt but so far the belly fat and upper arm fat remain. I have been doing a minimum of 10,500 steps a day.
    The important thing for me is the firmness and when the gyms open again the strength training. I don’t mind weighing more than I did if I can get rid of the flabby arms, flabby inner thighs and the muffin top belly and stop the bone breakdown.

• zumbaforever
    zumbaforever Posts: 6,844 Member
    I just joined this group today and am interested in reading through what everyone has been writing. I will be 60 in October. I have been slightly overweight most of my adult life. And always muscular. I notice that my arms are getting a bit flabby and I would like to make that stop. Just looking for a few new friends to chat with about it and encourage each other.

Shelley
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member

Yes, yes and yes! I am 56, and was up to my highest weight ever after Easter (too many Easter eggs). I am 5'11" so 1200 calories/day is not really an option for me (as I have learned the hard way). I am trying for 1390 and the spare tyre *is* shifting but very slowly (10lb / 5kg in two months) and only with a lot of exercise. Would love to be at normal bmi by mid August.
  • zumbaforever
    edited July 2020
    charmmeth wrote: »

Yes, yes and yes! I am 56, and was up to my highest weight ever after Easter (too many Easter eggs). I am 5'11" so 1200 calories/day is not really an option for me (as I have learned the hard way). I am trying for 1390 and the spare tyre *is* shifting but very slowly (10lb / 5kg in two months) and only with a lot of exercise. Would love to be at normal bmi by mid August.

I to would love to get back to a lower weight. Today I weighed in at 149. Been good all day and lots of walking. Hoping for even a 2 ounce loss tomorrow. I have a Fitbit and am eating at a 500 to 750 calorie deficit to reach my goals. And I love Easter eggs and all chocolate also. Wish I loved vegetable as much!
  • seamonster99
    seamonster99 Posts: 184 Member
    charmmeth wrote: »

Ah yes, easter eggs, the gift that keeps on giving. Sigh. I've eased up on the 1200 in the past couple of weeks - and it seems to have helped break my plateau.
  • charmmeth
    edited July 2020
    Ah yes, easter eggs, the gift that keeps on giving. Sigh. I've eased up on the 1200 in the past couple of weeks - and it seems to have helped break my plateau.

Easter eggs - milk chocolate - are fat-bombs, I have learned. Also that it is definitely possible to eat too little to lose weight as well as too much. It's very good news that your plateau seems to be coming to an end.

• zumbaforever
    I am using my Fitbit to try and stay within a healthy goal. As long as I log everything I eat it lets me know if I have gone over. Or even if I am way under. Like that happens to often! ;)
  • DJBO65
    DJBO65 Posts: 26 Member
    My name is Debbie and i am not long off 55 years young. I am almost a year going through menopause. I also have an under active thyroid, diagnosed in 2012.
    I am really struggling to lose weight as i think my metabolism has slowed down.
    I am eating healthy, exercising and counting calories. I have completely changed my eating habits and want to keep to my new healthy lifestyle. Feel free to add me if you want mutual support ☺
  • EML112610
    EML112610 Posts: 27 Member
    Im 44 and this sucks!!! Lol
  • charmmeth
    Agreed!
  • cstein71
    cstein71 Posts: 38 Member
    I, too am looking for support here. I am struggling to lose this weight I have gained during menopause. Please add me as a friend.
  • MountainLaurel787
    MountainLaurel787 Posts: 45 Member
    I haven't posted in here for quite a while. I reached my goal weight a little under 2 years ago but I'm back after putting the majority of it back on. I went a bit overboard in baking for stress relief! I started actively trying to eat better in November and I've dropped about 13 lbs. But I'm with the rest of you, it is so much harder than before! I celebrated my 56th birthday a couple weeks ago. I don't like all of the "extras" that come with menopause and age but I hope to accept it with some grace, laughter and a pinch of dignity. ;) I've already read some great tips here and I could really use some friends who are traveling the same road.
  • maryefudge
    maryefudge Posts: 1 Member
    I am 58 and postmenopausal. Always struggled with my weight, but I've gained 10 lbs. in the last year and it's not pretty. I need help staying on track with my eating.
  • charmmeth
    maryefudge wrote: »
    I am 58 and postmenopausal. Always struggled with my weight, but I've gained 10 lbs. in the last year and it's not pretty. I need help staying on track with my eating.

You have my sympathy! I lost down to my goal weight at Christmas, but have put 2kg back on again. Back to logging...
  • olgutza
    olgutza Posts: 3 Member
    I am new here. I am also struggling with weight loss post menopause. 20 pounds gain in two years, and sciatica on top of it. Still trying to find the right supplements to fight mood changes, and lack of energy. I am grateful for your support.
  • BeautyNBriefcase
    BeautyNBriefcase Posts: 38 Member
    please add me. I'm working with a nutritionist and a fitness coach all powered by my employer wellness program and would love to share my learnings :)
  • justtodayjen333
    justtodayjen333 Posts: 142 Member
    I can use all the support I can get, so please add me as a friend. I'm 48 years old. Over the last two years, I've gained 50 lbs. With the start of a new job this fall, I've used food as my main source of entertainment. I'm here to lose this weight and live differently, developing new habits that support a healthier way of living. Looking forward to connecting with some of you!
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Add me.

49 yrs old, post menopausal and pre diabetic. Need all the support and help I can get.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I did some searching and found this group

I am only 42 and believe with some signs I am seeing, I am perimenopause. I am seeing changes in my monthly (not so monthly now) cycle and a lot of weight gain.

I need some support and help.