Can someone emplain this to me!

kandivl_3
kandivl_3 Posts: 10 Member
Hi everybody!
I have read that the body is best suited for speed not forces?? What does that mean?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Can you link where you read that as it doesn't mean anything to me either?
  • kandivl_3
    I screen shot the pragraph so you can read it
  • kandivl_3
    I think you will have difficulty to read it this way so let me type what it says:
    " the body is best suited for speed, not force. Thus, even though you are weak at the beginning of a straight-set elbow flexion movement, you posses the ability to develop great speed in the hand ( if the resistance is not too great). Very little shortening of the muscles produce a large movement of the hand. This is known as having a physiological advantage, which is very important in speed and quick"
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    and who said this? was it aimed at you personally?
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited July 2020
    kandivl_3 wrote: »

Can you share the source of that information? Who wrote the article?
  • kandivl_3
    harper16 wrote: »
    kandivl_3 wrote: »

Can you share the source of that information? Who wrote the article?

It's ISSA book: "fitness: the complete guide"
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I guess if thinking in a purely mechanical movement frame of reference, with a long lever as in curl example - then a light force on the short end produces a fast movement on the other end.
    As opposed to say the other way around.
    If that's what they mean, many of the pivot points do that with muscle attachments.

I'm betting if it was opposite though and even greater weights could be managed, you'd be finding the max on tendon attachment to the bone.

Which makes it all the more incredible what is obtained for strength in lifting competitions.