Breakfast....What do you have ??

They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day (not 100% sure 😒) but anyway..what do you have. Don't bother or do you bulk up and make it last till dinner or even tea time. High in carbs or protein or mixed. Just want to get some ideas and see if there's something else out there that I've overlooked and never tried before. Thanks.

Replies

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    I have 4 different breakfasts in my rotation:

1. Nothing. There's days I'm just not hungry. I don't see the point of forcing myself to eat just to eat.
    2. Oats with flax seeds, yogurt, whatever fruit is in season or frozen fruit and some kind of spice (usually cinnamon or cardamon. More rarely pepper or clove). That's my usual workday breakfast.
    3. 2 slices of bread with 1 slice of cheese, butter and jam (one slice is topped with the cheese, one with the butter and jam). That's usually my weekend breakfast.
    4. Pancakes with fruit and whipped cream (a rare Sunday breakfast).

I'm a creature of habit where breakfasts are concerned. Not willing to put more thought into something that early in the morning :lol:
  • Rorrox
    Rorrox Posts: 2 Member
    Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day. I mostly have eggs and fish in different ways. Okonomiyaki is a fave and easy!

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I go for simple and convenient so most of the time it's two slices of toast (multigrain, whole wheat, white, whatever we have) with peanut butter and jam and a black coffee or espresso. Sometimes I have eggs with it. Sometimes I have pancakes with peanut butter, syrup and fruit instead.

As mentioned you don't have to eat first thing if you'd rather save calories for later in the day. Do what works for you.
  • imgwendolyn2015
    imgwendolyn2015 Posts: 348 Member
    When I feel the need to eat before 10am I usually eat one hard boiled egg and some greek yogurt with a little honey and blueberries. If I am not hungry until after 10 I just go ahead and eat lunch which is a salad.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    During weekdays, I’ll often have a homemade trail mix that includes almonds, roasted edamame, and other mix ins like granola. The edamame gives it more protein than a trail mix you’d buy in the store.

Weekends, I love being more flexible. Leftovers with fried eggs on top, omelettes with caramelized onions and whatever cheese/protein/veggies are handy and delicious. Sometimes we’ll plan a big waffle brunch (last time we did cheddar and bacon in the batter, yum!)
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    I usually have overnite oats or broccoli cheddar eggs muffins or omelet w' tortillas
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    I like breakfast myself, though I try to delay it later. I'll have toast with about 1/4 serving of peanut butter first thing when I get up along with my coffee before I do my morning walk or elliptical session. Then usually later in the morning, I'll have either eggs and bacon, or more rarely sausage with toast, or oatmeal or overnight oats, or grits. I like Krusteaz protein pancake mix, and once in a great while I'll make waffles. I've figured out a very low calorie dip for french toast, too, that goes well with low calorie bread. And once in a very great while, I'll fix biscuits and gravy as a rare treat.

I don't do cereal anymore, though - the calories just aren't worth it to me because cereal doesn't satiate me at all. I'm not a fan of fruit or breakfast breads like donuts, but that's just my personal preferences; things like that don't hold me either, so I tend to avoid them.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Rejueven-eat! Depending on what I did the day before it's great carbs, calorie deficient protein to fast a bit or a protein load.

1 Oatmeal w banana and a scoop of protein powder
    2 2- hard boiled eggs
    3 Big bowl of Greek Plain yogurt with fruit
  • Nbaker0909
    Nbaker0909 Posts: 102 Member
    I love breakfast and I tend to switch it up! Current favorites are kodiak pancakes with Walden sugar free syrup, oatmeal, English muffin with mashed avocado and an egg. To clarify these are 3 different breakfasts, not all in one morning haha. I always have a piece of fruit and coffee with breakfast. Some of my other go-tos are overnight oats, protein shake when I’m in a hurry, a smoothie, protein bar (again for the rare morning im in a rush), bagel toasted open face with a piece of cheese melted on top, toast with peanut butter. I find breakfast holds me over the longest when it has a combination of fat, protein, and carbs. My calories for breakfast can vary by a lot depending on what I’m in the mood for.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I've tried IF and not eating breakfast, but found out that I feel much better throughout the day if I eat something after my AM workout. So that's what I do. It's typically leftovers from a previous day, as I don't really like having to prepare anything in the morning.

If I don't have leftovers, I'll have something like overnight oats or a protein shake. Sometimes I'll make a big batch of granola and have that for a couple of weeks as well.
  • dawnkirkwood18
    dawnkirkwood18 Posts: 41 Member
    I am not a big morning eater but do need something so I do cold coffee with protein powder in it as a breakfast- holds me from 6 am until 1 pm or so for lunch usually
  • Kristi26
    Kristi26 Posts: 184 Member
    edited July 2020
    Most days (Sunday morning breakfast as a family being the exception), I have the following:
    1. Hot beverage (coffee, teeccino, or chai tea)
    2. Two pancakes (gluten free and dairy free due to food sensitivities)
    3. Protein shake (almond milk, ice, protein powder, powdered PB, spinach)

I’m terrible at getting protein into my diet daily so this helps me get to the right numbers. Plus it tastes good to me.

I then eat lunch, an afternoon snack, and dinner. So probably every two to three hours or so. It works for me. I don’t want to be hungry and don’t see a need to feel that way.

On Sundays, we eat breakfast together as a family later in the morning, close to lunch so I skip lunch and just have dinner. But I also eat double the calories at Sunday breakfast.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    If I work out in the morning I like to eat after that. If I work out later in the day I often skip breakfast.

When I eat breakfast, I often skip lunch.

When I do have breakfast, I like to have some veg with it, and my usual go-tos are a 2-egg and veg omelet (I will often have either cottage cheese or fruit on the side) or else a smoothie (mine tend to have more veg than fruit and I include some source of fat (half an avocado or nuts or seeds) and usually greek yogurt or tofu for protein). The smoothie is often what I want when it's hot like it's been.

For a while I was on an oats kick and would usually make those in a rice cooker when I was out running and have them when I got back.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited July 2020
    Lately just a bagel, a scoop of collagen protein mixed with hot water and cashew milk. I get up at 5am, do my morning training and typically eat by 10am...
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Weekdays I have half a cup of oatmeal with 2 sunny side up eggs and .5 a serving of cheddar cheese all mixed together in a bowl. It’s very filling and helps me get a good start on the day.

Weekends I have bisquick waffles with reduced calorie syrup and a little pat of butter
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    The whole "most important meal of the day" started with Kellogs to market breakfast cereal. There is nothing particularly special about breakfast. I enjoy a big full on breakfast of eggs, potatoes, and either bacon or sausage and sometimes both...but that's typically reserved for weekends or camping and the like. During the week I don't have time for that so I often don't have breakfast and prefer larger meals for lunch and dinner and afternoon snacks. If I have something it's usually a couple boiled eggs or something as I'm walking out the door. I like oats too...but usually have those for an afternoon snack or something.
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Very little if anything. I wake up around 6am and don't feel hungry until around 10, so I usually just wait til lunch. On the days I do decide on breakfast, it's something light- cottage cheese with blueberries, or a yogurt.