Meats that are good for Keto

I bought a lot of chicken breast. I know that chicken breast is really lean and can kick you out of ketosis. I'm trying to finish it off so I can buy a different of meat. I was thinking about beef but I'm not sure what type to buy. I buy any meat that has a good percentage of fat so I don't have to eat avocado and nuts to get my fat in.

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,044 Member
    Fish ...Chicken....Ribeyes..sirloin....pork
  • KrissDotCom
    KrissDotCom Posts: 217 Member
    ... maybe im confused here.. but carbs are supposed to kick you out of ketosis..

So why is chicken not keto friendly?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I bought a lot of chicken breast. I know that chicken breast is really lean and can kick you out of ketosis. I'm trying to finish it off so I can buy a different of meat. I was thinking about beef but I'm not sure what type to buy. I buy any meat that has a good percentage of fat so I don't have to eat avocado and nuts to get my fat in.

Too much protein in general can kick you out of ketosis, not just chicken. Eating a significant amount of fattier cuts of meat is also going to come with a significant amount of protein. It's not the fat that keeps you in ketosis...it's low carb and lower to moderate amounts of protein because carbs and protein can be converted to glucose. How much protein is too much I couldn't tell you.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Fat is not what keeps you in ketosis... lack of carbs keeps you in ketosis. As long as you keep your carbs below a certain amount (usually less than 50g net for most people), you should remain in ketosis.

When you eat a lot, like > 200g of protein a day, some of it might be converted to glucose and cause a slight rise in BG readings, but it shouldn't be enough to kick you out of ketosis. Converting protein to sugar in the body is a biologically expensive process and the body tries to avoid it as much as possible.

There is nothing wrong with eating lean meats when doing keto... just cook them in olive oil or butter to add some fat back into the meal. Personally, I like to add some sausage or other fatty meat in with my chicken - adds flavor and fat at the same time.
  • worldinplace
    worldinplace Posts: 19 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Too much protein in general can kick you out of ketosis, not just chicken. Eating a significant amount of fattier cuts of meat is also going to come with a significant amount of protein. It's not the fat that keeps you in ketosis...it's low carb and lower to moderate amounts of protein because carbs and protein can be converted to glucose. How much protein is too much I couldn't tell you.

My chicken breast is over 200g so I probably get kick out of ketosis.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    I want to know what your eating. Is it bread? Chips? Peaches?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

While a lot of protein can blunt ketone production, its would only be short term and often won't even blunt it to a point to getting out of ketosis. More importantly, unless you have a metabolic disorder where ketones are a necessity, than it doesn't matter.

OP, you should never stress that you are eating too much protein. Its just not a thing. In fact, protein not only satiates people, it helps with muscle preservation. If anything, i would do more protein vs fats.