Gaining weight too fast?

So I'm confused... I desperately need to gain weight, and I should be happy about this but I'm getting a bit concerned over why/how I'm suddenly gaining weight on so few calories.

Several weeks ago, I was losing weight on 1,500 calories a day (not trying to lose though). I tried to increase it, and managed to get up to 1,700 calories a day and instantly began gaining weight at about 1.5lb/week. But in the past week I've not been tolerating as much (I'm so full and nauseous I feel like I just ate a thanksgiving feast all the time) and have been averaging around 1,600 calories a day. Suddenly, I'm gaining .5lb a day and have continued this for six days (my doctor has me take my dry weight every morning). I'm strictly tube fed through my small intestine and my fluid/formula intake is consistent so I know I'm getting in what I think. The only thing that has changed is that my activity has slightly increased.

Should I be concerned? Any ideas why I'm suddenly gaining weight so fast? Will the weight gain likely slow down? Thanks!

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    If you feel full and nauseous it's possible you are bloated or experiencing digestive issues. If you are retaining water or digestive contents, that shows up on the scale too.

I would strongly suggest calling your doctor's office and seeing what they think.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    How long have you been gaining weight at 1.5 lb/week?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited July 2020
    3lbs over three days even with your condition doesn't sound like reliable data on anything is actually is to be concerning or valid for "rapid weight gain".

If you are looking for answers, perhaps talking it over with your doctor would be best. He/she has way more info on you as a individual and what is to be expected than random strangers on the internet.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    3lbs over three days even with your condition doesn't sound like reliable data on anything is actually is to be concerning or valid for "rapid weight gain".

If you are looking for answers, perhaps talking it over with your doctor would be best. He/she has way more info on you as a individual and what is to be expected than random strangers on the internet.

Yeah man, I mean seriously - if you're being fed through a tube into your stomach, WE (meaning the MFP community) are NOT going to be able to give you the advice you are looking for. YOUR doctor - not just any doctor, but YOURS - needs to be your go-to for this information.
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    You have to stick with anything for at least 2 weeks to see if it is working or not. I can gain 10 to 20 lbs in a day, easy depending on food weight and sodium and water