Meal Replacement Shakes

Hi! I just started my most recent weight loss journey yesterday. I chose to do meal replacement protein shakes. So far I found that 1% milk makes them so much tastier. Using water wasn’t for me. Should I switch to something with less calories? Or is 1% milk ok? Also, on top of the protein shakes, I’m eating healthy dinners. I’ve dieted in the past, but I’ve never dieted using shakes. It’s always been just good old fashion healthy eating and calorie counting. Anyone else diet both ways in the past? What way gave you better/quicker results? Thank you!

Replies

• Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,310 Member
    I make a shake every day, I use Cashew milk because I love it & 25 cal/cup
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I would ask, why replacement shakes? I mean, i think the research backs them for certain parts of the weight loss community. Since you claim to have a history of portion control, I'm kind of lost.
  • Tonydevolanii
    Tonydevolanii Posts: 658 Member
    Eat normal food
    Lock the thread
  • keke7133
    keke7133 Posts: 34 Member
    My kids aren’t picky. If mom likes it, they usually like it also! My problem is getting my husband to eat healthier. He likes take out and fried foods way too much. Say he wants a cheeseburger for lunch, I’d have to make him the cheeseburger, and make myself something else bc I know I can’t just eat some of that burger. I’d eat it all. I have no will power when it comes to tacos, burgers, and chicken wings. Lol I have to either eat all healthy, or all bad. I’m hoping I can start to slowly get him on the bandwagon, then I can stop the shakes and eat healthy meals as a family. Shakes have been a great start, but I know it’s not something I can keep doing forever.
  • mc62412
    mc62412 Posts: 195 Member
    I use shakes. When I’m running behind or just super busy they are a life saver. You do what ever works for you.
    I went one week before with one of my meals being a replacement shake. Sometimes it’s just so busy !!
    Some weeks I’ll drink them more others not so much or not at all. Everyone is different. I find that what I’ve been doing is absolutely working for me so that’s just the way I’m rolling. 😄
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    My wife has a protein shake almost daily. Together, we lost over 130 lbs and have kept it off for around 10 years.

She found out she has a cow dairy allergy so she uses vegan protein powders and likes a milk that's half cashew and half coconut (I think it's a Silk brand). It's her way of feeling like she's drinking a milkshake without the guilt.

She uses just a bit of frozen fruit and ice along with it and blends them in a blender.

I do the same a few days a week but not as often after workouts for a meal replacement. If I don't have leftovers in the fridge I'll make one. I like frozen berries in mine -- love the polyphenols and they are lower calorie. If I do a harder workout, I might put in a half of a frozen banana as well (but I've been in maintenance for years and I'm not in a calorie deficit).
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited July 2020
    Do what works for you. If low fat milk fits in your calories and makes the shake enjoyable and you find it filling: go for it.

Personally I do a decent amount of (calorie controlled) fast food and/or frozen food. Some would say frozen/highly processed food is not healthy. But if it makes life easier and fits in my calories and $ budget: Success.

As to the household/family/etc.: if you want to expand their horizons in terms of food then go for it gradually. We each play roles in our own households. One spouse may handle most of the kitchen stuff while the other spouse handles much of the yard work. Nothing wrong with that. At least until the kids get older and you can farm those tasks onto teenage labor!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    For me, they do lack the satiety factor. After a time, you may choose to use them as a supplement instead of a MR. I have whopping boatloads of protein powders that I don't want to waste. I'm making pancakes out of them for sandwiches, omelettes and crepes. Adding fruits, vegetables and other proteins of every kind.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    edited July 2020
    keke7133 wrote: »
    My kids aren’t picky. If mom likes it, they usually like it also! My problem is getting my husband to eat healthier. He likes take out and fried foods way too much. Say he wants a cheeseburger for lunch, I’d have to make him the cheeseburger, and make myself something else bc I know I can’t just eat some of that burger. I’d eat it all. I have no will power when it comes to tacos, burgers, and chicken wings. Lol I have to either eat all healthy, or all bad. I’m hoping I can start to slowly get him on the bandwagon, then I can stop the shakes and eat healthy meals as a family. Shakes have been a great start, but I know it’s not something I can keep doing forever.

My OH and I have burgers together - his are around 6 oz and mine are exactly 4 oz. He has a big bun (and cheese.) I have a big salad with a half serving of tortilla chips. He grills, I do the rest.

In fact, maybe we will do this for dinner tomorrow night...

We don't do tacos, but I do do something similar with burritos - he has regular burritos and I have a big salad with the burrito fixings and a half of a tortilla, toasted.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'd say the biggest downside to a meal replacement shake is that you don't really learn anything for the long term. You don't really learn how you should be eating, nutrition, etc. I also find shakes pretty unsatisfying as a meal replacement personally

Also, are you actually using a meal replacement? You say meal replacement shake and then protein shake. A protein shake isn't really a meal replacement unless you're adding other things...otherwise it's just protein and a protein supplement. A meal replacement shake is going to include other nutrition that your body needs, not just protein. If you're just drinking protein shakes for two meals and then dinner, I'd wager that you aren't really meeting your overall nutritional needs in regards to vitamins and minerals and the like.

I agree. If you are struggling with protein intake, a shake helps, but I think the research points to eaten calories being more satisfying vs liquid. I prefer to eat my protein.
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    keke7133 wrote: »

My OH and I have burgers together - his are around 6 oz and mine are exactly 4 oz. He has a big bun (and cheese.) I have a big salad with a half serving of tortilla chips. He grills, I do the rest.

In fact, maybe we will do this for dinner tomorrow night...

We don't do tacos, but I do do something similar with burritos - he has regular burritos and I have a big salad with the burrito fixings and a half of a tortilla, toasted.

Am I invited?😉