vitamins for Women

What are the best vitamins for an 30 year old women weight gainers. I'm trying to start weight training.

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Hey there! Off the bat: I'm not gaining but, you know, I lift a lil.

That said, you may very well see quite a few existing forum threads say you don't need vitamins or supps. Protein powder often being the exception (I prefer Vega even though I'm no longer vegan).

Other than that, and as you already may know, women in our community can often have an issue with low iron. So you may want to ask your doctor, pharmacist, or another member of your healthcare team about a daily multivit or dedicated iron supp. But that's not related to lifting, just life lol
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Not related to lifting, a lot of people are vitamin D deficient, it's the most common deficiency in developed countries. Also, magnesium is the second most common deficiency.

If you are of childbearing age and have the possibility of a child in the future, folate is recommended.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,311 Member
    If you’re eating a varied diet with plenty of veggies, lean meat and whole foods then most people don’t need vitamin supplements. If you’re in an area with low light (some of the northern hemisphere for instance) then Vit D can be recommended. In addition, many cereals, bread and even some biscuits now are fortified so you can always eat them. I’m partial to a couple of Belvita as part of my mid-afternoon snack and they have lots of vitamins and calcium in them (in addition to sugar obvs!).
  • stuffyknee
    stuffyknee Posts: 13 Member
    Lots of people need b12 supplementation. Especially important if you're vegan.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    None unless you have been declared deficient by medical testing. Waste of money according to established evidence.

The only over the counter suppliment I advice relative to your question is creatine monohydrate. Unless you have preexisting kidney issues, it will be of some help to the majority of people of any age.