Anyone on levlen/Eleanor for Endo?

So I’ve just been diagnosed with Endo and my dr has put me on Eleanor/Levlen. I’m scared to gain weight but I’m more scared of reviews online. My doctor assured me that the majority of her clients don’t have issues with it. Anyone have any experience with Levlen and weight gain and other side effects?

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited July 2020
    From what I read, Eleanor/Levlen don't have weight gain listed as likely side effects. You do have to be aware of all the possible side effects of "the pill" in general. I stopped taking the pill when I was hitting my thirties and was an overweight smoker but I was only taking it for birth control, not other issues. You need to weigh the alternatives and likelihood of side effects with any drug.

Here's a link with accurate info: https://www.nps.org.au/medicine-finder/eleanor-150-30-ed-tablets
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Yeah I’ve read everything online I just wanted some personal opinion I guess. Thank you though
  • LeiLaura
    LeiLaura Posts: 238 Member
    I haven't tried Levlen, I'm afraid, but I found the Mirena coil the best thing for my endo by a country mile. Looking back, though, I was on the pill as a young adult (to control my acne!) and I believe it kept my endo at bay for years. It helped the spots, too, but I'm not sure about the weight thing as I was 15-20 and going through a lot of changes anyway. I did put on weight, but I had bulimia back then. Right now, I'm using the Nexplanon implant. Jury's still out
    Don't think it increased my weight (I lost 2.5 stones on it last year, since put 2/3 back on), but it took over a year for my periods to stop, and even one period with endo can encourage this pernicious disease no end. My advice is to priorise halting or managing the endo right now - you won't care about diet or exercise if your in pain anyway. You can still lose weight on hormonal medicine, even if it's a wee bit more stubborn at first. Good luck, let us know how you get on!
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    LeiLaura wrote: »
    I haven't tried Levlen, I'm afraid, but I found the Mirena coil the best thing for my endo by a country mile. Looking back, though, I was on the pill as a young adult (to control my acne!) and I believe it kept my endo at bay for years. It helped the spots, too, but I'm not sure about the weight thing as I was 15-20 and going through a lot of changes anyway. I did put on weight, but I had bulimia back then. Right now, I'm using the Nexplanon implant. Jury's still out
    Don't think it increased my weight (I lost 2.5 stones on it last year, since put 2/3 back on), but it took over a year for my periods to stop, and even one period with endo can encourage this pernicious disease no end. My advice is to priorise halting or managing the endo right now - you won't care about diet or exercise if your in pain anyway. You can still lose weight on hormonal medicine, even if it's a wee bit more stubborn at first. Good luck, let us know how you get on!

Thanks so much for this. I’m terrified of my period because the pain is intolerable which makes weightloss impossible for two weeks of every month (lead up to and active period) so I’m really hoping this works. I appreciate your input.
  • LeiLaura
    LeiLaura Posts: 238 Member
    You're very welcome. I've been there. I'd still be there without hormonal birth control and my amazing surgeon. Look after yourself and be gentle with your body just now. Focus on balance - food, exercise, pain control. Maybe "reverse diet": plug in your maintenance calories for your desired weight and eat to those - you'll lose weight slowly, but with less daily effort, and reach goal in time without putting extra stress on your body. Maybe go swimming if you can find a pool that's open (I miss it so much!). Water always soothes my pain, and it holds your body in a state of near weightlessness, so again : low impact. Balance is key, for sustainability and pain control. Now, I just need to practise what I preach :) Take care x