Gained 5 lbs in week

Hi all,

I have just finished my first week in attempts to gain weight. I am not too focused on muscle mass at the moment as I am quite underweight, so I’m just focusing on drinking weight gainer once a day, and getting as many calories in from normal meals as possible.

I am a 20 year old male, 5’10, and only weighed 8st on the dot, this time last week. As you can imagine I’m quite underweight and dont like the fact that I’m as skinny as I am.

Anyhow, I weighed myself again today, at the same time as last Sunday, just before bed. I now weigh 5lbs heavier than i did this time last sunday, I have probably ate alot more food today than I did last sunday, but was wondering how much of this weight gain might actually be real gain, and how much might be natural weight fluctation/calorie intake etc.

Also I’m thinking maybe if I weighed myself in the morning my results may be more consistent? Please let me know of any tips/if these results are plausible or if my weighing scales have broke! ;)

Thanks.

Replies

• RhythmKnightx
    RhythmKnightx Posts: 11 Member
    You need to weigh yourself naked after urinating in the morning. That's the most accurate way to check results. You could also poop prior but it only changed the scale by 0.2 kg so it doesn't matter much.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Valid weigh-in to minimize known water weight flucuations (not eliminate them).

Morning after rest day eating normal sodium levels.

Cut's out water weight drop from workout sweating a lot and not drinking it all back yet.
    Water weight gain from being sore after a workout.
    Water weight gain from high sodium meal (though effects of high sodium meal can take several days).

And beyond a best time, still use like Trendweight or similar.

Indeed more food in stomach to come out as waste will increase weight a bit. If curious weigh next time before/after.

Are you working out or just needing to gain some fat?
    Usually that will add in 1 main spot for most people - tummy.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Just a couple of things.

Unless you're consuming more calories than your body burns(TDEE), your weight gain is more than likely temporary.

For the body to gain 1lb/.45kg, one must consume an excess of 3500 calories. So keep that in mind if you are logging calories.

I suggest you look at your body weight trend opposed to focusing in one one date in particular. There are apps such as Libra people find useful to do so.

I highly suggest that you take advantage of your age & goal of weight gain and perform resistance training. Added muscle is far more beneficial than fat. Plenty of established evidence that suggests this and I assure you that you will be thankful if you chose to after gaining weight.
  • dtaber38
    dtaber38 Posts: 12 Member
    TDEE is based around height, weight, age and activity level. Surely if he only weighs around 8 stone, he won’t need 3500 calories to gain weight.
    I was 10.5 stone and have consumed 2500 calories as a bulk, I now consume 2700 and have put on a total of 11lbs.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    dtaber38 wrote: »
    TDEE is based around height, weight, age and activity level. Surely if he only weighs around 8 stone, he won’t need 3500 calories to gain weight.
    I was 10.5 stone and have consumed 2500 calories as a bulk, I now consume 2700 and have put on a total of 11lbs.
    3500 calories per one pound is just well established evidence.

You can gain weight with any surplus on average. But the ratio is backed by science.

If you personally believe you gained at a higher rate then I would argue you were eating more than estimated or your activity level was much less than you estimated.

• dtaber38
    I’m moderately active at work, but active first thing in the morning when at the gym and in the evenings. I wasn’t eating that great until I decided to do something about it, so upped my food intake and I started putting on weight. I must admit though I do seem to have plateaued, staying around 11.2.
    I don’t think I could possibly eat 3500 calories in meals. I don’t have the time. Doesn’t the TDEE calculators give accurate calorie expenditures, and then to be at a surplus, you add 10-20%?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited August 2020
    3500 was not recommended eating level. Confusion.

Merely how much in surplus to gain a lb of fat over whatever number of days you spread it.

So 3500 extra for the week is 1 lb of fat a week. That's 500 surplus daily.
  • dtaber38
    heybales wrote: »
    3500 was not recommended eating level. Confusion.

Merely how much in surplus to gain a lb of fat over whatever number of days you spread it.

So 3500 extra for the week is 1 lb of fat a week. That's 500 surplus daily.

Thanks, had me worried there.