Working out at home

What are the top pros and cons of working out from home?..go?.

Replies

• vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    edited November 2019
    The only difference for me is at the gym, I tend to go harder because I don’t want to look like a slacker. I want to look like a professional with my forms. Go hard on the elliptical.

At home I’m sloppy. It takes me longer to burn the calories I need to burn on my elliptical because I tend to stop if I’m watching something on my iPad, stall to see what’s going on my phone. I just waste more time working out at home vs going to the gym.

I think I’d get better results going to the gym.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Honestly, I think it's mostly about personal preferences, in a variety of ways.

For me:

Home pros: No travel time, don't need to dress respectably, superflexible as to time.
    Home cons: May need equipment, easy to procrastinate.

I usually only go the the gym for group classes (because "appointment workouts" help me avoid procrastination and the impulse to sleep in too much), or for equipment/facilities I don't have (like a swimming pool), or to learn something new/technical for which there are classes or a trainer (like kettlebell or TRX or martial arts, say).

For me, the biggest determiner of venue is that my favorite and preferred exercise is rowing on-water. There is no river and no rowing shells in my house, or at my gym. I do have a rowing machine for Winter use, but it just isn't nearly as much fun.

Related observation: Gym and home are not the only possibilities. Lots of kinds of healthy movement happen in lots of different places. Think about the potential of dancing, hiking, bicycling, skateboarding, skiing (several types), snowshoeing . . . etc.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    My home is surrounded by a variety of parks where people like to walk on the trails with and without dogs, play frisbee, hoop, skate, fish, kayak (not right now), and play organized sports. I have indoor cardio equipment at home, and a TON of weights, but my preference is to cardio either at home or outside, and lift weights at the University gym where I can easily find spotters and obscure specialty equipment as needed in the kinesiology department.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Pros: I can workout anytime (very helpful with small children to watch) I can split up my sets through the day if needed, I can get a workout done super fast (no travel time, etc), can do laundry and other chores in between sets, I can wear anything I want, personalized equipment, I can play music and watch music videos with no headphones (which bother me so much when working out), I can dance, sing and take all the selfies I want, I don't have to wait for equipment, I can grunt and make loud noises, I can do odd exercises without feeling embarrassed

Cons: Sometimes my kids or dog get in the way or interrupt, I don't have all the equipment I desire, lack of space, taking photos and dancing can get distracting and delay workout, buying equipment can get expensive
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Personal preference and also depends on goals and what you mean by a "workout"

For resistance training I prefer the gym...I don't have room for equipment in my house, and even if I did, the gym has so much more than I could ever bring in. Also, there are too many distractions at home...kids, things needing done around the house, etc.

For cardio, I primarily road cycle and mountain bike. I like to be outside and abhor stationary cardio equipment.
  • Whydahdad71
    Whydahdad71 Posts: 316 Member
    I have two separate gym memberships. I have frozen both due to covid-19. I have a decent amount of resistance bands and some cardio machines at home. The bands literally build muscle on me the same as the iron weights do and the cardio machines are more than enough. One thing I really love about working out at home is that I can do it outside in the nice weather.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Pros: on my own schedule. I’ve invested in some equipment, so I have options. I use beachbodyondemand, so can change things up whenever I’d like. Not self-conscience. No awkward change rooms.

Cons: no one to spot you and confirm you have good form. Less space but you don’t have to share the space.
  • Whydahdad71
    Pros: on my own schedule. I’ve invested in some equipment, so I have options. I use beachbodyondemand, so can change things up whenever I’d like. Not self-conscience. No awkward change rooms.

Cons: no one to spot you and confirm you have good form. Less space but you don’t have to share the space.

what about the gym makes you feel self-conscious?
  • Pittgirl3
    Pittgirl3 Posts: 69 Member
    Pro: I can do it whenever I want and I don’t have to worry about traffic.

Con: I'm a competitive person, so I don’t really have additional motivation.
    I don’t have a lot of space or equipment besides my treadmill.
    When I do create space in the middle of the floor, my cat desires the exact space that I occupy. *eye roll*

This Covid is driving me crazy!
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    I can't afford all the different weights I want and I don't have the space, even if I had the money.

That said, I have more time to workout at home than I have to get to the gym.
  • Whydahdad71
    Do any of you here feel nervous about going to the gym due to Covid - 19?
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member

Definitely! I held my gym membership freeze for another 90 days (have about 60 days left)
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member

Yes indeed, specially due to my age. The fitness center in my community open up last month but my husband and I didn't go. We were very apprehensive and neither of us like to workout with masks but, we feel worry without one. Now the fitness center is closed so I have to do workouts at home. I don't like it a bit!
  • Whydahdad71
    I have frozen both my gym accounts for now. Carona isn't something that I take lightly that's for sure. I can get my work in at home. The idea of training in the summer with a mask on the whole time, well that doesn't excite me either.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member

No infections are low in our area and the gym does a great job of cleaning. Plus everyone walking in the door is given their own bottle of cleaner and a cloth. People are following the rules established.