Coronavirus prep

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    I have noticed a few people who wear their mask below their nose continually pushing their mask up. For those of you who wear masks with elastic around the ears, does the elastic sometimes stretch out? Or does one size fits all really not fit everyone? Just curious.

The big advantage is they fit in one's pocket and the mask police will be less stressed. If the pleats on the side open up it is a little easier to breath. I see some that look more functional for sure. Not sure why some have a vent hole valve.

Masks with vent holes are not appropriate for pandemic control. They're for working in conditions where you want to avoid inhaling particulates (like dust) while providing greater comfort with a vent for your exhalations, which would include virus-bearing droplets.

Now I get it. Thanks
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    hipari wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    On buffets, I think the risks are:
    1. People touching the same serving spoon and then touching food.
    2. People walking around and breathing on the food and each other.

#1 was managed by having only employees touching spoons and plates until you get the plate.
    #2 has been managed for years with sneeze guards and was further managed by having everyone wear masks and remain in a socially distanced line.

I don't see any more risk with how it was setup than a store. If there is some additional risk that someone sees with this setup, I am interested in exactly how that works.... how the virus would spread differently than a store. In fact, it is a bit lower risk than a store because a customer can touch a product on the shelf and not purchase that item. Same with touching credit card machine. In the buffet setup, nobody is touching anything that a second person then touches. So there is no risk that I touch something and put the virus on it, then you touch it and then touch your face. This risk still exists at stores.

I would think most buffets were required to close because an establishment run as a buffet would not typically have enough employees to man a buffet in that way. Not needing as many employees is one of the perks of serving food buffet style.

I would also think that even with diners not hovering over the buffet serving themselves, having open food in a room full of people that everyone is walking up to and being served from would feel icky right now, even if the increased risk is small or even not real. But I am someone who thinks eating in even a full service restaurant right now with social distancing in place seems to risky, so that might just be me!

I live in Finland and the covid situation is very, very different to the US. In June restaurants were allowed to open for table service but buffets were still banned. I went to a couple of all-you-can-eat sushi buffets in that time period, and saw two different approaches: one had menu pads were you marked everything you wanted, then the waiter came to take your order and brought it to the table, and you could repeat the process as many times you wanted and it was still all-you-can-eat. Another place had a person manning the buffet station and you told them what you want, and they made your plate (and again, you could repeat this as many times as you wanted).

On Sunday I had to take a short trip on a cruise ship (to travel from port A to port B, not for a leisure cruise). I went to eat at the ship buffet, which was technically allowed to be open without restrictions. Cold dishes were in regular buffet service, but in the beginning of the buffet lane there was a big vat of utensils, so everybody took their own utensils, used those to take the food, and then drop them into another vat reserved for dirty utensils at the other end. It seemed to work pretty well for the purposes of protecting from the virus (considering it’s still a buffet), but I felt a bit iffy about cross-contaminating allergens. At least seafood dishes, vegetarian dishes and meat dishes were all in separate lanes so you took separate utensils.

They had a more limited selection of warm dishes than usual, just two sides and two mains. A cook made portions according to individual specifications, you just walked up to them with ”can I have 3 pieces of beef, one potato thing (language barrier on this one), lots of sauce and no veggies” and they would plate it for you. Of course you could get as many helpings as you wanted. Dessert station had a similar thing with a person serving ice cream, and other desserts had a similar utensil system as cold dishes. All dishes liquid enough to be eaten with a spoon were in individual portion shot glasses, so you could just take a shot glass from the trays without touching anything else.

Overall, I think they handled it pretty well except for the allergens. I still felt a bit iffy about the crowds and standing in line for the buffet, but at this point it’s honestly more about my overall tolerance for crowds being lowered than actual concern about the virus.

After reading your description, I realized I didn't explain utensils. They give them to you at your table at the start of a meal, individually packaged as this place did before the pandemic.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    baconslave wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    So, I don't get it... the CDC is right when it aligns with what people want to believe, but they are horribly misinformed when it goes against? ... or are we saying that we can't trust the CDC because their guidance is politically motivated?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/reopening-schools.html

COVID-19 and Children

The best available evidence indicates that COVID-19 poses relatively low risks to school-aged children. Children appear to be at lower risk for contracting COVID-19 compared to adults. To put this in perspective, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), as of July 17, 2020, the United States reported that children and adolescents under 18 years old account for under 7 percent of COVID-19 cases and less than 0.1 percent of COVID-19-related deaths.[5] Although relatively rare, flu-related deaths in children occur every year. From 2004-2005 to 2018-2019, flu-related deaths in children reported to CDC during regular flu seasons ranged from 37 to 187 deaths. During the H1N1pandemic (April 15, 2009 to October 2, 2010), 358 pediatric deaths were reported to CDC. So far in this pandemic, deaths of children are less than in each of the last five flu seasons, with only 64.† Additionally, some children with certain underlying medical conditions, however, are at increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19.*

Scientific studies suggest that COVID-19 transmission among children in schools may be low. International studies that have assessed how readily COVID-19 spreads in schools also reveal low rates of transmission when community transmission is low. Based on current data, the rate of infection among younger school children, and from students to teachers, has been low, especially if proper precautions are followed. There have also been few reports of children being the primary source of COVID-19 transmission among family members.[6],[7],[8] This is consistent with data from both virus and antibody testing, suggesting that children are not the primary drivers of COVID-19 spread in schools or in the community.[9],[10],[11] No studies are conclusive, but the available evidence provides reason to believe that in-person schooling is in the best interest of students, particularly in the context of appropriate mitigation measures similar to those implemented at essential workplaces.

Unfortunately there is no way (for me at least) to explain how I translate CDC info and how that has changed over time without getting political.

However I will give a couple of points.

1. This blurb discussed fatalities, but not long term health issues. In countries doing a much better job of tracing cases, evidence is starting to emerge that folks with mild cases can sometimes unexpectedly show evidence of serious damage, like lung scarring and reduced kidney function even if their mild symptoms didn't even hint at the damage. It is simply too early to tell whether this kind of silent damage is possible in minors as well.

2. It's kind of hard to gloss over this really important qualifier in the 2nd paragraph of the CDC statement: "when community transmission is low". Other countries' data may very well show low numbers because they had already largely controlled community transmission. This is objectively not the case in the US.

Yes, it would be foolish to ignore that in many of the areas where school re-opening is being encouraged, community transmission isn't low. Children would be going back in the context of medium or even high community transmission.

We are all in the Red. While a couple school systems are starting out of the gate online only, many are still insisting they are doing hybrid or even full. The problem with just going online here is low-income families. We also have pretty high poverty in this area, with lots of the folks essential workers that don't get paid well or time off or can't work from home and don't have anyone to watch their children. In addition, many either cannot afford internet or a computer, or there is literally no internet run to their neck of the woods or mtn. Schools locally are scrambling to order enough Chromebooks to give to students in those counties who are doing online or hybrid, but with schools across the nation all doing so, there aren't enough available now. They are asking students who actually already have a computer to not take a laptop to save it for someone who doesn't have one at all. And there's still the internet issue. Our schools need to establish a wi-fi hotspot in school parking lots. One local county has done so. But my county hasn't. I get the feeling that my county has spent all summer believing that this is a hoax and nothing would change and are now running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

The Governor is signing an executive order so we have contact sports. Football and soccer. Regular season.
    So to recap, all surrounding counties except one are well in the Red for community transmission but some are actually still doing full or hybrid. And they've got their football, a full contact sport. In a section of the state that half doesn't believe in COVID and half just thinks it's the flu so everywhere else than Walmart they won't wear masks, and even there their noses are all hanging out, if they even agree to wear one at all.
    This will go so well./s
    Tennessee...winning. :unamused:

I lived in Tennessee for several years so I find this dismaying, but not terribly surprising.

Over here in west TN, one nearby school delayed a week. A week... because of the increase in cases. I think there isna lot more that can be done both for schools and outside of schools.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Curve flatting by nations helped for a while but the virus seems to have more staying power than humans have a will to lock down. I am concerned since much of the world is or is become RED on maps.

https://washingtonpost.com/world/a-coronavirus-comeback-around-the-world/2020/07/28/8ddd9e64-d043-11ea-826b-cc394d824e35_story.html