RICE! RICE! RICE!

For my weight loss journey, I really wanted to reduce my carb intake so I decided to switch from jasmine white rice to eating cauliflower rice. It has helped tremendously with weight loss and overall health. However, I wanted to reintroduce regular rice in my diet since I want to maintain my weight and stay healthy. Should I go back to eating jasmine white rice or should I buy brown rice?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    How's your fibre intake? From a calorie perspective there's not much difference, but brown gives you more fibre.

I've cooked rice in bulk, and frozen it in portioned 100g bags, for more than 10 years. Recently I realised my fibre intake was too low (30g a day recommended in the UK) so I've switched to cooking brown rice and white and mixing half and half in my bags. If I need fewer calories, I'll have a half portion of rice and mix that with cauliflower rice.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    First, there's no need to choose one or the other -- you can have both. I prefer jasmine rice with some meals, brown rice with others.

But if you genuinely prefer jasmine rice, there's no reason not to eat it. Brown rice has a bit more of some nutrients, but there is no reason you can't get those nutrients in other places.
  • Tonydevolanii
    Tonydevolanii Posts: 658 Member
    Try buckwheat it's better than both
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    How is it better? Taste?
  • Tonydevolanii
    Taste and nutritional better
    Also lower calories
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Taste and nutritional better
    Also lower calories

100 grams of raw buckwheat has 343 calories. 100 grams of raw white rice has 365. This is not really a relevant difference.
  • Tonydevolanii
    Then eat rice
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    For my weight loss journey, I really wanted to reduce my carb intake so I decided to switch from jasmine white rice to eating cauliflower rice. It has helped tremendously with weight loss and overall health. However, I wanted to reintroduce regular rice in my diet since I want to maintain my weight and stay healthy. Should I go back to eating jasmine white rice or should I buy brown rice?

Go with the rice you like most. There is very little nutritional differences amongst them.

^^^This...
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Go with what you like the best, or go with a mix of the two, or rice some days and cauliflower another. See how it goes.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member

I was raised to believe that brown rice was a superfood and white rice "had all the good stuff taken out." I'm so glad to be free of this myth!

Yes, brown rice does have more fiber - a whole 1 g more fiber - but there are plenty of (better) sources of fiber.

This article details the differences between the two types of rice: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/brown-rice-vs-white-rice/
  • mandymayela96
    mandymayela96 Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you all so much!!
  • kshama2001

Every few years I make kasha varnishkes and after all that work remember I don't like buckwheat. I'm finally out, so won't be making that mistake again.
  • kshama2001
    After having cauli-rice - any rice will be fine and it will taste like the best rice ever!

Yes, for me cauli-rice was a big

nope.gif

And I like cauliflower. Florets steam or roasted, like God intended.

:lol:
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    I mix brown & white rice together - I like the texture of brown rice better, my husband prefers white, so we compromise. I use calrose rice for some things that need a stickier rice.