What is your resting heart rate?

EliseTK1
EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
What is your average resting heart rate? How often do you exercise, and what types do you do? Has your resting heart rate changed over time?

I have always been in the low 60s, but the last couple years with increased exercise I'm averaging 53-54 BPM. Sometimes I get as low as 48-49. I started with marathon training a few years ago, but nowadays I mostly lift weights, walk, and spin. I do some type of exercise ~6 days a week.

I have a colleague who is very fit, exercises as much as I do, and has a resting heart rate in the 80-90 range. Now I'm curious about averages for everyone else.

Replies

• E7mack96
    E7mack96 Posts: 63 Member
    mine is 70 or so. Weirdly, I can force it to the low 40s somehow.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Usually mine is 70-90.. similar to your colleague. It is high even when I'm lean and when I'm fit/doing a lot of cardio. I do suffer from anxiety so I think that plays a part.

Right now I am only lifting (no cardio) and it is actually a bit lower (I think in the 60s) because of the lack of daily stress/anxiety at the moment.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    I do road rides on a bike 5 days a week for my current exercise and my resting HR is 56 (according to my fitbit). I think the lowest I've had it - doing weights 3 days a week and vigorous cardio intervals 2 days a week) was 53 to 54.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    According to my Fitbit my resting heart rate is 62
  • mctorger90
    mctorger90 Posts: 7 Member
    mine is 54!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    When I was running a lot more a few years ago it was 48, now it's in the mid 50s.
  • MohsenSALAH
    MohsenSALAH Posts: 182 Member
    It is called bradycardia, it is normal for athletes because heart muscles becomes so effective and also there is collaterals vessels which help in more oxygen and blood deliveries to the heart

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    43 couple weeks ago.
    4 workouts weekly, all cardio right now - running and riding. Once house re-arranged lifting again.
    Back at workouts for 2.5 months since almost 2 yrs off.
    Was about 60-65 prior to starting again.
    A diet causes a drop all on it's own usually.

And I'm talking real resting HR, morning before getting up after alarm wakeup and calming back down.
    Not what say Fitbit would display as a restingHR, which for most is really not.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,036 Member
    My Garmin says my resting heart rate, looking at the monthly average, has gone down from 55 to 52 from January till now. It does fluctuate a bit from day to day, during my period I've gone as low as 47.

I've been losing weight and exercising since August last year, my resting heart rate was probably mid 60's then, despite being inactive and at a BMI of 34.

I do cardio probably 3 times a week (mostly jogging, walking and indoor rowing), on top of lots of steps on days when I don't exercise.

There is a genetic component to it too, my dad is obese and barely exercises (only walks) and also has a RHR in the 60's.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Average has been 46 for the past 3 years. I have no idea what it was before that since I had no device to track it.

I run almost daily (60+ miles per week).
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    EliseTK1 wrote: »
    What is your average resting heart rate? How often do you exercise, and what types do you do? Has your resting heart rate changed over time?

I have always been in the low 60s, but the last couple years with increased exercise I'm averaging 53-54 BPM. Sometimes I get as low as 48-49. I started with marathon training a few years ago, but nowadays I mostly lift weights, walk, and spin. I do some type of exercise ~6 days a week.

I have a colleague who is very fit, exercises as much as I do, and has a resting heart rate in the 80-90 range. Now I'm curious about averages for everyone else.

Some people just naturally have a fast resting heart rate. My dad always did and was always in good shape. When he got sick eventually they tested him and his heart for everything and he just had a fast pulse. I often feel I do too but I can get mine pretty low when I think about it
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited July 2020
    44, sometimes a bit lower. I usually set off heart rate monitors and have to tell the medical staff that I feel fine, I’m a runner.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    In my 30's and 40's with sporadic but intense exercise of squash and lifting about 65bpm, more regular squash and a bit of indoor rowing would get it down to low sixties which I regarded as "fit for me".

In my 50's took up cycling seriously (also lost weight) and RHR dropped by 20% to 48bpm. First time in my life I had done endurance cardio. This year I'm averaging about 7 hours of cycling a week but in summer it's more like 10hrs. Increased volume has a big impact on my fitness level but not on my RHR unless I get into the realms of overtraining and then it starts to climb.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    57-62 per my apple watch.
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    53 average
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Mine is in the 50-60's and in the 40's when I'm sleeping. Before I adopted a fit and healthy lifestyle my resting HR was in the 80's.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    40s. my hr will drop in the 30's
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    60-62 most of the time. I'm a runner, running 5 days a week, and walking 7 days. When I'm marathon training, my HR goes up as my mileage increases.
  • dougparz
    dougparz Posts: 8 Member
    Mine is 44. I run 5 days a week and that has brought it down.
  • MarttaHP
    MarttaHP Posts: 68 Member
    According to my Garmin, my current 7-day average is 36. It's usually in the high 30s for me. I run five to six days a week and do weights three times (plus some cross-training), so I'm getting plenty of exercise, but I'm sure there's a genetic component to it since it's so low. (It probably was higher before I started working out this much, but it hasn't really changed since I've had a 24-hour monitoring device on my wrist, so I can't say for certain.)