Vegetarian bbq recipe heelp

shirleyann1983
shirleyann1983 Posts: 2 Member
I need help since lock down is drawing to a close I need to come up with vegetarian ideas for a bbq. Some of my friends are vegetarian dairy and eggs are ok. my daughter hates quorn or meat replacements. I need some ideas other than kebabs for this as I need to try them out on the husband and child first

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Portobello mushrooms are amazing on the grill, especially when they're marinated first. I also like grilled corn. I've done sliced potatoes in foil packets (you can add whatever you like to have with potatoes). Pasta salad, potato salad, and baked beans (check for pork if you're using canned) are good sides.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Portobello mushrooms are amazing on the grill, especially when they're marinated first. I also like grilled corn. I've done sliced potatoes in foil packets (you can add whatever you like to have with potatoes). Pasta salad, potato salad, and baked beans (check for pork if you're using canned) are good sides.

I do similar when my daughter is in town. I take portobellos, zuchini, red peppers, yellow peppers, eggplant and red onion and rub with olive oil and grill out until just charred slightly. Then I make an Italian dressing using Ina Garten's Greek recipe but using Italian Seasoning, not basil and red (not white) vinegar. And make a pasta salad with that -- the cut up veggies, pasta and dressing. They like those sweet Italian jarred peppers and artichokes added to it as well. Mozzarella or parm optional.

It makes a really nice vegetarian BBQ meal.
  • Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    You can bbq so many vegetables. Things like aubergine or courgette are perfect - slice them marinade them and chuck them on. Halloumi on a bbq is pure joy. I slice it thickly and put it on top of a bit of foil on the bbq and it stops it drying out.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    Try to find Marcella Hazan's vegetable BBQ directions. I can't view a re-print from the Baltimore Sun in Europe.

i do corn on the cob, asparagus, halloumi cheese, peppers, thick onion slices (skewer with soaked wooden prickers before slicing into half inch rounds so they don't come apart while cooking) as well as aforemention courgette and eggplant. Any vegetable that is good roasted will be good on the BBQ. Use silicon mesh so that smaller items like asparagus or baby corn don't fall through the grates. Or alternatively skewer smaller veg together into slabs. Remember to soak wooden skewers an hour so they don't burn.

Halved romaines drizzled with olive oil or quartered icebergs are great on the BBQ grilled cut sides down to blacken the edges. Drizzle afterwards with ranch. BBQ lettuce is great to put on early because they are done in minutes so people have something to nibble on while waiting for the rest.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    Google Cambodian street corn and Mexican elote for some novel ways to flavour BBQ corn on the cob.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    ^^ spiced (pure) maple syrup on fresh corn 😵😋