July 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,883 Member
    @kgirlhart Glad you had a good run and report from your tests! Not knowing is really stressful.

@hamsterwheel6 Way to hang in there and get it done in the heat and humidity. Excellent pace given the conditions.

Welcome @xcc670 .

The last couple of days have been cross training for me. I played tennis both days and after I finished today, I mowed my lawn. It was hot - 86°F and humid when mowing. I'm beat. Hoping to get a run in tomorrow.

Since my HM was cancelled, I really haven't been following my plan - and the fact that I was really busy the first couple of weeks of the month means I fell way behind. Not going to meet my goal for July, by a long shot. Anyway, I'm trying to decide if I should just repeat the HM plan I was doing, since I didn't finish it, go to the next level plan, start the current one somewhere in the middle and try to finish it, or something else. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Welcome @xcc670 Awesome job on the 3 miles.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,373 Member
    @kgirlhart - glad no biopsy was needed and hopefully it will never develop into anything more!
    @hamsterwheel6 - There is a fun women's running group started by Kelly Roberts called the Bad *kitten* Lady Gang/Sports Bra Squad. Also there is a Global Sports Bra Squad Day usually in July but I don't recall seeing it for this year.
    Welcome @xcc670! Many of the runners here have or are using C25K so there is lots of support for that. Feel free to ask questions or jump into the conversations!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    xcc670 wrote: »
    I just joined this challenge. I am a newish runner. I started running in January 2020 using a C25k app on my phone. I've moved forward and back again. The app has a walk/run program that progresses to more running and less walking.

This morning I started walking, not sure if I was up for running. After about a mile I decided I was up for a running session. I finished 3 miles. I took a new route that has more inclines and I really liked it.

Welcome!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    There is a fun women's running group started by Kelly Roberts called the Bad *kitten* Lady Gang/Sports Bra Squad. Also there is a Global Sports Bra Squad Day usually in July but I don't recall seeing it for this year.

they had a virtual event. i did it. mostly on accident. it was too hot to keep my shirt on but i credit her for letting me comfortable enough to take off my shirt. i have buffs from the group.
  • quilteryoyo
    @marisap2010 Sounds like your dad is doing some better. I hope that he continues to heal.

@noblsheep Good luck with the ukulele.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    7-1 7k slow
    7-2 7k slow
    7-3 7k between slow and easy
    7-4 7k ditto
    7-5 7k closer to easy
    7-6 rest
    7-7 7k slow
    7-8 7k easy
    7-9 7k slow
    7-10 7k slow
    7-11 7k easy
    7-12 7k slow
    7-13 rest
    7-14 7k slow
    7-15 rest
    7-16 7k closer to easy than slow
    7-17 7k closer to moderate than easy
    7-18 7k easy
    7-19 5k easy
    7-20 rest
    7-21 7k slow
    7-22 7k easy
    7-23 7k easy
    7-24 7k easy
    7-25 7k easy
    7-26 7k easy
    7-27 rest
    7-28 7k easy
    7-29 7k easy
    7-30 7k easy

July Total: 173k
    July Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k
    May Total: 200k
    June Total: 156k

2020 Total through June: 1056k / 176k per month

Mostly cloudy, low 70s F, and a variable wind. Best run of the month. Was concerned I had gone out too fast and was going to suffer the last 2k, but it wasn't as bad as I feared.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020k in 2020

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:

9-19 Race for the Parks 5k, Hudson, OH
    10-11 Haunted Hustle 5k, Aurora, OH
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2020
    @noblsheep Good luck with the ukulele! My son played it a bit, it is upside down from any other stringed instrument if I remember correctly. You have any inspirations? I love IZ, Aloha ka manini is prob my current favorite, and of course his Somewhere Over the Rainbow. I bought a cello to go with the violin. It's fun, until its not and I can't get something to stick in my brain. I love your beautiful goals!
  • skippygirlsmom
    7/1 – 0 rest days
    7/2 – 5
    7/3 – 8
    7/4 – 6
    7/5 – 4
    7/6 – 5
    7/7 – 5
    7/8 – 3 with Champ
    7/9 – 2 with Champ
    7/10 – 4 with Champ
    7/11 – 4 mile trail race
    7/12 – 3
    7/13 – 5
    7/14 – 3 with Champ
    7/15 - 3
    7/16 -5
    7/17 – 6
    7/18 – 4
    7/19 – 6
    7/20 – rest day
    7/21 – 5
    7/22 – 5 with Champ
    7/23 – 7
    7/24 – 4
    7/25 – 3
    7/26 – 6
    7/27 – rest day
    7/28 – 5
    7/28 – 3 with Champ and Skip
    7/29 – 4 with Champ
    7/30 – 5

128 of 110 miles

Thanks @katharmonic for setting up August.

@kgirlhart great news

Races:
    Mother’s Day Virtual 5K – done
    Retro Run Virtual 5K – done
    Rona on the Run - Virtual for St. Jude benefit - done
    Keep Moving Huntsville - at least one mile a day 1 - 31 May - done
    The Big Run - June 3 - done
    NEGU virtual run - June - Team NEGU helping support kids with cancer - done
    Big Foot Wild Thangs Trail Race 5K/10K – June 20 on the trails…all together like a real race - done
    Run 4 on the 4th – Virtual 4 miles on 4th of July - done
    ISS Virtual 5K in July – done
    Jackalope Trail Run 4 miler – done
    Running of the Bulls Virtual 5K
    Skunk Ape 5 miler August 1 trail race in person
    Shooby Doo Virtual 10K
    The Pinhoti Trail Challenge 335 miles virtual – 1 Sept to 31 Dec
    2020 Liberty Road Challenge WWII soldiers journey from St. Mere Eglisde to Bastogne, Belgium – charity virtual run for the WII museum in New Orleans 716 miles team event 4 July – September – our team has finished
    Pirate Challenge – 10 weeks mile challenge June – Sept
    Space Race 400K Challenge 12 weeks running 248.5 miles to the ISS – August to November
    Oak Barrel Half Marathon – October – postponed from April
    Flora-Bama 600K - Virtual race from Huntsville AL to the Florida Alabama state line in Orange Beach 98% there!

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,950 Member
    July Goal: 100 Miles

7/1: 6.51 miles
    7/2: 6.02 miles
    7/5: 10.10 miles
    7/7: 6.22 miles
    7/8: 6.05 miles
    7/9: 6.08 miles
    7/12: 10.03 miles
    7/14: 6.21 miles
    7/15: 6.02 miles
    7/16: 6.22 miles
    7/19: 10.52 miles
    7/21: 6.02 miles
    7/22: 6.02 miles
    7/23: 6.04 miles
    7/26: 10.52 miles
    7/28: 7.02 miles
    7/29: 6.32 miles
    7/30: 6.26 miles

128.18/100 miles completed for July

816.01/1000 miles for Run the Year Team Pavement Pounders

I had a really nice 6.25 mile run this morning. The weather is still hot and humid, but I managed to keep my pace under 11 min/mile. It wasn't cloudy today so it wasn't as dark as the last two days and it was a little less humid. I didn't see any deer this morning, but I did see a rabbit. There wasn't anything special about the run, it was just a run that felt good and a nice, pretty morning. My feet are starting to get really achy after my runs though and today my ankle felt a little cranky after the run. I last replaced my shoes 380 miles ago, so I'm sure that's the issue. I really wish there was a running store closer to me. The closest one is 60 miles away and I don't really want to go over there since they have a lot more Covid cases than we have here.

Thanks for the well wishes @Tramboman , @PastorVincent , @quilteryoyo , @shanaber , @noblsheep and @skippygirlsmom!

@quilteryoyo As far as your plan goes, what I would do is figure what my typical weekly mileage was and then either start it at the beginning wherever in the plan was closest to what I was currently running. I don't know if that is the best thing to do, but that is what I would do.

Tomorrow will be a rest day so I'm closing out July at 128.18 miles for the month which is over my goal of 100 miles and a little over my stretch goal of 200 K (at 206 K). Congrats to all who made their goal and to those who didn't that's ok, there's always next month. See you all in the August thread. Thanks for setting it up @katharmonic!

exercise.png

2020 races:
    11/7/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon
  • skippygirlsmom
    @kgirlhart @katharmonic we seems to run around the same mileage each month.
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    @kgirlhart - glad no biopsy was needed and hopefully it will never develop into anything more!
    @hamsterwheel6 - There is a fun women's running group started by Kelly Roberts called the Bad *kitten* Lady Gang/Sports Bra Squad. Also there is a Global Sports Bra Squad Day usually in July but I don't recall seeing it for this year.
    Welcome @xcc670! Many of the runners here have or are using C25K so there is lots of support for that. Feel free to ask questions or jump into the conversations!

ooohh loving that group! I feel much better now :) And empowered to do it again.
  • hamsterwheel6
    Welcome @xcc670!

We had storms on and off yesterday, so I got in about a mile and a half before it started up again.
    Not much, but I haven’t had a lot of energy for the last few days because I have been dealing with so much. I did get some much needed repairs completed at home yesterday, and hopefully, Dad will be discharged from ICU today, which will be another stressor down. My plan is to get in some speed work tonight.

Good news on your dad!
  • hamsterwheel6
    Today was spin day and strength training. Had a good ride - took two classes.
    As far as running, I may have to call it for July. I have a physical tomorrow morning and then have to go to work. Might try for one later, but for me usually if I don't get in my workout in the morning, it usually doesn't happen.
    So 107.63 for the month which meets goal, but not stretch. I would have had I not started spinning, but I'm ok with that.
  • quilteryoyo
    Thanks for your input @kgirlhart . I decided to go back to the plan for the month where I almost ran 60 miles - which was May. That is actually only the 2nd week of my HM plan. My goal is to run 61 miles in August in honor of my 61st birthday. The plan should get me beyond that, if I follow it to the tee. Than never happens, but I think I can get 61 by following it as closely as possible.