Problems eating enough calories

I have been using this program for 14 days. In that time I have lost 10 pounds ( I know some is water ) and really have not been active. I Have a stationary pedaling machine that you sit and do and I do it 2 or 3 times a week for 20 min or so ( really not a lot). I find that I don't have an appetite and don't want to eat. Every morning I wake up and stress over what im going to eat so my BP and sugar dont drop tooo much with my meds. I found out today I probably have anxiety. I spent 10 hours in the ER due to feeling jittery and waves of being flush thinking it was my A FIB, nope probably anxiety! and that anxiety is from stressing over what to eat. That and I probably am having caffeine withdrawal as I can not have any due to A FIB. Not sure what im going to do other than eat what sounds/ looks/ smells like something I want ( within reason) and deal with the nutrition counts later in the day by adjusting other meals. Any other suggestions? Any advice is very much appreciated.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Fast weight loss without a lot to lose and under a Dr's direction supervision and testing is just asking to cause the body problems.

But yes, much could be water weight depending on how much less you are eating.

Pick out some nutritious breakfasts if you need more, find 3, and rotate.

Nothing to stress over. Obviously easier said than done. But having a body under stress while you mentally are too - not good.

Planning and preparation are keys to success - so just do it.
    And what's good for you may not be what happens to smell and looks good. Sure that didn't get you into trouble before?

Be very concerned if you have already messed up your hunger cues. Not likely, but still.
    How much are you eating now for the day? You notably left that missing.

You are obviously not at the point of needing to lose weight because you have a problem eating enough.
    What would you say is the difference?
  • MiaBella444
    MiaBella444 Posts: 39 Member
    Most days I have problems getting enough calories because of my work schedule. Then I overcompensate when I get home after 10PM and have to sleep on the extra calories or go to bed and say I will have more tomorrow. Not sure what the answer is as of yet except I need to make sure I find some healthy snacks I can keep around to compensate on the days I walk fast at work and need to up my intake. Blood sugars lows can be scary. For me making sure I eat every couple of hours is best so I don't get the shakes.
  • MiaBella444
    MiaBella444 Posts: 39 Member

You are obviously not at the point of needing to lose weight because you have a problem eating enough.
    What would you say is the difference?[/quote]

I need to lose and have a problem eating enough on many days. I gained from meds and quitting smoking but you cannot starve yourself into being back to a healthier weight. Especially if you have blood sugar lows.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Maybe you could do some yoga or meditation to help with the anxiety - which is absolutely vile and I fully sympathise with you on that front. When I am anxious, or even just stressed, my appetite really suffers- I start a meal, but never finish it. This makes me tired, which then makes me more prone to anxiety, and then I eat less, it's a vicious circle. Lack of eating proper food also increases risk of bingeing a few days later to catch up - not usually healthy things. Not saying it's the same for you, but maybe worth considering if reducing stress could help you.
  • southernskeeter
    southernskeeter Posts: 26 Member
    heybales, Thank you for your response. I eat around 1100 -1300 calories a day. This program has my daily set at 1630, but I never hit that number. This morning I ate 1 cup oatmeal ( 1/2 c uncooked) with about 3/4 of whole milk ( only kind we had) oatmeal had 2 tsp sugar and some margarine for 355 calories. That was at 9 am. i was not hungry until around 2 so then had PB sandwich 370 cal. Dinner was 1/2 cup cooked rice, 4 oz cut up chicken breast sautéed with onion and fresh mushrooms, ( about 2 tbsp. onion and 3 white mushrooms. with 2 tbsp. Kikkoman sweet sour sauce, and 1/2 cup steamed broccoli ,it was all 248 calories. I was full! I still have 657 calories for the day and not hungry. I have 92 carbs left,35 protein and 16 fat,512 sodium. I don't feel hungry. today I have felt pretty good, no jittery feelings or anything . my sugar has been good before dinner it was 100 and after 136. but i know i am suppose to take night time long lasting insulin and need to eat something else so I don't bottom out. These are my dilemma's. And I do have a lot of weight to lose. I know I don't need to lose it all at once quickly and I am not trying to. I really have changed the amount I eat just what. the biggest change for me is no caffeine so no diet Pepsi and I used to drink a liter to 2 liters in 24 hours. I have a telemed appointment with primary tomorrow and will discuss all of this. I have been covid positive since 6/23 and the ER Dr, says the loss of appetite could be from that or heat related ( we don't have a/c) and its been hot and humid so makes me queasy. I will see what primary says.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Oh heat making you drink more can easily leave you not hungry.

After a workout I'll have enough fluids to be helpful, but then I know I have to eat to perform well tomorrow so I do before I keep drinking.

Do you weigh your foods on scale?
    Because calories is per gram, not per cup or tbsp volume measurements. Except fluids like milk.
    You could be eating more than you think.

Get a scale and then measure out things for the day like you'd normally do - but then weigh it and log that.
    PB could easily add another 100.
    Rice might be difficult if already prepared - but that's why rice is calories per pre-cooked weight - water varies in cooked.
    Let you see what the difference is.

Good call getting with Dr.

Undereating while body dealing with fighting a bug is never good.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Please keep us posted!
  • southernskeeter
    southernskeeter Posts: 26 Member
    Thought Dr was today, its tomorrow. Today has been a better day. a few things changed which contributed to the better day. Hubby went back to work late nights so I am up later. he works till 4 am. I took my pills at 10 pm which puts morning pills around 10 am ( instead of 8 am) I did some house stuff while he was away and we went to bed at 530am. Up at 10 for me, took pills and ate a banana and some mild. felt pretty good for about an hour and then got the nervous energy feeling, couldn't sit still had to be doing something. ANXIETY! took my new Xanax and the rest of day was great. no more jittery and worrying. Dinner was a slight cheat, Cracker Barrel take out, I had meatloaf and ate half along with a side of baby carrots (all of them) and half the side of green beans ( only half because of the sodium). We have been off our normal schedule ( normal for us, him working till 4 am) getting back on our schedule helped. I was never up before 10 am therefore never ate before 11. being in the hospital a week through me off and through my stomach off. things are looking to a bright side please no bashing about our schedule, it works for us ..
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Are the green beans canned or otherwise processed? Because fresh vegetables are very low in sodium. I suggest you get some friends here with open diaries and have a look at what others are eating. I know you have health-related dietary restrictions, but even so, there is a lot of healthy tasty food to try out there. Also, work on building coping skills rather than rely on addictive medication to control your anxiety. There are some wonderful guided meditations on YouTube (The Honest Guys, for example) , there are yoga programs (Yoga with Adriene) and some wonderful resources by Eckhart Tolle, the author of The Power of Now. As a fellow sufferer, let me tell you, anxiety CAN be managed, not necessarily with prescription meds. Your diet can help too, make sure you get enough magnesium or at least supplement. Feel free to send me a friend request and look at my diary.