WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2020

Replies

• mbusse001
    mbusse001 Posts: 2 Member
    mbusse001 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Three weeks ago I had horrible bloodwork and have to have a ct scan on my liver. I was terrified after the blood results and immediately started on a 1200 calorie diet and walking every day. My goal is to lose 30 lbs. So far I have lost 3, but usually I plateau and give up. I am not big on exercise and tend to fizzle out after a while. If only my sewing machine pedal would count for exercise, I would have no worries! Any advice or support to help keep me on track is welcome and most appreciated!

Melissa SE WI

Melissa- welcome. Do you have a fatty liver? I would encourage you to check out Intermittent Fasting - google Youtube presentations by Dr. Jason Fung, also other researchers - Mark Mattson, Valter Longo. Lots of info out there on how Fasting helps with insulin resistance and fatty livers.

Wishing you good luck with whatever path you choose to regain your health, there are many ladies in this group who have plans that work great for them, including CI/CO, Keto, exercise. <3

Lanette
    SW WA State

Thank you Lanette for your kind words. I had an ultrasound and now they are doing the ct scan because the doctor couldn't read the ultrasound to determine what is going on if anything. Since Covid I have been eating terrible and was getting no exercise at all. I am working from home now so if this had to happen now is the perfect time to get some healthy habits going. I just hope i can fix it. Sugar has been my downfall, but since cutting it way down my joints are feeling so much better. I thought it was arthritis but now I believe it was inflammation! I will read up on the Intermittant Fasting. I think tracking my food is really going to help me monitor my carbs and sugar.

Melissa SE WI
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,877 Member
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Sharon - I agree! Young people today end up working three or four part time jobs just to make ends meet. My Son in Law works two full time jobs and has one part time job. On the side he also does handyman repairs and works for another ambulance service.

I also understand the older generations not retiring too, I will be lucky to retire before I die. We have struggled financially our whole lives and especially since 2009. There just never seems to be enough.

Tracey in Edmonton

The early 1990s recession hit me and my ex-husband badly. As we came out of it, he didn't really seem to care about anything ... while I worked anywhere from 2-4 jobs plus taking further education so we could pay our bills and try to get a little bit ahead.

Thankfully, I haven't had to do that since 2009 but our situation is kind of weird now. Retirement is not on the horizon.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Just a question, your choice of whether to answer it or not. Do you think children are better looking than when we were children ourselves? Possibly due to better nutrition overall? I would swear there were ugly children around when I was growing up, but I just don't see them now.

Not around here.

There's a statistic that says 70.9% of Tasmanian adults are overweight or obese. Tasmania also has the second highest rate of smokers in Australia. And Tasmania is considered one of the poorer states. That combination doesn't really make for beautiful children. :neutral:

M in Oz
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    HEATHER so glad DH is so much better and your afternoon picnic will be great. Enjoy

FAYE I also love reading your posts

DH and I always say we were so lucky when we were younger and jobs were plentiful. Feel so sorry for the young ones trying to get jobs and homes.

LANETTE I use Ravelry a lot for my free sock patterns

I really have to get back to logging my food and have even been letting exercise slip. Consequently carrying an extra 10 pounds. Really depressed about it but today is a new day.

Not sure if I had mentioned my SIL dementia. She has gone into a home for respite but hopefully a full time place will be found. Feel so worried about my brother and can’t see him of course. He is such a loyal, caring person and of course he is relieved but also feeling guilty.

Welcome to all newcomers

Stay safe

Kate UK ❤️
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,636 Member
    Morning ladies
    I actually feel pretty good which is a miracle in itself.
    Kidneys are ok.. the nephrologist was the one that wanted me to see the endocrinologist and now they keep pushing that back..
    I am staying overnight with Faith tonight and running errands tomorrow.
    Have a graduation party on Saterday..
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,577 Member
    Good morning!
    Thank you all for the advice. I will try to put it into action. I do know that I handle things better when SIL isn't there. Expectations of help when she is there is what gets me riled. Will work on it.
    Have to do some rearranging at work today. We have had $2500 worth of saws stolen in two weeks! Yesterday they were in and out in less than 30 seconds! I chased them down again.....at least this time I didnt try to hang onto the car or drag them out of it. Guess what, they had masks and hats on so hard to identify-rrrre! My fight or flight reflex really is stuck in fight mode. Go steal from a big box store if you must steal, leave small family businesses alone!
    Anyway.......keep all the wonderful pictures and stories coming. I love them all!
    Congratulations to all facing life changes with such courage and excitement!
    Hugs to those facing health challenges for themselves, family, friends, or pets.
    Welcome to so many new ladies! This is a wonderful group!
    I am trying to read missed months so that I can get back in the loop.

Kylia heading to work in Ohio
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 384 Member
    🌻🌻Good morning beautiful ladies!!
    Debby in Va
  • Machka9
    Today I wore a dress! First time in over 4 months!

I often wear a dress or skirt to work. I prefer them to pants ... much more comfortable.

But since the shutdown, I've been wearing shorts or stretchy pants.

So last night I did a dig through the dress section of my closet and reacquainted myself with my dresses. :)

I might have gone back to work too soon, I'm not sure. Each day I've arrived home with a whopping headache in my sinuses and front of my head, and my eyes hurt. I've laid down on the sofa with my eyes closed while my husband makes dinner which helps a bit. I've also taken to wearing darker glasses.

It doesn't help that I've got one hot flash after another after another after another after another all day long.

Looking forward to the weekend.

And next week the sky should be slightly lighter when I get home from work which may improve my outlook.

Today was another "class" ... online ... in my uni course. In this course, we've formed groups and we have three assignments, each building on the one before. In our online workshops (like today) our instructor gives us some guidance of where we should be, and then our groups work together. We also work together during the week.

Because it is the last course, there is no new information ... no lectures. We're putting together what we've learned into these assignments.

Thankfully, my group seems to be working fairly well together and we are on track.

@spikeyhair ... I'm sorry to hear about your SIL. I hope she can find a good place.

@grandmallie ... I hope that graduation party on Saturday is socially distanced! :)

s63yyu5ga2iw.png

Machka in Oz
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Frankly Faye, I do not like your attitude this morning.

Love Faye
    qfqftepz0ldf.jpg
  • Sara628588
    Sara628588 Posts: 88 Member
    Honestly, I have one day 'off' and come back to millions of messages :) Been busy reading all the chatter.

I'm going to visit my dad this weekend, he had a heart attack a few weeks ago, Drs say he only has 25% heart left. Not sure what to feel about that! My mum though is a feeder and even though I am trying to be food good she will feed me mountains. Its going to be an interesting weekend.

Sara UK
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,929 Member
    Machka:
    I also think you went back too soon. Please give yourself time to properly heal and recover. Hope the uni course continues to go well.
    Kylia:
    OMG! Low life’s!!!! How dreadful for you. Is it possible to have the equipment behind the counter, out of sight, or secured in place somehow.
    ☘️ Terri