Masks for doing cardio that won’t suffocate

I need suggestions for a mask that I won’t feel like I’m suffocating in during cardio. I’ve tried the disposable blue ones and these cloth ones from Old Navy. I just feel like I’m not getting enough air in and I have to stop the exercise because I feel light headed. But I’m trying to stay active 😩

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Do you have to wear a mask? I do cardio at home or outside. I wouldn't go to a gym right now for cardio.
    Have you tried a bandana?
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Adidas makes a good, one size fits all mask. Under Armour has sizable masks but I have yet to try those. Basically, source from athletic shops.

Still, I prefer ones made by a local lady who includes a metal nose bridge, horizontal pleats and comfortable ear elastics. Hers give me the easiest time when exercising with these dreaded things on.

Upside? I feel like I'm improving cardio (somehow and somewhat) from having to regulate my breath differently when cycling or running #silverlining
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 207 Member
    I have been running outside at temps above 90-95 while wearing a bandanna covering. My heart rate and pace are pretty much exactly the same as before. I will say that it took some getting used to but I think it’s more psychosomatic than anything. I fold the bandanna so that it lays on the bridge of my nose and drops past my neck.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited July 2020
    This thing is a miracle (no impact to getting air in):

https://www.zensah.com/products/performance-face-mask

It’s as close to not wearing a mask as I have been able to find (while still wearing a mask). You can easily breathe in and I feel no air through the mask when I breathe out (so presumably it is doing the same as any other mask to limit me from breathing my cooties on others).
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 207 Member

It’s as close to not wearing a mask as I have been able to find (while still wearing a mask). You can easily breathe in and I feel no air through the mask when I breathe out (so presumably it is doing the same as any other mask to limit me from breathing my cooties on others).

Definitely going to try one of these! Thanks for the recommendation.
  • Gaygirl2120
    Gaygirl2120 Posts: 541 Member
    Do you have to wear a mask? I do cardio at home or outside. I wouldn't go to a gym right now for cardio.
    Have you tried a bandana?

Yes because it’s for the gym because & we have to wear masks. Maybe I’ll try a bandanna.

• Gaygirl2120
    Gaygirl2120 Posts: 541 Member

Just ordered one! Thanks 😊
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    This is the mask Galen Rupp wore in 2011 when he won the 10,000m at the USA Track & Field Championships.

He has asthma and severe allergies and, apparently, the pollen count was off the charts....

https://u2sportmask.com/product/u2-sport-mask/
  • mullanphylane
    mullanphylane Posts: 172 Member
    edited July 2020
    Unless there have been new masks designed, tested and certified in the last couple weeks, any masks that permit easy breathing during a cardio workout are not effective in blocking the virus. Most, if not all, masks being sold for use during sports are great dust masks, but a wearer should keep in mind that dust particles are as much as a thousand times larger than a large virus. And heavier breathing drastically reduces any mask's effectiveness.

So, if concerns are about blocking dust or pollen or other solid particles, those sports masks are the way to go. If the wearer wants to decrease the risk of spreading or catching an infectious virus, these masks should be avoided because they don't do that.

Before spending good money on a bad (one that is not effective at blocking viruses) mask, check it's credentials:
    • What percentage of particles does it block?
    • What size particles does it block?
    • Does it block in both directions (inhalation & exhalation - protecting the wearer and others)
    • Is it certified to meet any of its claims?
    • If certified, by what organization? (In US that would be NIOSH)

Seriously, if anyone finds a mask that is NIOSH certified to be, even 35%, effective against particles as small as viruses, PLEASE share that information.

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Unless there have been new masks designed, tested and certified in the last couple weeks, any masks that permit easy breathing during a cardio workout are not effective in blocking the virus. Most, if not all, masks being sold for use during sports are great dust masks, but a wearer should keep in mind that dust particles are as much as a thousand times larger than a large virus. And heavier breathing drastically reduces any mask's effectiveness.

So, if concerns are about blocking dust or pollen or other solid particles, those sports masks are the way to go. If the wearer wants to decrease the risk of spreading or catching an infectious virus, these masks should be avoided because they don't do that.

Before spending good money on a bad (one that is not effective at blocking viruses) mask, check it's credentials:
    • What percentage of particles does it block?
    • What size particles does it block?
    • Does it block in both directions (inhalation & exhalation - protecting the wearer and others)
    • Is it certified to meet any of its claims?
    • If certified, by what organization? (In US that would be NIOSH)

Seriously, if anyone finds a mask that is NIOSH certified to be, even 35%, effective against particles as small as viruses, PLEASE share that information.

In my area, such certified/particulate filtering masks are to be reserved for medical staff only. Regular, lay people who are wearing a face covering in places where consistent social distancing is difficult are typically wearing masks made of cloth (regular, everyday cloth), disposable non-medical masks or DIY coverings from bandanas or old tshirts.

I am going to guess none of these products are certified by anyone. The intention isn’t to protect the person wearing the face covering. The intention is to provide something that helps keep SOME of what we breathe out from dispersing - in areas where it’s difficult to consistently maintain a reasonable distance from others. Some. Enough that paired with social distancing as much as possible-it’s slowing the spread.

Anything that actually blocks virus should be reserved for medical staff. So no-none of these sports masks will pass any certification. Neither will any other product that I’m wearing (or supposed to be wearing in my location). So I’m going to opt for one that allows me to function and on the few occasions where I’m within 10 ft of another person, it might help keep me from breathing my cooties on them (and their non-certified mask does the same for me).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Jax2120 wrote: »
    I need suggestions for a mask that I won’t feel like I’m suffocating in during cardio. I’ve tried the disposable blue ones and these cloth ones from Old Navy. I just feel like I’m not getting enough air in and I have to stop the exercise because I feel light headed. But I’m trying to stay active 😩

Primal (cycling apparel company) makes some with a frame (holds it away, keeping it from suctioning to your nose/mouth).

Or possibly one of the lower-grade dust masks from a hardware store that are stiff.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member

The point of lay people wearing masks is primarily to catch the water droplets (that may contain the virus) that they themselves are expelling.

..And also (even if one didn't care about doing that) that they are required before entry into businesses in many areas.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    The disposable ones I had a hard time with. I got cloth ones from Gap and they were much better.
    I received an Under Armor one as a gift and used for the first time today. It’s a thick mask, it was fine for lifting, but my face was heating up with I was running & it was uncomfortable.