Recipe Hack for Splendid Spoon's Detox Shot?

saltysparkle
saltysparkle Posts: 145 Member
edited July 2020 in Food and Nutrition
Hey there!

I had a chance to try Splendid Spoon's Detox shot with apple, lemon, aloe, kale, moringa, and spirulina and I loved it! But even if I could afford to stock up on them at $5/3 oz., I'd rather donate my money to a worthy cause. So I've decided to try to figure out the recipe myself. But before I get cracking on tests: Have any of you already done this successfully? I don't feel a great need to reinvent the wheel if you have. :)

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,214 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Detoxes are a waste of time and money... I wouldn't bother with it.

</thread>
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Detoxes are a waste of time and money... I wouldn't bother with it.

• Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited July 2020
    Let your liver and kidneys do what they do best

• saltysparkle
    Let your liver and kidneys do what they do best

So, maybe I should have added that I'm not drinking this stuff for the detox properties as much as because I love the flavor and it's healthier than an iced coffee or a sugary drink!

But also, to your point: My liver and kidneys aren't in such great shape. My doc is trying to figure that out...
  • arielt13
    arielt13 Posts: 1 Member
    Hey! I actually work at Splendid and we had a demo with our chef on how to make a similar shot. They're SO yummy so I don't blame you for wanting to make them at home. This isn't the exact recipe (ours has oregano extract in it) but a similar version was pretty simply made in a blender and then strained before drinking using fresh squeezed OJ, a knob of ginger, some turmeric, and a crack of black pepper.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Fruit juice is NOT a particularly healthy food. Drinking juice without the solids of the whole food can be too much of a sugar jolt and can be calorie dense. So, enjoy your juice-based drink as you would other high calorie, high sugar foods. That being said, I do wish you luck with replicating a flavor you liked. Even the failures will be fun to try.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,967 Member
    I would experiment with the ingredients you know - the ones you listed in OP - or maybe googles drinks recipes with those ingredients and try them out.

If you use the the recipe builder you will know how many calories they are and be able to adjust your portions accordingly.
  • saltysparkle
    arielt13 wrote: »
    Hey! I actually work at Splendid and we had a demo with our chef on how to make a similar shot. They're SO yummy so I don't blame you for wanting to make them at home. This isn't the exact recipe (ours has oregano extract in it) but a similar version was pretty simply made in a blender and then strained before drinking using fresh squeezed OJ, a knob of ginger, some turmeric, and a crack of black pepper.

Oh, wow! What were the chances?!

The one with OJ I feel like would be perfect when I have a cold. Did you make the green one, too? That's the one I'm trying to figure out right now.