Treadmill workouts

I am trying to get motivated to stay on my treadmill for at least 45 minutes per workout. I have everything I need to do this. My husband has set up a personal space just for me, my tv, music, weights, and a beautiful view from the upper level of our house. Why is this such a struggle!! I do have a lot to lose, but I couldn't ask for a better atmosphere to complete this journey. Help!!

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    It sounds like a great start and I feel your pain about keeping to it, particularly for indoor stationary training. (Although, depending on where you live, it could be preferable to outdoors for many reasons.)

I need some sort of fitness goal to be consistent with my training. Typically, this has been a charity event event, such as a road race, swim race, or triathlon (one of the super short ones). All those events are cancelled this year, but if you can create a fitness goal of your own (being able to walk or run a certain distance in a certain amount of time, preferably outdoors), it can really help.

Honestly, though, it helps to put some money on the line, so a fund-raiser of some sort could be even better. Many organizations are offering virtual events, meaning on the designated day you do the walk/run on your own chosen route, bringing along all your own supplies, with your own support (maybe your husband will help), throwing your own after-party, and still giving the charity your money! (What a deal! Sign me up! There better be a t-shirt or other swag!)

One I have done in the past with my wife is Making Strides Against Breast Cancer:

https://secure.acsevents.org/site/SPageServer?pagename=strides_learn

(I have not looked into what they are doing this year.)

Best of luck and keep at it!
  • stunning365
    stunning365 Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks so much. I really appreciate the input!!
  • teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    @Stunning365, have you already been using the treadmill or are you just starting? If you are just starting, have you considered starting out smaller, for example, 15 minutes for 3x a day, then increasing the amount of time per session as you build yourself up? I'm not able to do this everyday, sometimes I don't get a lunch break, but when I can, I do 30 minutes at lunch and 20 minutes at night. But, when I first started, I was only doing 15 minutes per day.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    I run 60+ miles every week and none of them are on the dreadmill. If that was my only choice I wouldn't be motivated either (and forcing myself would only make me hate it more). I suggest you find something you enjoy. Have you tried running outside?
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Exercise is a difficult habit to start. Your body is not used to it and, therefore, the exercise is much harder for a newcomer than an old hand. Acknowledge that and except it.
    One of the things I HATE about piano teachers is that they tell a kid, "If you want to be good, you must practice an hour a day!" (Bear with me here, for a second.)
    They tell a 10-year-old this. They tell a kid who is just beginning this.
    Okay, sometimes it is only a half an hour they prescribe to the real beginner. But, as soon as a kid shows any interest or aptitude, its an hour. And then the requirement goes up from there, two hours, three hours, ... you get the point.
    All of that may be true! Those who are really good pianists undoubtedly do practice a lot.
    BUT THEY DON'T START OUT THAT WAY!
    Learning to practice well is part of the learning process. No untrained young kid has that kind of an attention span. No one who is just learning the keyboard, and struggling with everything they try, is going to be able to sit there and torture themselves for half an hour every day.
    The same is true with exercise. So, let it develop.
    If you cannot do 15 minutes a day, then do five minutes -- maybe twice. If you do, that five minutes will get easier and easier, and pretty soon you will be able to do 10 minutes. In fact, you will want to, because you will have started to experience the satisfaction and enjoyment of that movement and breathing and sweat.
    If you don't push so hard that the practice becomes unpleasant, pretty soon you will get to the point where you will be looking forward to 45 minutes on the treadmill, because you will realize that running is meditative and the feeling afterwards is exquisite. Even though it is not at first!
    I so wish piano teachers would learn this. Learning how to practice is as much of the learning as the actual practice is. Nobody just goes out and is able to run the 15, 18, 20-mile runs that are necessary to train for a marathon. You have to work up to it. You have to run a quarter mile first. Then half a mile, for a while. Etc.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Are you walking or running, or mixing it up? Does your TM have programs that you can follow?

Mine has programs, but I have to adjust the paces to work for me. For one thing, mine doesn't give enough warm-up time, so I will usually do a mile or more on my own before starting one of the 20, 30, 40, or 60 minute programs. Mostly I do my own workouts, often a progression where I start at a very easy pace and gradually increase either speed or incline until it starts to become challenging, then go back down in pace. Sometimes I'll alternate a slow easy pace with a more challenging one for one, two or three minutes each. Sometimes I'll do quarter mile intervals, or half miles, alternating with easy recoveries, or go 1 minute, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, 4 minutes, 5 minutes, 4 minutes, 3 minutes, 2 minutes, 1 minute. IOW, what makes the treadmill bearable for me, is being able to mix up my workouts, so no two days are exactly alike.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Maybe you want to have variety? You don't have to do every workout on the treadmill and you don't have to do the same workout on the treadmill each time. Mix it up with walking and incline intervals. Start slow and work your way up.
  • stunning365
    You all are great. Such good advice. I have been walking at least 30 minutes day, watching my favorite shows with a little music in my ear, been adding a little weight training in as well. So far so good and I definitely feel better. I do appreciate you all!!
  • WitePhantom
    WitePhantom Posts: 7 Member
    I spend an hour each morning, but literally the only way I can get myself to do a whole hour is by alternating running and walking. If I only walk, I get bored, but I certainly can’t run a whole hour anymore. By doing intervals, it keeps it interesting.

When I first began, it was three songs walking, one running. By using songs rather than minutes, it let me focus on my music and I found it easier to stick with. These days I do a fifteen minute warmup walk, and then I have to get six songs of running in. It can be all at once, or I can break it up. I enjoy seeing my stamina improve week by week.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    I'm a treadmill runner too. I stated back in March with the C25K program. In the beginning it wasn't so bad, I didn't need a lot of audio/visual aids to help get me through because the intervals were so quick (run for 60 seconds, walk for 90 seconds, repeat). But as the intervals got longer it was harder to zone out and not just watch the clock! I started with music but that only worked for like 2 or 3 times. I found podcasts to be a life saver. I could just put one on and listen without thinking about the time or the clock or the distance. And there are like bazillions of them available!
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    I usually do intervals on the treadmill. Makes the workout a bit more interesting.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Watch tv, listen to podcasts, read. I got a fantastic deal on a commercial life fitness treadmill that has trails built in (with video and facts about the different parts of the world). I joked with my husband that I was hiking in New Zealand the other day. 😜
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    No matter how nice the view, no matter how many distractions like shows and music you have, you still have to do the work, and it's hard to start that habit. It's a mental thing we all have to overcome: "Sure, I *could* watch that show on the treadmill...*OR* I could watch it on the couch. Welp, that's a no brainer, couch it is!"
  • michelle_v_nc
    michelle_v_nc Posts: 4 Member
    I have been listening to a GREAT podcast called "CUT THE FAT." I only listen to it when I exercise. It is inspiring and full of great info! As others have said, intervals is the way to go. I watched a great youtube video "GET FIT IN SIX MINUTES" that I've incorporated into my treadmill routine this week. I can feel the muscles in my thighs, soreness, more now than when I only walk. I aim for an hour of walking with a few slow jogs thrown in.
  • kwhammett567
    kwhammett567 Posts: 4 Member
    Girl, walk and run! Do intervals, they will help pass the time. Walk for 5 minutes, jog for 3 minutes and sprint as fast and safely as you can for 30 sec-1min. Keep doing this over and over. It will speed up your weightloss and improve your endurance. The 45-min will pass quickly. I also like to listen to Billy Alsbrook, TD Jakes or The Rock for motivation while I work-out. Get it girl!
  • stunning365
    Thanks again everyone! I really appreciate the input.
  • lisaepell
    lisaepell Posts: 103 Member
    I am not a runner, but when I run, it's only outside, not on the treadmill, I use the treadmill for walking and I'm usually happy for a solid hour-long show (42 minutes if I skip the commercials). I have created a few workouts of my own. 5x5: Increase the resistance by 5, every 5 minutes to the top and then decrease every five minutes back down, adjusting the speed as needed. When I'm feeling really bored, I increase the incline by 1, every minute (with 5 minutes at the start plus 5 minutes at the end it's a solid 40 minutes. Sometimes, I'll do steady state (4.0 speed at a 1% incline for the whole time) but jump off every 5 minutes or so and do some arm work. It's the same idea as the intervals that the others suggested, just minus the running. Do whatever makes the exercise enjoyable for you because that how you'll stick to it, good luck!!!