Guess the Calories

2»

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Oh and this is a game that would be very hard to get right based on pictures. However in real life situations this is a worthy skill to develop. It is not about getting it 100 percent right but ballparking it or identifying when something is not right. Have you ever gotten a restaurant salad with so much cheese and other caloric toppings that it had to be easily twice the posted calories? I have. In fact I have noticed since covid that some restaurants are being extra generous and some are being extra thrifty with portions and ingredients. Now you can easily turn a blind eye if you rarely eat out but if, like me, you sometimes have so much going on that you end up eating out 3 or 4 times in a week it is worth trying to get it closer.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Oh and this is a game that would be very hard to get right based on pictures. However in real life situations this is a worthy skill to develop. It is not about getting it 100 percent right but ballparking it or identifying when something is not right. Have you ever gotten a restaurant salad with so much cheese and other caloric toppings that it had to be easily twice the posted calories? I have. In fact I have noticed since covid that some restaurants are being extra generous and some are being extra thrifty with portions and ingredients. Now you can easily turn a blind eye if you rarely eat out but if, like me, you sometimes have so much going on that you end up eating out 3 or 4 times in a week it is worth trying to get it closer.

I've noticed that. I eat out a lot, too, and heavily customize my food choices, but I do wonder how accurate the food maker is with my requests. For instance, yesterday, I got a chicken burrito supreme at Taco Bell during my walk, and asked for easy on the beans, cheese, and red sauce, which should have put the calorie count at 330 for the burrito. But I couldn't help but wonder how accurate they were. They aren't weight portions back there, just using scoops to approximate a serving, so who knows? IT was probably more calories than that 330 I counted at any rate!

So if I post a picture of my alfredo sauce, so I disclose the ingredients beforehand and let folks guess based on that, or do it like a restaurant and make them just guess from the finished product? lol
  • bmeadows380
    Salmon fettuccini alfredo with spinach noodles and fresh zucchini on the side

4kjfrjdzpwc0.jpg
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,525 Member
    very green and pretty!

no food weight?

real Alfredo or "cut calorie" Alfredo? Salmon origin? (Atlantic farmed, canned pink, canned red/sockeye)?
  • bmeadows380
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    very green and pretty!

no food weight?

real Alfredo or "cut calorie" Alfredo? Salmon origin? (Atlantic farmed, canned pink, canned red/sockeye)?

56g of spinach noodles, 1 whole can of canned pink salmon, and 8g of homemade "lightened" version alfredo sauce (and really, I don't miss heavy whipping cream at all!)
  • bmeadows380
    edited July 2020
    oh, and I don't bother trying to calculate the amount of trivial fat from the cooking spray used to saute the zucchini, so that's not part of the calculation.

And the whole thing tasted way, way better than it looked! lol :grin:
  • NovusDies
    743 calories
  • PAV8888
    Can of pink salmon 310
    57g fresh noodles uncooked 210 to 230
    zucchini with some provision for oil 50
    I would think that Alfredo was more; but was stated as 8g.
    Max Cal for that would be 72. On face value it is lightened, so I'll call it 50.
    I don't see cheese sprinkled on top

So, eating out I would go with 700+ to account for hidden oil or butter in the sauce and noodles. But, thinking as to who cooked it and the above info especially the only 8g for the sauce... 600 to 650.

My vote: 630
  • bmeadows380
    5vdorn1dlmt5.png

yobweb8hh9fe.png
  • PAV8888
    edited August 2020
    What type of tiny can do you guys get down there?!!??!?!?!?!

o7eiahsz8fd6.jpg

vhohk9jyxdbt.jpg

213g per can

So 3.8727 * 55 per can (I've weighed them before and they are usually within 5 grams of 213. This includes content and liquid, so the calories are not for drained. I used 310 because I actually have a sockeye can on hand and they are 80 Cal instead of the 70 Cal per 55g for the pink!)

213g is a 7.5oz can. 55g is a tiny bit under 2oz.

• bmeadows380
    I'm using a small can - the size of a typical tuna can :)
  • PAV8888
    You talking 'bout the half a bite little baby 85g tuna cans with some sort of flavouring for like 85 to 120 Cal more or less for most? (I don't buy the ones that are higher in Cal)

DEY'RE SOOOO CUTE!!!!

I sometimes stock up on the flavoured tuna ones when they're on sale and use them for snax!
  • NovusDies
    very green and pretty!

no food weight?

56g of spinach noodles, 1 whole can of canned pink salmon, and 8g of homemade "lightened" version alfredo sauce (and really, I don't miss heavy whipping cream at all!)

Who says a "whole can" when they mean one of those tiny deals?

Sneaky.
  • bmeadows380
    NovusDies wrote: »
    very green and pretty!

no food weight?

Who says a "whole can" when they mean one of those tiny deals?

Sneaky.

*laughs* but it WAS a whole can! No body said it had to be a certain size can! lol

I drained it off completely and gave the liquid to my cat, hence some of the reason for the lower numbers

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    I wish I likes salmon...I have tried but I don’t....nor avocado....green slime!