Dieting through tough times...?

I just wanted to ask for advice, as many people here have a lot of wisdom to share. If one is going through tough times, while missing someone dear to them, what is the best approach to dieting, as counting calories becomes a little difficult, and so does too much exercise. I'm still TRYING to count cals, and they are not too much over my caloric limit.

Replies

• huntersmom2016
    huntersmom2016 Posts: 185 Member
    first, let me say im sorry for what you are going through. for your question, I have a question of my own. what is your weekly goal set at? .5 lb? 1? 2? the reason I ask is bc you say you are only going a little over the limit. if your cal limit is set at .5 lb, you don't have as much leeway to go over your calories and still lose weight as you do at 2 lbs a week.

you are doing the right thing by still logging what you eat. if your limit is set at 2 lbs a week, maybe reset your goals to 1 lb. or something. it'll help you relax until you can get your mind back into focus.

im going through a rough time myself, and I even posted something similar. the advice I got was to keep logging, which you are already doing. I have also changed my goal to only .5 lb a week until I can get myself focused again.

I hope this helps.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,048 Member
    I mean it depends really, on what the situation is and whether you FEEL you can carry on. What you find hard to deal with, others might be able to carry on and vice versa.

When I experience great stress or grief or depression or anything like that, i give myself a break. To me, my mental health is more important than my physical. Mental health is harder to reverse in my opinion.

So i either take a break completely or i go to maintenance. I have friends on here so normally ill stop logging and just speak to them daily for support and I'm normally up and running again in a couple of weeks.

I've not logged for about 2 months now, but im on here every day to speak to my friends. I posted some goals last week and achieved some but stuff happened again and I stopped again.
    I've been that stressed recently I've not been able to eat ANYTHING. So I've shredded weight. So in that aspect ive not had to worry about gaining but now that stressor has gone I feel my appetite again. And I feel almost "ready" to log again.
    I'm dreading that I'll pile on the pounds I lost because I didnt lose them healthily.

So basically, whatever you feel you're capable of, there's no shame in stopping if you're feeling the way you do!!

Sorry for the essay haha