Pointers for a New mom wanting to get in shape?

I have done this before but now as a new mom there just isn't enough hours in the day and by time the baby goes to sleep I'm so exhausted I can't function. I have been wanting to take the baby for walks but the heat is to much for her. I need to build stanima and get more motivation. I have an, an circle I try to use altho I don't get on it much but I'm not sure it will even help. I need some pointers where to start. I'm working on nutrition and actually it's an easy one for me because I don't like junk food except the accasionl bit of chocolate or a S'more when we go camping. I have a youga ball also but not sure what I can do with it to get a good workout when I only have 10 or so min a day.

Replies

• mustardnchips
    mustardnchips Posts: 22 Member
    Following, my little girl is younger, but when my daily steps hit 78 for the day i had to do something. i can at least stick her in the pram for a nap and walk, sometimes, but only managing to walk so far. I've just cancelled my gym membership as there is no creche.

Have you got a jump rope you can use in those ten minutes?
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    edited July 2020
    I used to use my babies to workout. Instead of rocking them in a rocker, I'd imitate the motion by doing lunges. When they were on the floor, I've hover above them and make a game out of doing pushups by making faces as I get closer to them. Jog while taking them on a walk. Put them on your chest as you do situps.. The exercise you do doesn't have to be crazy involved.
  • amber5151
    amber5151 Posts: 51 Member
    That yoga ball will be your best friend. Bounce holding the baby, hold her and rock her sitting on it instead of a rocking chair. While she's content doing tummy time, do some YouTube yoga ball videos
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Been a while since I was a new mum, my youngest baby is now 9 - but I used to do home workouts while they were little, sometimes while they napped, sometimes while they just sat in a bouncy chair and watched me. It wasn't perfect, and sometimes I'd only get a few minutes in before they needed me, but anything is better than nothing, I figured! I still do home workouts by the way, have a full gym set up in my garage now :) once they hit 2 or so and slept through the night, I started getting up at 5 to get a good workout in before they woke up.
    Maybe check out Beachbody on demand, or find some Youtube workouts you like. Even 10 minutes a day will get you moving in the right direction.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    not a mom myself, but maybe some of the shorter youtube videos would be viable? throw in one or two 10-15 minute ones when possible? there's a lot available on youtube where all you really need is a surface to work out on and your own bodyweight
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited July 2020
    I would incorporate resistance training if all possible. Not knowing more details about you, makes it inappropriate on how to go about that. Basically you have to make time by what ever means. Have someone watch the baby for 20-30 mins two-three times a week. Something you already touched on by incorporating your child into the time slots. Something like step ups, walking up stairs, squats all can be done while holding the young one. Just got to get creative on a program of basic resistance training movements.

Probably a poor example but I literally have had six hours of sleep in three days and still made time to resistance train two of the three days. Everyone has the same amount of time in the day, and we all have different priorities. We can sometimes be a bit more efficient and "discover" time that might not be ideal but doable for our goals and life if that makes sense?
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Can you do a walk with the baby earlier in the morning to avoid the heat? I have 2 kids (2.5 and 9 months) and I’ve been doing a 2 mile walk every morning right after breakfast. Pushing the double stroller even burns more calories!

Also, they make battery operated fans that can clip on a stroller, and cooling towels and other products that can keep the baby at a safe temperature while you do your walk. Unless you are in a more extreme climate you can probably fit in a walk most days.
  • creesama
    creesama Posts: 125 Member
    Today I hopped on the elliptical for 20min while the 2.5 year old and 6 month old napped. It's rare they overlap, but when they do, I try to take advantage. There are walking videos on Youtube by Leslie Sansone, some as short as 10 min! In the evenings I've had my husband take over solo for a half hour so I can squeeze some cardio in. Be easy on yourself mama, you are juggling a lot. You got this!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Start with one change that you can live with. It might be doing a walking in place video for 10 min a day. My kids are adults now, and honestly, if someone had been kind enough to tell me that when they were infants and toddlers, I was "doing" enough by keeping them happy and healthy most days, I could have avoided so much disappointment about how my body looked post pregnancy. You just put your body through a workout like no other. The fact that you have a good grip on your nutrition is such a great start. Try to find something you can fit in without leaving the house if it's too hot to go out for a walk. You Tube is full of ideas. Start with something short and doable.

And whatever you do, give yourself the grace to take a nap if that's what you need. You don't need to feel badly for choosing that over a workout when you are exhausted. "Finding time" has a whole new meaning from now on. You are juggling a lot. You deserve to feel proud and productive, no matter how you choose to spend your "free" time with a baby. Hang in there. Other mamas have got your back! :heart:
  • kmsimmons402
    kmsimmons402 Posts: 19 Member
    I have 3 under 3! 2 year old twins and an 11 month old. I started working out when the baby was able 6 months old and consistently sleeping through the night. That for me was the only way I could get it done without being completely exhausted all day. I wake up at 6am, have coffee, and do a 30-45 minute YouTube workout 5 days a week. I then am able to shower and get all the girls out of their cribs by 7:30. I’ve lost 17lbs in about 6 months! Hope this helps :)
  • stellagregory94
    stellagregory94 Posts: 6 Member
    My little girl is 6 months old. Finally taking the time to wrk on my health. Looking to connect with other moms, bonus points if you gave birth during COVID. We can swap stories!
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    My little one is 8 now and it's a different situation entirely. But I remember very well how difficult getting my own time and space was for the first 4 years, and especially when she was an infant and toddler.

Remember that things will change with time. Your baby will slowly become more independent and you will notice that there is more space for your needs. Hang in there!

Sometimes women have situations in which they can ask a partner for space or time, or they have a community of support. If you have these then express your needs! I did not have this.

Either way, take care of your basic mental health first so that you can do that needs doing.