What exercise category would this fall into?

OAS5
OAS5 Posts: 374 Member
I have an extremely physical job and while its not technically "exercise" I take anywhere from 10,000 step to 20,000 steps some days. Its not just steps, its steps with stress. Its holding heavy equipment. Its up hills, down hills. Today I took 13,885 steps by my Google fit app. That is only steps, I wonder truly how many calories I burned today alone? I was holding a heavy weed wacker the entire day. Would this be considered kinda cardio for the most part?

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Since this is your job, I would just put Very Active as your activity level, rather than enter it separately as cardio exercise. If you are losing more weight than you expect, change your calorie level.
  • abdulsamadx
    abdulsamadx Posts: 3 Member
    OAS5 wrote: »
    I have an extremely physical job and while its not technically "exercise" I take anywhere from 10,000 step to 20,000 steps some days. Its not just steps, its steps with stress. Its holding heavy equipment. Its up hills, down hills. Today I took 13,885 steps by my Google fit app. That is only steps, I wonder truly how many calories I burned today alone? I was holding a heavy weed wacker the entire day. Would this be considered kinda cardio for the most part?

Walking is generally classified as cardio as opposed to resistance training which builds mass and strength both. However, since you are also carrying heavy equipments, it may add to your overall body strength/endurance. Either way, your activity level replenishes energy levels whether stored in your body (fats) or consumed (glycogen). Hence, depending on your ultimate goal, you may or may not be able to Achieve your target weight. 10,000 steps burns roughly 300 calories; adding weight and going uphill may burn more calories and vice versa.
  • OAS5
    Thanks guys, appreciate it. I wish there was a device that accurately counted exactly how many calories you burned in a day through all activities.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Sadly even activity trackers are relying on distance traveled for pace at stated weight.

It would be underestimated since you are carrying a lot of weight.

Stick with Very active - log food very accurately for a month - and see what adjustment is needed.

If you can get yourself into a research study, you could get some double-labeled water and they'd test what your daily calorie burn is.

While looking up what that is - look up how they know. Perhaps more involved than you might like. ;-)
  • OAS5
    Thanks for the info guys. I think I'm lucky in a way to have such a physical job, yeah hard work but burns a ton of calories. In the fall from October to December I will take 15,000 to 20,000 steps a day.