Starting over again

2»

Replies

• nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    One benefit of logging everything, even a 'cheat' meal: it is a way for you to remain in control over your food choices. Having something because you want it, will enjoy it, and believe those qualities make it 'worth' the calories is different from just randomly eating things on a whim. (I call it mindless eating, like eating chips out of a bag while watching tv.)

Consider that your caloric needs are a budget, not terribly different from your financial budget. You would not recommend for someone to go on a shopping spree every Friday/Saturday/Sunday - without considering how it will impact their bank account. Even if they stick to a budget the rest of the week, and only spend money on bills/rent Mon-Thur. Same for calories.
  • digidoomed
    digidoomed Posts: 151 Member
    One benefit of logging everything, even a 'cheat' meal: it is a way for you to remain in control over your food choices. Having something because you want it, will enjoy it, and believe those qualities make it 'worth' the calories is different from just randomly eating things on a whim. (I call it mindless eating, like eating chips out of a bag while watching tv.)

Consider that your caloric needs are a budget, not terribly different from your financial budget. You would not recommend for someone to go on a shopping spree every Friday/Saturday/Sunday - without considering how it will impact their bank account. Even if they stick to a budget the rest of the week, and only spend money on bills/rent Mon-Thur. Same for calories.

That's a good way to look at it
  • sawyerlm
    sawyerlm Posts: 3 Member
    I think the convo on this thread is totally logical, for the record. I just thought I'd pop in to add my .02.

I've struggled with black and white thinking and have made an effort in the recent years to think differently about food and exercise and life in general. With this in mind, here's something to think about:

Make sure whatever you are doing is in support of the lifestyle you can and want to maintain. So if tracking everything you eat on the weekend is something you think you would never want to do long term, maybe try something else that will help you control calories in a different way. Maybe on the weekend try limiting alcohol, or limiting snacking, or upping exercise or something else that will help get your calories more in check. Try that for a couple weeks and see if that helps the scale move.

In my view it's not all or nothing. There might be an in between that gets you to your goal.

Best of luck.
  • digidoomed
    digidoomed Posts: 151 Member
    sawyerlm wrote: »
    I think the convo on this thread is totally logical, for the record. I just thought I'd pop in to add my .02.

I've struggled with black and white thinking and have made an effort in the recent years to think differently about food and exercise and life in general. With this in mind, here's something to think about:

Make sure whatever you are doing is in support of the lifestyle you can and want to maintain. So if tracking everything you eat on the weekend is something you think you would never want to do long term, maybe try something else that will help you control calories in a different way. Maybe on the weekend try limiting alcohol, or limiting snacking, or upping exercise or something else that will help get your calories more in check. Try that for a couple weeks and see if that helps the scale move.

In my view it's not all or nothing. There might be an in between that gets you to your goal.

Best of luck.

Thank you. I think it's best I follow everyone's advice and track on the weekends. My mentality previously was "I don't eat as frequently on the weekends, so it's not worth tracking" but it is true there could be calories in the foods I'm eating or drinks that I'm not aware of. I'm already taking steps to correct. I went grocery shopping yesterday with a plan for things I can make/eat on the weekends to avoid eating out