What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    is this unpopular? idk. Cookie dough ice cream is, in general, not worth it.
  • pancakerunner
    steak sauce ruins steak
  • mytyglotz
    mytyglotz Posts: 1,804 Member
    Jazz up fresh watermelon with ground cinnamon!!
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I like oranges but find them a little bit inconvenient to eat, and occasionally you get one that's not as good. That's why I prefer clementines. (I love orange juice, but rarely drink it because it's high cal to satisfaction ratio. I do drink it when I stay at a hotel that has fresh squeezed, it's my little indulgence.)

Gosh, I cannot stand anything about oranges.

Off the current trend of this conversation but I mention in another post that I cannot stand tacos.. No matter from where or how they are made
  • mytyglotz
    I like oranges but find them a little bit inconvenient to eat, and occasionally you get one that's not as good. That's why I prefer clementines. (I love orange juice, but rarely drink it because it's high cal to satisfaction ratio. I do drink it when I stay at a hotel that has fresh squeezed, it's my little indulgence.)

Off the current trend of this conversation but I mention in another post that I cannot stand tacos.. No matter from where or how they are made

I don't eat tacos, but, if you don't mind me asking, is there a particular aspect of tacos that deters you (like an ingredient, or the presentation, or the typical way of eating a taco)?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited July 2020
    mytyglotz wrote: »

I don't eat tacos, but, if you don't mind me asking, is there a particular aspect of tacos that deters you (like an ingredient, or the presentation, or the typical way of eating a taco)?

I don't really eat tacos either -- on the rare occasion I'm somewhere I might get a taco I always prefer enchiladas or (if Chipotle) a lower cal fajita bowl, but am also curious as to this answer. I think hard shell tacos (the only thing I knew growing up) are awful, but there are soft shell.

Also don't get hating everything about oranges, but that's why it's an unpopular opinion!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    To me, saying you don't like tacos is like saying you don't like sandwiches. There are so many variations, with different "wrappers" and different fillings. But, I suppose if you don't like Mexican spices or flavors in general, you probably don't like any traditional tacos.
  • gabriellayang314
    gabriellayang314 Posts: 10 Member
    Cheddar cheese- like a fermented orange chalk- bacon (agreed) like ham with fat taped onto it- donuts (the bagel was put to an oily death) - nuts (unless in butter form- and pistachios are ok)
  • xDaynarose
    xDaynarose Posts: 3 Member
    I cant handle eggs when the white and yolks arent mixed together (fried, boiled poached ect) yet my favourite food ever is Quiche... *shrug*
  • pancakerunner
    xDaynarose wrote: »
    I cant handle eggs when the white and yolks arent mixed together (fried, boiled poached ect) yet my favourite food ever is Quiche... *shrug*

I can't stand cooked egg yolk by itself but love runny egg yolk... and I like egg whites by themselves lol
  • Facet101
    Facet101 Posts: 3 Member
    Hate mushrroms

Avocado is very overrated
  • pancakerunner
    Facet101 wrote: »
    Hate mushrroms

Avocado is very overrated

Regarding the avocado hype... it is only because they have good PR.

Adocado's From Mexico has spent $100 million on advertising lol
  • caitlinbc87
    caitlinbc87 Posts: 58 Member
    Circus peanuts are good.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Circus peanuts are good.

Circus peanuts are BARELY one step above packing peanuts on the food scale
  • SuzySunshine99
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Circus peanuts are good.

Circus peanuts are BARELY one step above packing peanuts on the food scale

I'd rather eat packing peanuts...at least they wouldn't taste like artificial banana.
  • mytyglotz
    Watermelon is best WITH the seeds -- same stands for grapes and cucumbers!!
  • pancakerunner
    "plant based" is totally misleading and think needs to be better regulated.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member

So true. Pretty much everything now says "plant based".

'Plant based food is defined as a finished product consisting of ingredients derived from plants that include vegetables, fruits, whole grains, nuts, seeds and/or legumes.'

Which is basically every type of food. So reeses have peanuts, does that mean they are plant based?
  • SuzySunshine99

'Plant based food is defined as a finished product consisting of ingredients derived from plants that include vegetables, fruits, whole grains, nuts, seeds and/or legumes.'

Which is basically every type of food. So reeses have peanuts, does that mean they are plant based?

Not really...it's my understanding that if it's labeled "plant based", that means there are no animal products used. So, reeses would not be labeled plant based.

It's a way of saying "vegan" without saying "vegan". Which is a distinction because not everyone who does not eat animal products is a vegan. They might still wear leather, silk, etc.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Not really...it's my understanding that if it's labeled "plant based", that means there are no animal products used. So, reeses would not be labeled plant based.

It's a way of saying "vegan" without saying "vegan". Which is a distinction because not everyone who does not eat animal products is a vegan. They might still wear leather, silk, etc.

You'd think so, but there are "plant-based" products that include dairy. Marie Callender's, for example, just came out with two "plant-based" pot pies -- one with faux beef and one with faux chicken . . . but there is dairy in the pie dough. It's a free-for-all.

(I agree with you that most people would expect it to be what you said, "vegan" without saying it).