why am i hungrier at lunch when i eat breakfast?

anna_lowe
anna_lowe Posts: 39 Member
i generally follow the same schedule. i eat lunch at around 11:30 or 12.

if i don't eat breakfast, i can make it to lunch without a problem at all. maybe a couple of hunger twitches but nothing i can't handle.

if i eat breakfast, i'm ravenous 2 hours later and can't make it until 11:30 to eat lunch. i'm talking 'can't focus, hunger pains, almost sick to my stomach' type of hunger.

i don't buy into the 'kickstart my metabolism' shtuff so i don't think that's it.

any ideas?

i only care because i work out early in the morning and would like to eat something afterwards, but not if it's going to make me have to eat an hour later.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    What are you eating in the morning? Try getting a good amount of protein, fiber and fat in it.
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    You break your fast when you eat your first meal. If youre not eating until lunch then that is when youre breaking your fast.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    anna_lowe wrote: »
    i generally follow the same schedule. i eat lunch at around 11:30 or 12.

if i don't eat breakfast, i can make it to lunch without a problem at all. maybe a couple of hunger twitches but nothing i can't handle.

if i eat breakfast, i'm ravenous 2 hours later and can't make it until 11:30 to eat lunch. i'm talking 'can't focus, hunger pains, almost sick to my stomach' type of hunger.

i don't buy into the 'kickstart my metabolism' shtuff so i don't think that's it.

any ideas?

i only care because i work out early in the morning and would like to eat something afterwards, but not if it's going to make me have to eat an hour later.

What are you eating for breakfast? If I were to have something low protein like cereal or a bagel, I would feel this way as well.

My protein powder/coffee/chia seed/coconut shreds smoothie fills me up for a lot longer.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    If what you eat for breakfast is carb or sugar heavy, it may be causing a high-then-low blood sugar sequence that is making you hungrier at lunchtime. Try eating more proteins and fat at breakfast, e.g. eggs instead of cereal.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    anna_lowe wrote: »

I'll get same effect without a workout unless the breakfast is really high protein/fat.
    Sets off bad insulin response for me. I know it does for others too, making them feel hungry when they don't need to be due to low blood sugar when there is plenty available.

What is your workout?

Why do you want to eat something afterwards?

What do you eat?

Your word choice doesn't sound like it's necessary as if super hungry.
  • heybales
    When your glycogen (carb) stores are depleted, which happens usually while you sleep, the body will shift to using fat for fuel. Since you are asleep, you aren’t awake to feel hungry (midnight snack anyone?). Once the body starts using fat for fuel, The body reduces production of the hunger hormone, so you feel less hungry when you wake.

However, once your olfactory senses are activated, you will feel hungry; or you eat breakfast, your metabolism immediately will burn the carbs first because it is easier. You will then experience hunger hormone production once glycogen stores are used up again.

My bet...your breakfast is something with carbs.

Your body was using fat as fuel probably around 90% as you slept. There is no shift to fat, that's primary already all the time until you go closer to anaerobic in a workout.
    Nonsense it's being depleted in liver unless you have setup a prior to bedtime routine of low carb and 1 last really hard workout using glucose to wipe it out.
    Your body will also burn what it ate - while shuttling carbs eaten off to be stored first.

• josh250to180
    josh250to180 Posts: 32 Member
    edited July 2020
    You people disagreeing with certain information are disagreeing with rudimentary understanding of cellular biology that comes from a basic biology or nutrition book (which is where I am getting my information). What gives? If there is other information, please share. I would like to educate myself.
  • josh250to180
    josh250to180 Posts: 32 Member
    edited August 2020
    Thank you for the education and insight. My "rudimentary texts" were a bit vague with this, so I was going on little information. I think this helps me understand the fat zone/ cardio zone classification of heart rate a little more. Though, I wasn't totally wrong...the hunger hormone does kick in after about 2-3 hours if the meal is carb heavy :D which is what the OP is experiencing.

In terms of what the body prefers...I am referencing the carbs it eats, not what is stored. As soon as those new carbs are metabolized, grehlin is produced because it wants to use that instead of its reserves. I am aware that the glycogen stores are saved for intense physical activity but can run out, and that can lead to muscle tissue breakdown because of gluconeogenesis.

So, with that information, workout or not, OP should either not eat breakfast (workout or no workout), eat a fatty breakfast, or snack until lunch if the breakfast is carb heavy.

edited because of phrasing.
  • You people disagreeing with certain information are disagreeing with rudimentary understanding of cellular biology that comes from a basic biology or nutrition book (which is where I am getting my information). What gives? If there is other information, please share. I would like to educate myself.
    You people disagreeing with certain information are disagreeing with rudimentary understanding of cellular biology that comes from a basic biology or nutrition book (which is where I am getting my information). What gives? If there is other information, please share. I would like to educate myself.
    heybales wrote: »
    Someone else disagreed, not me. But you are wrong. And indeed physiology books for decades have had this process down.

Depends on what you mean by body prefers using carbs. Usually that term comes from the keto crowd that have misconception about things.

If blood sugar is high and insulin is released than what you ate, is used as energy source. Fat & carbs.
    But glucose is sent first off to the liver and if unneeded is sent off to muscle stores, if blood sugar still not going down because those are topped off (in a diet they would rarely be), then it's burned as fuel for activity then.
    In proper working body eventually it'll be converted to fat and used/stored if still too high or too long.
    There is more research on just how infrequent that actually is, because it's not efficient process.

But outside that 1-4 hrs after eating - body prefers and uses fat as main energy source (80-90% easily) unless your workouts take you into higher intensities - fat is still used, and increasing % of carbs is used also.

Look up the many people that have posted their RMR tests, or VO2max tests, online.
    You'll find reference to RER values or straight out column for fat/carb % of energy source as exercise goes up.
    Best way for you to have proved what happens.

None of this has changed since my 1980's physiology books.
    What may influence slight variations in the process have been expanded with more research, and of course diseased states totally throwing a monkey wrench in. Exercise scenarios have been improved, especially for recovery and improvements.

ETA -
    Unless keto adapted - it is your brain that is always using blood sugar - that doesn't change depending on what you ate.
    And there is usually enough liver stores to feed it for 24 hrs abouts if no other big pulls on those stores.
    Most the organs keep using fats as their mitochondria are setup for that energy source - never a shortage.

Muscles switch depending on what's needed to be used and available.
    Someone else disagreed, not me. But you are wrong. And indeed physiology books for decades have had this process down.

Depends on what you mean by body prefers using carbs. Usually that term comes from the keto crowd that have misconception about things.

If blood sugar is high and insulin is released than what you ate, is used as energy source. Fat & carbs.
    But glucose is sent first off to the liver and if unneeded is sent off to muscle stores, if blood sugar still not going down because those are topped off (in a diet they would rarely be), then it's burned as fuel for activity then.
    In proper working body eventually it'll be converted to fat and used/stored if still too high or too long.
    There is more research on just how infrequent that actually is, because it's not efficient process.

But outside that 1-4 hrs after eating - body prefers and uses fat as main energy source (80-90% easily) unless your workouts take you into higher intensities - fat is still used, and increasing % of carbs is used also.

Look up the many people that have posted their RMR tests, or VO2max tests, online.
    You'll find reference to RER values or straight out column for fat/carb % of energy source as exercise goes up.

What may influence slight variations in the process have been expanded with more research, and of course diseased states totally throwing a monkey wrench in. Exercise scenarios have been improved, especially for recovery and improvements.

ETA -
    Unless keto adapted - it is your brain that is always using blood sugar - that doesn't change depending on what you ate.
    And there is usually enough liver stores to feed it for 24 hrs abouts if no other big pulls on those stores.
    Most the organs keep using fats as their mitochondria are setup for that energy source - never a shortage.

ETA -

• I’m sorry lol. I’m trying to figure out how to reply properly in this community feature. But.. every Bio & physiology class I’ve taken, my instructors clearly state cals you eat are burned first. Then if unused.. it’s stored as fat. This is the reason why intermittent fasting works. Stop eating for awhile then your body has no choice but to burn more fat as fuel than it would if you were eating round the clock. Also this is why working out in a faster state works so well when trying to burn fat off.
  • heybales
    edited September 2020
    I’m sorry lol. I’m trying to figure out how to reply properly in this community feature. But.. every Bio & physiology class I’ve taken, my instructors clearly state cals you eat are burned first. Then if unused.. it’s stored as fat. This is the reason why intermittent fasting works. Stop eating for awhile then your body has no choice but to burn more fat as fuel than it would if you were eating round the clock. Also this is why working out in a faster state works so well when trying to burn fat off.

You can edit your post within 60 min too.

And you should keep reading some research or text books.

Look up where insulin causes glucose to go. Simple as that.
    Either your classes were simplifying things, or yes, wrong.

Which totally changes the 2 results you think comes from a process that is actually incorrect.
    (hint - I gave the answer already)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I’m sorry lol. I’m trying to figure out how to reply properly in this community feature. But.. every Bio & physiology class I’ve taken, my instructors clearly state cals you eat are burned first. Then if unused.. it’s stored as fat. This is the reason why intermittent fasting works. Stop eating for awhile then your body has no choice but to burn more fat as fuel than it would if you were eating round the clock. Also this is why working out in a faster state works so well when trying to burn fat off.

If you're in an overall deficit, your body is going to be using fat for energy whether you're eating once a day, within a limited eating window, or eating every hour on the hour. It's really personal preference, you don't have to do IF in order to burn fat.