GOLO Recipes Only

LynnJ9
LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
edited July 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
I am seeing a lot of advertisements for GOLO. When I looked into it, it seems that it is a herbal pill you take 1 to 3 times a day (Not interested in these) and they give you low carb, low calorie healthy recipes to make on your own. Has anyone tried this diet? Are the recipes worth the cost of 1 month of pills? Are the recipes easy to follow? Do they give the nutrition values of the recipes? How do they taste?

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    GOLO says you don't have to count calories but then it emphasizes portion control -- seems like the same thing to me. It emphasizes eating "whole foods" rather than processed foods so roast pork is okay but sausage isn't. If you follow all their eating rules you end up consuming between 1300 and 1800 calories a day. It says you must eat three meals a day and take their supplements. There is no research confirming that any of this makes any difference for weight loss except calorie control.

So, you can mimic the GOLO dietary recommendations by looking at a site like https://www.verywellfit.com/what-is-the-golo-diet-reviews-and-quick-facts-4150692 where they describe it. Remember, there's nothing magic about the GOLO plan and many of their claims are just so much woo.

If it works for you as a crutch (and as one who walks either with crutches or an upright walker, far be it from me to downplay the effectiveness of crutches) then it's relatively harmless, especially if you don't spend money on the supplements.
  • LynnJ9
    I have been VERY successful just counting calories here in MFP. Lost 47 pounds over 2 years ago.
    (Did gain 19 pounds back during the covid shutdown, but back to counting calories to lose it again). I am a math teacher and the numbers of CICO is right up my alley.
    But I really need some new recipes that are low calorie and lower carb. I know I can Google them, I would love a variety in one place.
    I am wondering if GOLO has a great selection of easy to make, and good recipes. Maybe it worth signing up for them.
    So I was just curious if anyone had signed up for this diet, and what they thought of the recipes.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    LynnJ9 wrote: »
    I have been VERY successful just counting calories here in MFP. Lost 47 pounds over 2 years ago.
    (Did gain 19 pounds back during the covid shutdown, but back to counting calories to lose it again). I am a math teacher and the numbers of CICO is right up my alley.
    But I really need some new recipes that are low calorie and lower carb. I know I can Google them, I would love a variety in one place.
    I am wondering if GOLO has a great selection of easy to make, and good recipes. Maybe it worth signing up for them.
    So I was just curious if anyone had signed up for this diet, and what they thought of the recipes.

In your situation, I would borrow a bunch of low carb cookbooks from my library and buy the one(s) I liked the most.

My library system had 264 results.

Speaking of libraries, mine has opened back up, yay!
  • LynnJ9
    Thanks for all the great ideas on recipe sources
  • Nbaker0909
    Nbaker0909 Posts: 102 Member
    Look on Pinterest at Optavia Lean and Green meals. It’s a weight loss program (I didn’t use it but know people that did). The lean and green meal is the one meal a day participants cook instead of eating the optavia snacks (so you can make the meals without buying anything from the program). The lean and green meals are low carb and low calorie. A lot of them look yummy and easy to make. They might be a nice change of pace from your usual rotation of dinners.