Slim fast

I've been on the slim fast diet for a few weeks now. I've lost from 145 to 138.4. The first couple weeks of it I would only have 1 shake a day. The past week I have been doing a shake for breakfast and a shake for lunch and a normal dinner trying to meet a 1200 calorie diet. Ive pushed myself these past 2 days on burning calories and have burned alot, but today I woke up feeling really tired. No energy at all. I'm wondering if anyone else has experiences this with this diet? Or if maybe I just didn't have enough calorie intake after burning so many? Is the slim fast diet worth doing and im getting all the nutrients I need or does it have bad stuff I don't need in it? I'm happy at losing the weight but I don't want to keep having this kind of energy level drop.

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    You are not eating enough. Eating too little makes you tired. Dump the Slimfast (unless you like it over other things with the same number of calories). Figure out how many calories you should be eating. Then eat a healthy, well-rounded diet. Remember, if you do exercise, your calorie needs increase. 1200 calories of a nutritious diet is the bare minimum for a small, sedentary woman.

Go to the "Getting Started" forum and read the stickies. They have everything you need to know.
  • holtcheree
    holtcheree Posts: 10 Member
    So a couple of things:

1.) 1200 calories is the bare minimum that a female should be eating. Are you really short and/or older in age?

2.) IMO only - shakes may help you short term to drop weight, but unless you are planning on drinking them or the rest of our life, you are eventually going to have to eat real food for those meals and have no clue what or how much to eat in order to maintain the weight you lost. This will lead to you putting the weight back on and then going back to the shakes to lose the weight again - round and round in circles

I will be 34 in a couple months. I am only 5'1"
  • holtcheree
    holtcheree Posts: 10 Member
    holtcheree wrote: »
    So a couple of things:

1.) 1200 calories is the bare minimum that a female should be eating. Are you really short and/or older in age?

2.) IMO only - shakes may help you short term to drop weight, but unless you are planning on drinking them or the rest of our life, you are eventually going to have to eat real food for those meals and have no clue what or how much to eat in order to maintain the weight you lost. This will lead to you putting the weight back on and then going back to the shakes to lose the weight again - round and round in circles

I am 34 years old and I am 5' 4"
    My goal is around 1400 + my exercise calories

Plug your info into MFP and see how many calories it gives you
    Make sure you choose a realistic loss per week goal

ynbevv7t9bdr.png

Thank you!!! And I had no idea that I was supposed to be eating some of those calories back. I'm still fairly new to this. Just trying to get back into a good weight level and maintain it. I have had a struggle with this. I lose then gain and lose then gain and give in. And im trying really hard to not give up and stick with new habits that are good for me this time.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    So a couple of things:

ynbevv7t9bdr.png

Thank you!!! And I had no idea that I was supposed to be eating some of those calories back. I'm still fairly new to this. Just trying to get back into a good weight level and maintain it. I have had a struggle with this. I lose then gain and lose then gain and give in. And im trying really hard to not give up and stick with new habits that are good for me this time.

Yes! Definitely eat back at least some of our exercise calories back

Just an as example - you eat 1400 calories but you burn 400 during exercise - you only fed your body 1000 calories to live on
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    So a couple of things:

ynbevv7t9bdr.png

You say you are trying to lose the weight and maintain it. How will you maintain it unless you drink the shakes for the rest of your life? A more sustainable plan is to eat real food and weigh and measure it. Then you actually form new habits that are good for you.

• age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Is a Slim Fast diet sustainable? It may help you in the short term, but does it help you in the long term. You may be better off long term to embrace a lifestyle to a healthier you.

Consider this approach:
    - make a small sustainable change eg., if you like to drink pop, then switch that out for water or sparkling water with lemon or lime in it.
    - Once you’ve adjusted to that change then make another small sustainable change eg., if you like to eat rice, switch that out for brown rice
    - Track what you eat
    - Monitor your macros
    - Monitor your metrics (weight and measurements)
    - Then adjust as needed
    - As you lose weight, your body is going to change, not only in appearance, but also in how it reacts to different foods.