Guys in their 30s and 40s

Looking for support from people in a similar situation so we can support one another. I’m 37 and in a full time career. The weight has crept up and making good choices has been tough when tired and busy etc. What do you do to keep yourselves on track? Any success stories?
Happy to add people for mutual supporting of each others’ goals 👍

Replies

• tenazhsc
    tenazhsc Posts: 70 Member
    I'm 38 bro. I'm gonna be doing a fitness challenge in August. That's how I plan to stay motivated.
    I lost 20+ so far 8+ in July. Let's be pals if you're ready to commit to the process :smile:
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Join the group Midlife Crisis Fitness
  • tonygermano2
    tonygermano2 Posts: 31 Member
    I’m 42. In a full time career with a 6 and a 4 year old and I started out at 435. I’m down to 375. Honestly it’s not simple as some people like to say. Eating healthy isn’t just “making better choices” as some like to say. At least for me I have found that it takes an incredible amount of planning and effort to eat healthy. That is to say it isn’t easy. I don’t know how much you have to lose, but for me, getting this weight under control isn’t something I can kind of do. I have to be fully committed. With or without motivation. Many days I’m not committed or motivated. Many mornings I don’t want cut up veggies and makes salads and healthy snacks for the day. But, I guess I don’t want to pay $70 for a tank of gas either. However if I want to drive my car, well that’s the cost to be the boss.
    I’m here to help in any way I can though many days I’m barely holding it together myself. However, I’m going to tell you...don’t search for motivation from yourself or others. Make a decision. What do you want, and what do you have to do to get it? Then do it.
    I don’t mean this to sound harsh. I just want to help put you in the right spot.
    Keep hanging around. I don’t post all that often. But I do read a lot. It helps.
  • I'll be 40 in a month, full time job, full time single dad to 4. Not the most fit, but I do OK.

The biggest secret is that there is no secret. Different things are going to work differently for different people. However, the one common thread among any success regardless of starting age, weight, or gender is discipline. Find something and stick to it. If the results don't come, change to something else but make sure you give it the time first. Find your groove and ride it til it's wore out. Days you don't feel like doing it, work harder.

Don't let life be an excuse. If I fall off track and put on 15, it's not because of lockdown or a breakup or work. It's because I broke discipline.
  • Lyallatron
    Lyallatron Posts: 32 Member
    Thanks for the advice. Yeah it is up to me. It’s good to hear from other people though and read about their experiences.