I’M BACK ! : LOST, RE-GAINED (50%) and LOST it - Thank goodness

Replies

• TootlesToodles
    TootlesToodles Posts: 83 Member
    Wow! You look Amazing!! Thank you for sharing your journey. It's so inspiring!
  • dsgoingtodoit
    dsgoingtodoit Posts: 803 Member
    Fantastic story...a reminder to us all that with dedication to health...goals can be reached. Congratulations! Thank you also for the reminder... NEVER stop focusing...especially not after a goal is reached. I am a long way from goal...but find your story just what I need... Best wishes
  • anwarower
    anwarower Posts: 1 Member
    You are amazing!!
  • cyaneverfat
    cyaneverfat Posts: 527 Member
    That's wonderful, congratulations! :-D
  • MDB139
    MDB139 Posts: 1 Member
    That's fantastic and so inspirational. Thanks for sharing. I'm 54 and just getting started with MFP and intermittent fasting (I need to lose 80-90 pounds). I'm trying out the 9 AM to 5 PM window. Curious: did you do it 7 days a week the same time frame or ever shift to 10 to 6 or 11 to 7? Did you keep tracking on MFP? Wondering if you kept to a certain calorie limit or if just the IF worked for you. Thanks and congratulations!!
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Thank you for sharing your inspiring story. Congrats!
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    edited September 2020
    MDB139 wrote: »
    That's fantastic and so inspirational. Thanks for sharing. I'm 54 and just getting started with MFP and intermittent fasting (I need to lose 80-90 pounds). I'm trying out the 9 AM to 5 PM window. Curious: did you do it 7 days a week the same time frame or ever shift to 10 to 6 or 11 to 7? Did you keep tracking on MFP? Wondering if you kept to a certain calorie limit or if just the IF worked for you. Thanks and congratulations!!

Thanks - I started immediately with 16/8 and it worked...some adjustment the first couple weeks but got easier. Stopped eating about 3 hrs before bed and then didn't have 1st meal until 12:30-2pm. Before IF, I'd eat bkfst but it had lots of carbs etc and I was hungry within 1-2 hrs...and yes, I watched calories. My focus was on making nutritionally dense low carb meals "that I liked". I made sure the food would be something I enjoyed and would enjoy after losing my weight. From May 2019 until now... so far so good. Good luck! These are sample meals I make - all were under 400 calories.

ou1q2u2emy6o.jpg
  • NikonPal
    Well…I hadn’t “planned” to lose as much weight as I did – so posting an updated pic from this week. I am now 165 lbs (down from 405). I do plan to regain about 10 lbs thru exercise, toning and diet. Last time I was 165 lbs was in high school a million years ago. Pants are down from 60” to 34”! I always eat until I am satiated and never starve. I walk 7 days a week and have eliminated 90% of sugar vs. what I prev consumed. ufxchbw3hddt.jpg
  • GoGoGirl1111
    GoGoGirl1111 Posts: 46 Member
    Congrats you look great. I too lost weight which was not easy with my medications etc. Then I had a bad 6 months, regained some. I am back on the IF and intend to stay there this time. I have found it's the only way for me as a life long eating plan, a change of lifestyle. And it's so easy. I think also I rushed OMAD, I started at 16.8 then was doing 18/19 fast windows. This time I will take it slower. We are all different. Best Wushes
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Nikon pal, oh my, that took a lot of discipline. So you think sugar contributed to most of your weight gain? Or was it emotional eating?
  • JudyKenova5774
    JudyKenova5774 Posts: 1 Member
    Do you aim for the 2lb a week loss? I feel like I could never reach my pre obese weight.
  • cleopold4
    cleopold4 Posts: 16 Member
    Well done...Advice please

I stopped losing weight even though I kept the same routine

Was 275 pounds, and lost 2 pounds per week for 6 weeks...then 1 pound for a couple of weeks

And then for 4 weeks I remained EXACTLY the same. Lost zero.

In the last week, I lost 2 pounds again..back to normal.... ???

In that month where I didn't lose anything, I kept the nearly exact routine...1500 calories. 30 min walk.
    extra
    I did drink more wine on a couple of occasions...maybe 2 bottles over that month...but still...my calories have always been in control.

So just asking if it's normal...Did you experience this?
    I have had a bypass, and easily gained weight after that. Maybe my motabalism isn't stable ?
    Does it happen to healthy people too?

• NikonPal
    Congrats you look great. I too lost weight which was not easy with my medications etc. Then I had a bad 6 months, regained some. I am back on the IF and intend to stay there this time. I have found it's the only way for me as a life long eating plan, a change of lifestyle. And it's so easy. I think also I rushed OMAD, I started at 16.8 then was doing 18/19 fast windows. This time I will take it slower. We are all different. Best Wushes

Thanks GoGo… My first major weight loss (2013-2015) was done thru the usual calorie cutting, exercise etc. I never did regain any of the first 100 lbs I lost, but after a period of time that 2nd 100 became an issue. I slowly stopped tracking and then… It was a case (I think) of the first time wanting to lose as much and as fast as I could…which is the wrong way…

By April 2019, I was determined not to “accept” any further weight gain and refused to buy one piece of clothing in a larger size – I had given away all my fat clothes. That meant renting a suit for some events (weddings etc.)… Obviously this was more expensive than just buying a cheap suit 3 or 4 sizes larger, but I knew doing so would likely lead to acceptance / justification.

I spent dozens of hours researching IF (Dr Fung, Dr Berg, Violet Reveira, Dr. Cywes, Dr Ken Berry & others) and adopted it as a perm lifestyle May 13, 2019… I had a wedding to attend in Feb 2020 and set that as a goal date to fit back into my old suit that had been a self-reward when I lost 200 lbs. I adopted the 16/8 schedule and haven’t changed since then. After 9-10 months (the slow way) I reached my goal. I can relate on the medications – heart meds, methotrexate for arthritis etc. have improved dramatically.

I still plan all my meals focused on satiation, high nutrient content and low carb. ABSOLUTELY cutting out 90 % of my sugar had a HUGE impact. I do not intentionally eat nor do I crave processed foods. I do not have scheduled “cheat” days. While losing weight, I made sure it was all foods I really liked (not diet food) so that I would continue eating it when I reached goal.

Everything was and remains primarily focused on insulin levels. I always loved food and it was the focus of most things…events, emotional whatever. There is a lot of information on YouTube and it does take time to sift through the good and bad. As you noted “we are all different” and it is best to find out what works best for a given individual within a certain framework.

This is getting a bit long so I will stop here… Best of luck to you!
  • NikonPal
    cleopold4 wrote: »
    Well done...Advice please

I stopped losing weight even though I kept the same routine

Was 275 pounds, and lost 2 pounds per week for 6 weeks...then 1 pound for a couple of weeks

And then for 4 weeks I remained EXACTLY the same. Lost zero.

In the last week, I lost 2 pounds again..back to normal.... ???

In that month where I didn't lose anything, I kept the nearly exact routine...1500 calories. 30 min walk.
    extra
    I did drink more wine on a couple of occasions...maybe 2 bottles over that month...but still...my calories have always been in control.

So just asking if it's normal...Did you experience this?
    I have had a bypass, and easily gained weight after that. Maybe my motabalism isn't stable ?
    Does it happen to healthy people too?

You might find a bit of useful info here (or the others I mention above) -

What Causes Weight Gain After Dieting (Mind Blowing - Health and Wellness with Violet)
    https://youtu.be/j2vXfZkVgnA

Yes, I hit plateaus a couple times. I can relate on a certain level re: various heart issues of my own, arthritis, medications etc. I can tell you I feel better now than I have at anytime in the last 10 years or more. The weight loss will never correct all my issues, but has certainly eliminated and/or reduced many. Good luck.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    @NikonPal Tell all. I'm fascinated with your success story.

I ate it all back the first time. Rebound weight gain with friends. Started over and it took me 2.5 years to undo what I did. The second time out of the chute was much harder than the first go around.

Lessons learned going forward. What are your takeaways for long term weight stability. I'm bent on finding permanent weight stability. The weight loss process takes focus and consistency but maintenance does, too. I don't do cheat meals or cheat days or cheat months. I ask myself, how much progress are you willing to give up. I cannot go through all of that again.

• NikonPal
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    @NikonPal Tell all. I'm fascinated with your success story.

I ate it all back the first time. Rebound weight gain with friends. Started over and it took me 2.5 years to undo what I did. The second time out of the chute was much harder than the first go around.

Lessons learned going forward. What are your takeaways for long term weight stability. I'm bent on finding permanent weight stability. The weight loss process takes focus and consistency but maintenance does, too. I don't do cheat meals or cheat days or cheat months. I ask myself, how much progress are you willing to give up. I cannot go through all of that again.

Seems we have adopted the same plan. Since May 13, 2019 I have never regained an ounce. I either plateaued for a bit or lost. I made sure my food decisions were things I like... nothing dietetic looking. I eat the same food now that I ate before reaching my goal.

Many people (including myself) would talk of a new lifestyle and then slowly revert to old "loves" after weight loss. NOT this time. Everything I did was different and never tried IF before...it works for me. I no longer crave many foods I thought I couldn't possibly live without. I don't tell myself I have earned this or that... I only have to think about the things I can do and enjoy now that were impossible before. I ditched the mind-set that I was "giving-up" food I once loved and appreciate the benefits of my choices. I think another key was replacing food with other things. The fact is I LOVE cooking...but now concentrate on making the best meals with high nutrition and low carb. Best of luck to you!

On a side note: Our JCP store is closing and today I picked up Levi’s on sale…. Size 33 W…. just a little smaller than my Size 60 W…kept only 1 pair of fat pants as a reminder and gave away everything else. Glad I have them. I don’t even remember being a 33 W in high school. LOL
    dibhtksazjbt.jpg
  • Diatonic12
    @NikonPal Today, I drove 100 miles to the nearest garage for truck repairs but I thought about you on the way home. Your words are meaningful for me.

I gave all my larger clothes away. I don't want a backup plan in my closets. I'm with you all the way. Once you've been down this road a couple of times, it finally sinks in. There's no going back.

Doing what we've always done will get us what we've always gotten. Report back, visit more often. We need your anchor when the storms hit.
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    What an amazing story. Congratulations. I went from 220 to 164, then back to 220 over a couple of years. Now I am back for another round. Size 33...holy cow. I would probably have to go back to junior high school for the last time I fit in pants that small. Congrats again!
  • NikonPal
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    @NikonPal Today, I drove 100 miles to the nearest garage for truck repairs but I thought about you on the way home. Your words are meaningful for me.

I gave all my larger clothes away. I don't want a backup plan in my closets. I'm with you all the way. Once you've been down this road a couple of times, it finally sinks in. There's no going back.

Doing what we've always done will get us what we've always gotten. Report back, visit more often. We need your anchor when the storms hit.

Just watched this one posted a few hours ago -- related to what we were talking about... thought it might be of interest

How to Get Back to Normal Eating After Dieting
    https://youtu.be/A4UGzPeFh_I
  • Diatonic12
    There's the thread, 'What nobody tells you about weight loss'. You should start one, What nobody tells you about Maintenance. This is your success story but you need to tell us what was going through your head as you were going through all of this the second time. I want to know.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!