WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Machka, do you have zero distance work now? Most places have at least one or some days per week distance now at least for those who want it. it was already a legal thing in france. a set of laws for allowing distance work since 2016. i'm not sure what is involved. i think it's often 2-3 days max per distance work and may depend on organism and type of work. my banking industry friend was 100% distance and then they said now they have to come in 2 days per week, but finally they are questioning if that is really necessary.

Do you have the possibility of doing 4 10h work days ?

I am 100% back to work. I can't do half and half or anything like that ... too expensive for them. They'd have to give me equipment for home and work.

So I will continue 5 days a week for now.

Tasmania has no active cases right now, but is planning to open borders to 2 states and 1 territory on August 7. We'll see what happens after that. If we end up doing a "Victoria", we'll close up again.

I do stay home Thursday mornings because I'm "attending" an online uni class/workshop then and I'm taking days off as needed to get my coursework finished. I've booked one day in August off already.

Until I finish my course, I won't try to change my work hours. They've being great about letting me attend uni all this time.

After I finish my course, I will very seriously consider having a discussion about changing things. But who knows ... maybe we'll be shut down again then.

Meanwhile it is nice only having one course to focus on this semester.

And happily, we're also planning to take a long weekend at the end of August or beginning of September. Spring break! We'll get together (in a socially distanced way) with my husband's sister to celebrate his birthday, her birthday, and his and my anniversary. :)

Machka in Oz
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    22gbtbvu469p.png

BARBIE
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited August 2020
    Morning, afternoon and evening, all...

Barbie- thank you for supplying our clean slate, our reset button, our 'put on your big girl panties and do it' haven each month.:smiley:You are our rock...

My goals for June were:
    👍Survive the continued re-opening of my state without getting cooties.
    So far so good!
    👍Stay within budget for July.
    Averaged out, we beat the weekly average I set for us. August, we will move to a month-long budget. Less pressure at the beginning of the month, less spending at the end.
    👍Be lighter going out than I am going in.
    July 1, I was at 209, July 31, I was at 208. This morning, I'm at 206. A win any way you look at it. :smiley:
    Goals for August:

🚪 Continue to survive the pandemic.
    💲 Stay within budget.
    ⚖ Be lighter going out than I am going in.

Keeping my goals away from being number-bound has helped keep me from getting too obsessed with the numbers. That said, it also was of mental assistance during this month where I didn't lose much to keep up with my measurements --my waist has dropped a total of three inches, and even my neck is an inch smaller.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    It is 3:30 AM and two pages for August already. I was determined to get a fresh and early jump on this thread and once again I am behind.

August 1 is almost over. :smiley: Another couple hours and we'll be moving into August 2!

Machka in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    😘
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,046 Member
    ❤️🐇🐇❤️
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 2,959 Member
    Happy August! Thanks Barbie!

My Dad's birthday lunch is today. He is 86. An actual social gathering with six people! We have all been isolating so it should be pretty safe.

Annie in Delaware
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,310 Member
    Made yogurt in the IP and when it was done, it wasn’t yogurt but still milk. Maybe I needed more starter? So I put more in and put the IP on again. Yup, that must have been it. I just got up and am now draining it.

Tami – hey there. You made the right decision in coming here. Stop in often and get lots of good ideas

Pip – I remember once FIL said “now that I’m retired, I don’t know where I found the time to work” At the time I thought “yea, sure”. Now I know what he meant! You and Kirby are embarking on a wonderful journey.

Made a gazpacho that I’ll have for breakfast. Not sure how I feel about it. Does anyone have any good recipes? Preferably one that you put in a blender. And not high in calories (maybe somewhere around 100). I’d like it to make about 6 or less servings since I’m the only one who will eat it.

Windows had an update which broke Outlook. Now I read my email on Google Chrome. Will probably go to another. Thank goodness for Vince.

Anne DE – we use Revolution for our cats and get it from this place called Zoetis. They are an Australian company. But get this – it’s made in the US. But it’s much cheaper

Saturday here (forgot to post): Did Rodney Yee’s Yoga Cross Train DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do some balance games on the Wii

Heather – I hear ya about the updates. My computer did an update and now my email is totally messed up. Vince is going to get another one and set me up with that. He had the same problem so he’s getting to know this email

I agree you should have less sugar but I don’t know about the carbs. Less refined carbs – yes. But the carbs from fruits and veges? I don’t know. That’s something I don’t want to cut out

Fried up the salmon cakes I put in the refrig yesterday so we can have them later in the week. Also took the extra marinade out of the chicken that Vince is going to bbq so that the chicken doesn’t get too marinated. Going to make meringues later. They’re my new thing. I was on the spinach feta kick for a while, now I’m off it and the meringue is the new kick. Oh, that’s right, I need to make a pudding pie for Vince. Will do that once I finish checking in here.

Also got two towel toppers ready to just crochet. Will go to the farmer’s market and then the Salvation Army. Hopefully, they’ll have some different yarns that I can use. Many people do a craft and then have something like ½ a skein left over so they donate that. I can use that. Then I give the parts I have over to this guy who makes hats for the soup kitchen to use for pompoms or whatever.

Smbqt – welcome! And happy birthday early

M – I’m with you. I keep a calendar on the computer so Vince knows if I have something to do so he can plan an appt. or whatever accordingly. But I have a little planner where I write down the foods we’re going to eat the following week and what exercise I plan to do.

Bananas – have fun next week!

Invited Ken and Lynette for dinner tomorrow. Surprisingly, Lynette never got back to me. She usually is quite quick to accept. Anyway, I called Ken (since he’s out of work he’s home and pretty lonely) and he said they were planning to come. So they’ll be here tomorrow. I know Ken wanted to see Jess last time they were here. I told him that she’s working but he’ll see her when she gets home.

Faye
    – how frustrating. Hope they get you in for those tests real soon

Off to farmer’s market and then Salvation Army

Michele NC
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited August 2020
    pyarufvdd6kk.jpg

Faye -- gray hair never in a bun
    Jill of all Trades mistress to none
  • Faetta
    edited August 2020
    Barbie Thanks for being the catalyst keeping the fires of this thread burning. I am envious that you can walk early and need a jacket. Those mornings are usually starting around this time here, but next 10 days morning lows in the 70's. Crazy year. I love my Lole light nylon jacket.

Faye now gray
    OR/WA Gorge Girl
    hdlbu2baru34.jpg

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited August 2020
    Heather: You are right about people overestimating their will power. My mom always referred to her “won’t power.” Won’t power kept her weight down, and her checkbook full. :wink:

Bananas: I am not a fan of ATMs either. I’ve read too many news accounts of people being robbed at ATMs. :ohwell:

Machka: In our state, we look at Covid cases county by county. Ours is one of the safest places in OR. The most challenged places are from Portland to Salem on both sides of the I-5 freeway. My SIL lives across the state near the Idaho border. The primary business there is agriculture. There have been Covid cases among the migrant workers who work in agricultural jobs, and some cases attributed to citizens of Idaho who are infected, and don’t know yet, who drive to Oregon to shop because we don’t have a sales tax & MJ is legal here. According to my cousin who also lives there, those shoppers rarely/never have masks. :ohwell:

Faye: Our doctors are doing business mostly by phone/internet. They don’t want patients in their workplace. I can’t blame them. :noway: I love your signature—”Faye--gray hair never in a bun
    Jill of all trades mistress to none.” :bigsmile:

Pip: The countdown is moving along. You’ll be off on your adventure in no time. :star:

Lisa: Surge protectors are worth their weight in gold. I hope your TV is still usable. We don’t have a lightning rod of any kind. Our TV is connected via satellite dish and the antenna is mostly plastic. It is well below the peak of our roof. We live outside the reach of Portland over the air channels. Most people out here seem to have cable or satellite TV. We have had interruptions of electricity service on very rare occasions. I can’t remember the last one. Most wiring is underground. My horse friend lives out in the country at a higher altitude. She has had power interruptions now and then. I don't know for sure whether she has a TV, but I'm guessing she does. :flowerforyou:

We’re having a quiet morning so far. The dog is doing well and so are we. :heart:

Katla in Beauftiful NW Oregon

• Faetta
    edited August 2020
    Tracey Yes, disrespectful people are everywhere, and one reason I no longer go to the seniors center or host a women's fitness group. I remember the days when a group could have a fun potluck, but no more. A few do all the work and make good food and others bring unhealthy food from the store.

Katla Ice cream is my weakness, especially chocolate espresso from Umpqua.

Faye in the Northwest USA
    Gray hair never in a bun
    Jill of all Trades mistress to none