WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,311 Member
    I found an exercise DVD that I didn’t own at the Salvation Army!!

Came home and made meringues. They can be in the oven while I’m out at the pool. When I come in I’ll make the pudding pie

Faye – that’s the way Newcomers was going with their pot lucks. I was someone who would make something from scratch, trying to put healthy ingredients in it. Then so many people would just stop at the store and bring junk. The thing is that most people liked the junk more than the decent food. Well, I got to bring a fair amount home so that worked

I LOVE Healthy Choice Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream. Unfortunately, by the time I get done, it’s no longer a Healthy Choice. Guess it’s good that Vince doesn’t like mint chocolate chip.

Michele NC
    Who is off to the pool now
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Allie ~ I had wondered about the phosphates and your kidney disease. From what I read about phosphates online, it seems they would not be a good choice for you.

We have a lot of premium tv channels and 1000's of movies; yet, I can't find a single movie that I want to watch. I will be glad when our cable contract is over so maybe we can do better.

Carol in GA
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited August 2020
    @kymarai thanks for explaining about the shop.

@Machka9 it's nice that they give you the thurs morning off and time to go to school

@viv congratulations on the WL

@Michele thank you!

@Katla49 I actually have 2 friends who were actually held up in Central Paris in nice neighborhoods. One a loong time ago, nearly 20 years ago, she was withdrawing money from an ATM during a busy market in a busy area and time of day and a guy on drugs she thought came and told her to withdraw more money. She had withdrawn about 50 and he wanted her to take out 4x that. i don't remember what happened exactly but somehow someone came and she didn't but she was scared. and then about 6 years ago another close friend the same was being held up while taking out money in the daytime in a nice area. i've never had any issue but i avoid late at night, remote areas, if a couple of guys seem to be possibly hanging around idle near, or something like that. Today i deposited a check in the inside ATM while the bank was open.

@ginnytez your windows sound great!
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,464 Member
    edited August 2020
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: T’ai Chi, coffee with Barb, Post Office, Farmers’ Market, recycling, got 3 estimates, met with new insurance agent, Grocery Outlet, line dance at the port, Freddie’s,
    Bonus: port stroll with Barb, dinner out with Carol and Tracie, read “Breakfast at Sally’s”
    Get to do: Gold Beach, pooches to trial run, clean something, get out there and walk, email SDAO re meeting change notice requirements, practice new dances (Turning Tables, Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); transplant bean, make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments. Monday firehall apologize to Aaron, follow up on bay doors and site lilghting
    Jumpback July
    31 Remember we all struggle sometimes. Likely that what was what was going on with both Joe and me yesterday.

Thank you ever so much Barbie for keeping this thread going!

Oh Margaret, :heartbreak::cry: :brokenheart: Hope you can one day be consoled a little by knowing he is now free of pain, you were a tiger in his defense and by Drew’s loving presence. Our shoulders are here for you.

@sarahkatzenelson452 for me, 2 hrs cooking/food prep=258C, 2 hrs dishwashing=284 but pip and others will tell you that an HRM gives much more accurate measurements.
    Belated welcome @Selftami Mamaw, @smbqt2.
    Machka fuzzy slippers, cozy fireside tea and a nap, just what the Dr. ordered.
    Sara in the UK oh no, not bring out the cakes?!?
    Faye “tequila assisted living” :laugh: So frustrating to have your caregivers postpone needed appointments. :rage:
    Michele what yoghurt starter do you use? Want to try making goat’s milk yoghurt soon. Found a DVD you didn’t already own? Are you SURE??? :laugh:
    Yvonne hadn’t thought of the word “filk” in decades, brought back pleasant memories of late night filksinging at SF conventions. “Our streaming radio station” You have a radio station?
    Heather slightly creeped out by those darling girls’ disembodied heads surrounded by gravel. Thanks for replacing those mental images with whole body happy action pics. Envy you the Edie hug.
    Tina “I've since figured out how to stop that drip and it's a wonderful thing.” Please share the magic! I have neither a, nor “the” virus, nor allergies, but whenever I start walking briskly, my nose starts dripping just as briskly.
    Pip oh that puppy pic of Yogi! How could you ever tell him “No!”???
    Rebecca thanks for the glitter meme, shared it with my artistic/crafty pals. :love: your painted rock signs and stiletto planters.
    Kay “[ingredients]… she couldn’t pronounce. Bless whoever gets her as their health coach." ROTFLMAO. I agree with Beth that “processed” is over used as a prohibition. Refrigerating, washing, paring, cutting and cooking are all processing. But OH those chemically enhanced additives. If I can’t say it, I doubt my system can put it to good use.
    Katla Which flavor was your single serving ice cream ;) ?
    Julie “it's not really helpful when people say ‘just do it’ “ I agree, and doesn’t help even when I say that to myself. What does help me is seeing myself in a mirror at line dancing and T’ai Chi. Maybe I should put something reflective on the pantry door. :devil:
    Viv “…lottery day for Mum” ? understand the words individually but not the phrase.
    Carol are belated best birthday wishes due you? Had it it my mind yesterday was the day, but have no clue why I thought that.
    Lisa SMH at the fence guys. They could be from Curry County, Oregon.
    Tracey :lol: there is a market for your plant stakes here. I’d buy!
    @megblair you are in my thoughts, hope all’s well with you and yours.

Note to self: Better not to shop when annoyed with hubs, came home with a bagful of “revenge” sports bras, but it didn’t make me any happier.

July Summary and August Plan
    July31: 143.8 vs June30 144.5 tiny improvement :halo: but still 1.6 lbs above “ticker” weight, and blown away by this morning’s 2+ lb gain :rage:
    daily: steps= 52%/57%, vits= 89%/98% log=100%/100% CI<CO= 84%/83% CI<250<CO= 68%45% Tumble 5/10= 65%/27% mfp=100%/100% AF= 57%/55% outside= 65%/43%, up hill=58%/37% cleaning 81%/127%
    wkly: BBBorTC x3= 79%/62%, dance x2=100%/78% walk with Joe and the dogs instead of pack walk x2=38%/13%, rx=100%/100% review progress on 20 for 20: bupkes/. monthly: board mtg=100%/100% grant= nagged guys into getting estimates for garage repair, order PPE and site lighting.

August resolve-better than July. Same as June except changing cleaning from 10 mins daily to half hour weekly, spend more time with Joe and the dogs, make walking up hill a daily must.
    Daily: log, weigh, vits, CI<CO, walk up hill, check in mfp, CI <250 CO, 5 mins training or grooming Tumble or Shadow. Weekly cleaning x half hour, TC or BB&B x 3, dance x 2, Rx and review 20 for 20.
    Monthly: board and council meetings, grant progress.

Fog was so thick this morning on the beach, it condensed into droplets of “mist”. Sun is trying to peep through, time to get up and do something.

Happy August everyone!

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    August: better than July on the important ones, especially spend more time with Joe and the dogs.
    daily: steps>5491=Thurs:5474, Fri:4238 vits=27.5 log=31 CI<CO=26 CI<250<CO=21 Tumble & Shadow 5=20 mfp=22 clean 10 mins=25 outside=20 up hill=18
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3=11 rx=4 dance=9
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=2 20for20=bupkes
    bonus: AF=15.75 play=goose egg sew=nada
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    totally knackered today. i did very little! i had to go to rental place while the fix it guy changed the burners. they were 10 years old and one HAD to be changed and he suggested changing both at the same time. he explained that they need a special cleaning product (who knew ?) that is hard to find since made of cast iron. (usual old fashioned electric burner material like for a hot plate). somehow after that i was wiped. i went to get a new electronic photo and signature for license renewal, picked up some low cal things for treats (bubbly water, raw sauercraut, coucous veggies, lentil curls, and spicy corn cakes (like tiny rice cakes), and raspberries and watermelon. laundry. and shopped online at ikea. all is reasonably priced except the sofa bed which i really need to try out first.
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Young people, Stupid Leaders & China originated Sars2/Coronavirus So I went over early to get a few groceries. I had a few items and took a place in line behind a nice young lady dressed in workout clothes. We had a nice chat about the gym being closed even though NOT ONE case of the virus has been traced there. How the owners on the verge of bankruptcy had done an amazing job to keep it clean and safe with all members doing their part. It was closed after the police warned the owners and put a yellow crime scene tape over the doors. This is the gym the police and firefighters use daily. Our governor is making everyone pay because she won't put any pressure on the corporate farms and the labor bosses that profit from migrant workers. They are considered essential! Even today after back to baseline rules are proclaimed as law, in a town east of here a friend took photos of the vans sardine full of unmasked workers. With a porta potty in tow. A paradise for the virus. The farms and labor companies should be responsible for furnishing adequate safe housing and necessary medical supplies. They blame the community for being racist and not providing housing and transportation that allows social distancing. Glad I am a bit west of the hottest spot, but it is on the increase here and I think this fall will be a disaster. Such unnecessary insanity! There were very few cases and no deaths around here and to the east until the migrant workers were bussed in last spring. Now it is spreading like wildfire and many small businesses are finished for good.

Ok back to my story. Well, a young man gets in line behind me and after a bit grows inpatient and gets out of line and finds a new line opening. He comes over and tells the young lady (he had just met) that he had a spot for her. She follows him over and he says, "You go ahead of me,'Ladies first." I stand a bit miffed before finally going over to that line. I just stood there That jerk totally ignored me. They both had a basket full of items and I had a few. Whatever happened to old ladies first especially in a time when the older is the most vulnerable.

Faye
    Still deep breathing on the
    outskirts of Covid hell!!!!!!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Faye: You’re still breathing, and I’m betting you don’t look, or act, like an old lady. There are rude people. Here’s hoping kharma bites them back for their selfish behavior. >:)o:)
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,311 Member
    Barbara – for the yogurt started, I used Great Value brand plain yogurt. Now the first batch that I used it in had no problem whatsoever with. It was the second batch. But putting more in did the trick. Actually, I thought I needed two batches for the pops, but it seems I only needed one. Well, no big deal, I’ll just eat the rest. Maybe I’ll put some frozen blueberries in it. When they thaw, they make a sort-of juice that flavors the rest of the yogurt. I keep a spreadsheet on my phone so that’s why I know that I don’t have this DVD. They had another one that I thought I had and, sure enough, when I looked on the spreadsheet I owned it already.

Faye
    – I didn’t quite follow you. When you say “back to baseline rules” what exactly does that mean? Are gyms open? Honestly, if it were totally up to me (and I know it’s not) I would have no problem going back to lockdown except I think gyms should be open. I know, there are businesses who lost a lot of money the first time. I’d like us to get a handle on this. I think gyms should be open because the first time there was a lockdown we had a lot of rioting and looting. To me, some of this was because people just had a lot pent up and needed to get that aggression out. If the gyms were open, maybe they’d be able to get their aggression out there.

Made the pudding pie. I usually used the cook & serve type, but I only had instant. Hope it turns out just as well. We shall see…..

Interesting article on MFP about carbs. How timely it came today:

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#category/promotions/FMfcgxwJXCKXnbjlRswgwQgxHppmcTlX

Michele NC
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 929 Member
    auntiebk wrote: »

Tina “I've since figured out how to stop that drip and it's a wonderful thing.” Please share the magic! I have neither a, nor “the” virus, nor allergies, but whenever I start walking briskly, my nose starts dripping just as briskly.

I use 180mg tablets of Allegra (fexofenadine) before bed and no morning drip. I don't know if it would keep it from dripping on a brisk walk, but maybe you can try a lower dosage tablet and see. I tend to need the max dosage of whatever it is for anything to work, if it works at all.

I used to use diphenhydramine (Benadryl) for that (50mg) and it stopped the drip too, BUT studies show it's not good to take diphenhydramine on a regular, long term basis. Others also get drowsy on that, but it doesn't affect me that way at all. That's also why I cannot use it as a sleep aid. For reference, Benadryl tablets are 10mg.

Tina in CA
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,724 Member
    Faye ... You have to wear your gray hair in a bun to be treated like an old, vulnerable lady ... just sayin'
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,755 Member
    B)B)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,128 Member
    Katla - How right you are! >:)<3

Love Heather UK xxxxxx