Discouraged... Tired

In July 2019 I joined Weight Watchers. With that program and working out, I lost about 16 lbs. The diet was low fat, low carb and for some reason it just clicked.... I’ve kept off about 13 lbs that I lost (yea!). I would like to lose 15-20 more. My husband likes the keto diet (HIGH fat, low carb), and it’s completely messing me up. Gyms are closed. I’m honestly not interested in going back to WW, but keto is not working for me. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Weigh and measure your food. Enter it into MFP. Eat the appropriate number of calories (in a deficit) and you will lose weight. You’re over complicating it. CICO, that’s all.

And for people like me, I need the exercise to STAY in a deficit, so I do NOT eat all of my exercise calories back.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,013 Member
    Give a team approach a try! There is a lot of power in working together with the same people week after week - encouraging each other, getting through the times when you would give up if they weren't there, becoming more and more committed and accountable. And having fun!

Have a look at the Fat2Fit group - it is a challenge and support group with six teams. Yes, there is competition to see who loses the most, but there are lots of other elements that help every team member who gets in there and makes it work. Take a look! If you want to give it a try, sign up for August, and hopefully you'll like it so much you'll stay.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/114605-fat-2-fit-weight-loss-challenge-and-support-group

The sign-up thread is https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10804912/registration-for-new-members-august-2020#latest
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    If WW worked for you and you liked it, can you do the program using your old materials without attending meetings?

Or you can just follow your own low(er) fat/carb meal plan and count calories...
  • LucyBzz
    LucyBzz Posts: 47 Member
    dont be discouraged - you've done great so far & you can do it again! Find what works for you & go with it. If you want WW style, use the things you learnt there to keep going. I am sure you can find meals that you can adapt for both you & your husband too - same basic foods (eg chicken & veggies) that you both tweak to suit your preferred style
  • michelle_v_nc
    michelle_v_nc Posts: 4 Member
    This video has inspired me! https://youtu.be/SHN-4ve81TY
    Also, I love the podcast "Cut the Fat."
  • michelle_v_nc
    michelle_v_nc Posts: 4 Member
    I know a calorie deficit is how to lose weight, but I honestly feel better and am motivated to eat healthier when I exercise.
  • aliensrnear
    aliensrnear Posts: 1 Member
    Don't give up! You're doing great.
  • lillyy23
    lillyy23 Posts: 136 Member
    edited August 2020
    if WW works then you should stick with that. honestly ive tried so many things.... except keto bc i just feel like too much fat isnt like great for health imo. I am restarting my weight loss journey. I think, like what im doing is ... like now i have some understanding of calories in vs calories out right. so what worked for me before was sticking to clean eating and eating a meal plan like i stick to foods that are clean... rice, chicken, veggies, fish potatoes salad you know... and sometimes soups.. i really enjoy that.. so now that i understand calories. i am gonna try to put it on myfitnesspal and make sure its enough food.. and just eat the same foods.. i dont mind eating a plan its easier then tracking all the time... usually when i eat the same foods im successful... like i just write down my meals that im gonna eat for the next week or 2 weeks.. i can eat the same foods for like a month honestly. lol i am just tring to make sure i hit my protein goal because sometimes i feel hungry on a deficit.
  • Carrierm82
    Carrierm82 Posts: 11 Member
    I’m also having some problems with the diet part I’ve been exercising and it’s been working but I just started doing high protein and cutting back on my fat and carbs. So a lot of protein shakes. I really like this because as I put in my food it will remind me that the food I want is high in fat and so I’m more likely to pick some else. I don’t know if this is that helpful but it’s working so I going with it.
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    To the OP: finding what keeps you feeling full yet still allows you to maintain a deficit is going to be most helpful to start out. For me, for example, I found that eating protein for my first meal really helped me avoid the blood sugar ups and downs that caused excess hunger. It might be different for you. You definitely don't need a gym to exercise and I've found that MFP helps me stay focused on keeping with my plan, because of the community support.

So a combination of keeping a smallish deficit and moving more at the same time will help you start losing weight. I have found that logging helps me be much more aware of my portion sizes and just doing that has helped me lose also. Little changes add up together. Maybe you will start by increasing protein, cutting out sugar, and watching yoga videos on YouTube. Or maybe you'll decide to take walks around the block and switch to flavored teas instead of coffee with cream. Or you might try bodyweight exercises and having a salad for dinner.

It takes time and experimentation but you'll find your path. I hope my suggestions have given you some ideas. If anyone wants to friend me I'm happy to be of support.
  • hannahspelman5260
    hannahspelman5260 Posts: 0 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    In July 2019 I joined Weight Watchers. With that program and working out, I lost about 16 lbs. The diet was low fat, low carb and for some reason it just clicked.... I’ve kept off about 13 lbs that I lost (yea!). I would like to lose 15-20 more. My husband likes the keto diet (HIGH fat, low carb), and it’s completely messing me up. Gyms are closed. I’m honestly not interested in going back to WW, but keto is not working for me. Any suggestions?

I think you may be hung up on the idea that you need to be doing a formal diet program to continue. That is absolutely the wrong idea. If you use a formal diet the idea is to set off on a path that you can sustain. It is not required for weight loss but some people feel more comfortable going that route.

So what did you learn from WW that you can use on your own now? You can certainly do calorie counting with an emphasis on high protein.

You have also learned that keto is not your easiest path forward. That is also useful information. I understand that it might be difficult to have you and your spouse eating different food but that is likely your reality for now. Also, just because he likes keto now doesn't mean it is his easiest path forward either. People often jump the gun on these things. I am not sure how long he has been doing it but there is a big difference between 6 weeks of something and 6 months.
    NovusDies wrote: »

I think you may be hung up on the idea that you need to be doing a formal diet program to continue. That is absolutely the wrong idea. If you use a formal diet the idea is to set off on a path that you can sustain. It is not required for weight loss but some people feel more comfortable going that route.

So what did you learn from WW that you can use on your own now? You can certainly do calorie counting with an emphasis on high protein.

You have also learned that keto is not your easiest path forward. That is also useful information. I understand that it might be difficult to have you and your spouse eating different food but that is likely your reality for now. Also, just because he likes keto now doesn't mean it is his easiest path forward either. People often jump the gun on these things. I am not sure how long he has been doing it but there is a big difference between 6 weeks of something and 6 months.