What's on your mind?

Replies

• KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Currently: A sex (ish) dream I had involving a former friend. I don't know why my brain can't conjure up someone I'd actually want to see in my dreams.. or why I can't have normal dreams. They're always weird, twisted or nightmarish. :(
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,855 Member
    edited August 2020
    Sweet Caroline makes my ears throw up.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member

Sounds like an alien movie in the making.
  • ChelsOlivia88
    ChelsOlivia88 Posts: 9 Member
    How I’m going to shift this timber 🙄
  • Miss_Chiev0us
    Miss_Chiev0us Posts: 1,592 Member
    How I’m going to shift this timber 🙄

You got alot of wood?
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    ghudson92 wrote: »
    jcrav77 wrote: »
    Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence”
    ~Aristotle

I feel like the term happiness today has become very skewed. I think it’s more of an illusion or a delusion. Your happiness never meets up with anyone else’s and therefore for them to be happy you have to be miserable. There is an illusion that you are happy because you give up on what you find happy In order to keep peace. But it’s not really happiness it’s just an existence.

May I contribute to your reflections on happiness, in the only way I know how - which is longwinded and potentially alienating to my audience:

Aristotle's concept of happiness was based around taking action (that's a very reductionist and simplistic representation by me of his work - Nichomachean Ethics). His overall message was that in order to lead a "good" life one must take virtuous action towards goals that are of importance to the self and society.

Interestingly, much contemporary and emerging research, particularly those concerned with stress/trauma etc, points towards "taking action" (again, a simplistic reduction).

I dont believe happiness centres around attachment to others but in the actions we take and the intention of those actions (oh Aristotlean virtue-ethics there you are). Its the link between intent, purpose, and action and the overall result.

This has been my Ted Talk today. Signed - bored phd student on a tangent.

Happiness is a serious problem.
  • mynameisnobody1990
    mynameisnobody1990 Posts: 71 Member
    A friend who I've known 3/4 of my life's father passed away last week. We normally speak /see each other every week /on the very regular lately. He was never supportive of her life choices, and they had a rather acrimonious relationship. With the assistance at a care home he was in ,both she and her sibling helped take care of him to the very end. Normally she is very open and reaches out to me but now she is rather distant. She was not around when my mom passed away but that's ok. I texted her as I don't want to be a pain in the *kitten* calling her . I did say I love you and I'm here for you.* we say that to each other :) Our contact has been very minimal - and I feel sad and helpless.. is there anything I can do other than just let her be? I feel like I've done all I can... :s
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    A friend who I've known 3/4 of my life's father passed away last week. We normally speak /see each other every week /on the very regular lately. He was never supportive of her life choices, and they had a rather acrimonious relationship. With the assistance at a care home he was in ,both she and her sibling helped take care of him to the very end. Normally she is very open and reaches out to me but now she is rather distant. She was not around when my mom passed away but that's ok. I texted her as I don't want to be a pain in the *kitten* calling her . I did say I love you and I'm here for you.* we say that to each other :) Our contact has been very minimal - and I feel sad and helpless.. is there anything I can do other than just let her be? I feel like I've done all I can... :s

times like that i figure all you can do is tell them "hey I'm here and I'll never forget you"

but sometimes somethings just have to run their course
  • mynameisnobody1990
    iMago wrote: »

times like that i figure all you can do is tell them "hey I'm here and I'll never forget you"

but sometimes somethings just have to run their course

Thank you - I appreciate your kind words
  • mynameisnobody1990

WHAT is with the phone moving ON THE FLOOR!!
  • iMago

either a poltergeist or a meth junkie living in that house
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member

You know it's weird... I've always wondered why two of England's best fighters, Hatton and Fury, always came out to sweet Caroline...

I thought it was kinda an important song for the British but never understood why...
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    So I just finally finished the 50 shades series since my boy is at the grandparents and the wife and I could finally watch it...

It was Meh ehh, Umm... Well I guess it wasn't supposed to be good 🤷🏽‍♂️...

I guess it was a cute movie... Everything it had going for it kinda just disappeared in the 2nd act and the ending fell totally flat...

• mynameisnobody1990

either way nothing good will come of it >:)
  • iMago

either way nothing good will come of it >:)

uOO5Btr.gif