Mask and working out

just wondered if anyone is working out back at the gym and wearing a mask at the same time and wondered how it felt?

Replies

• deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Wear mask 100% while lifting...have done heavy bench and deadlifts while wearing mask. It took a little bit of time to get used to it (felt a bit awkward and stiffling at first), but I haven't passed out.

I'm doing almost all cardio at home, b/c cardio is generally more taxing for me, and I'm limiting gym time to what I can't do at home or outside. I've only used the gym bike for low intensity cool down while waiting for the hubs to go finish lifting...mask while biking is less comfortable.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Hell no! I luckily, have a sweet home gym setup in the basement. I have a hard enough time wearing a mask at work, never mind while working out. That alone might drive a bunch more gyms under.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    I’ve been back for a month now. I’ve had to slow down my pace and break up my cardio on the treadmill. It’s definitely challenging trying to run with the mask on. Lifting is fine with a mask. It’s not as bothersome. Both take a few sessions to adjust to. I find that a cloth mask is easier to breath with vs the disposal surgical mask. It’s pretty empty tho. There never is more than 10-15 people in the entire place.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    I do weight cycle with mask on. Also cardio walking with mask on. Yes, it's stuffy and hotter but once you get used to it you don't notice.
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    I wear my mask while running. No issues whatsoever.
  • terrmadden
    terrmadden Posts: 13 Member
    I wear a mask all day at work (hospital laboratory). Tonight is the first night I wore my mask at yoga, mainly bc there were 6 people there, and I felt like I should wear it. When she first reopened the studio a month or so ago, the class size was only 2-3. I don’t know if I’ll keep going if it’s 6 people. Definitely won’t go if it’s more, it’s just not big enough.
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    I wear mine at the gym. I have to slow down slightly but no issues. Well occasionally my glasses fog up but that's pretty minor. I don't do much cardio at the gym though, I save that for outside or home where I don't need a mask.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    I have one of these and I’m not sure what voodoo they did, but it barely affects breathing and I feel no air in front of the mask when I breathe out (so presumably it’s still helping prevent me from breathing my cooties on other people). I notice there is cloth in front of my face but I can otherwise breathe very easily.

Pricey but absolutely worth it if you are required to wear one when you also need to breathe well.

https://www.zensah.com/products/performance-face-mask?variant=31641853067353
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Not quite sure I understand why but we don’t have to where masks in the gym, only in the shops
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I wear a mask at the gym when I can't social distance. Which is never. I wear it to enter as per the requirements and am allowed to remove it when able to socially distance, which is almost right away. A distance of 12' while exercising is easily achievable (which is what our directive requires), most times it is greater than 20'.

Most times I visit, there are 0-5 other people in the gym. It's a large gym. I used to go in the afternoon and the most I saw was 12 people at one time. I go in the morning now, I prefer to go when it's less busy.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    watts6151 wrote: »
    Not quite sure I understand why but we don’t have to where masks in the gym, only in the shops

Why? Because whoever made that rule doesn't understand how this virus is transmitted.

And how exactly is it spread ?
    The experts, government advisers and university researchers in the uk cannot agree, can you please enlighten me
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    My gym only reopened on Monday.
    Put on a mask and kept it on through signing in and first 20mins of my (weights) workout.
    Then took it off as I wanted a drink and was satisfied the distancing measures implemented and the few people in the gym were adequate to ensure appropriate distancing.
    Also handling masks increases the risk of contact spread - it's shocking the number of people who wear masks but constantly fiddle with them.
  • jonathonmscott
    jonathonmscott Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks everyone for the help and insight. The gymnis open and you are asked to wear one in theain areas but not on the gym floor which seems really stupid to me. I'll be wearing one when I return. Still gonna wait another week or so as I'm doing OK at home for now. Just missing out on a few pulling sessions and the hamstring. 👍👍
  • MohsenSALAH
    MohsenSALAH Posts: 182 Member
    watts6151 wrote: »

Agreed one that.
    I take deep breaths between reps cant do that while mask one.

If you want to wear mask you can between your sets and when you move around the gym