Women 200lb+, Let's Be Extra Awesome This August!!!

Replies

• I've tried it.... stirfry makings can be bagged in a ziploc in the cooler and just dump into the pan. It makes it very quick.

And I frequently get an entire pork loin and cut it up myself; so many loin chops, so many large chunks (General Tso's) so many thin slices (ginger pork) and so much to roast whole for roast pork. But I do a five-week menu plan so I can do that.
  • MuttiNM
    MuttiNM Posts: 240 Member
    @mmdeveau I completely agree with you. I do not consider my modifications to my diet and exercise routines a "diet". I'm making permanent changes to how I live my life. I only included the word "diet" in my question about a diet/deficit break since "diet break" seems to be the commonly used term. I never anticipated taking a break from eating at a deficit until I started feeling really hungry and tired a few weeks ago. Mentally, I haven't felt the need to take a break from eating at a deficit. A while back, I did read the thread that @eliezalot mentioned. Maybe it's time to read it again. If I do take a deficit break, the only thing I would change is the number of calories I eat each day. My exercise, eating patterns, logging food, etc., would not change. That's the same thing I anticipate if (when!) I reach my yet-to-be-determined goal weight...no changes other than number of calories. But changes in the number of calories has been happening all along this journey. When I redo the guided setup after every 10 pounds or so, my calorie goal is decreased by about 50 calories so I guess I should be used to a changing calorie goal. :)

For those of you at or near goal your goal weight, if you did NOT take a deficit break, how long were you/have you been in a deficit without a break? I had never heard of the concept of a deficit break until I joined MFP. I just assumed I would stay at a deficit until my goal weight was reached. The hunger and fatigue has passed after just continuing on with my routine through those few bad weeks. I guess I'm still debating the purported benefits of a deficit break versus continuing on with a routine that has worked for 15 months so far. I know in my head that increasing the number of calories I eat during a deficit break should really change nothing. I guess I'm just worried that more calories will lead me to eat less nutritious food more often than I currently do. Maybe proving to myself that that won't happen is reason enough to try a deficit break. :)

Sorry for all the rambling. I guess I'm just trying to sort out my thoughts. Thanks again to all who have responded to my questions!
  • BrownSugar174
    BrownSugar174 Posts: 311 Member
    edited August 2020
  • MuttiNM
    MuttiNM Posts: 240 Member
    @speyerj Thanks so much for your reply! It was very helpful. And how cool that he answered your question!

I'm not exercising as much as you are but I did drop my deficit from 1000 a day to around 750 a day a little over 2 months ago. And last week I decreased it just a hair more to around 650 a day. When my daily calorie goal became about 1250 or so, it just seemed harder to stick to, so I decided to decrease my deficit. Slower and sustainable is better than faster and miserable!

Anyway, like I said, the hunger and fatigue of a few weeks ago has seemed to pass. I'll monitor things for a few more weeks and see if a deficit break makes sense for me in September or October or not. Good to know I should be okay going through to maintenance without a break if that's what I determine is right for me. I still have a long way to go, so even if I don't do a break soon, there's a chance I'll do one before I hit maintenance. Thanks again!
  • bluffgirl67
    bluffgirl67 Posts: 158 Member
    @nebslp Thanks for the idea. I'm going to roll with and go from here. It's just a number and nowhere near as important as the one on my scales. One of those nagging reminders like my pants are tighter with being back over 200lbs again.

@speyerj Happy Anniversary! The stress your hubby and all teachers must feel has to be difficult. I know they all want what is best for their students but I worry about the risks of in person after seeing situations like that camp in Georgia.

@MuttiNM During your break use maintenance range. If you want to log do so and if not at least sign in (but don't be like me and lose the streak lol). Taking the time to sign really helped even if I did gain some back. I think if I had stopped signing in the gain would have been more. Do what will help you both mentally and physically at this point in time.

Yesterday I only did 10m on the elliptical. I wasn't able to exercise early in the day which I prefer and by the afternoon my knees were shot. Ever little bit helps though. Today I was able to hop on in the morning and got 20m done without too much effort. Seeing as it has been a few months I was very happy to still be able to get that much in. Weights will probably be another story though. I plan on trying my 5lbs but may have drop back down.

Hope your day has been a good one :)

• cosafe1
    cosafe1 Posts: 27 Member
    I did not walk today but this is what I'm doing this evening:
    1) Stand up desk
    2) Foot Peddler
    3) Drinking water
    4) Tracking my food
    I slept all day because I work nights and I spend work sitting and talking on video chats so get little exercise. Yesterday I created a "stand up desk" with large plastic bins on my table where I put my laptop and another large computer monitor. It works great! Every little bit of moving helps since today I did not go for a walk. I may use my under the desk foot peddler at some point during my shift tonight. Drinking more water is also important to digest and "move it through" the system. Tracking my foot helps me stay honest about what I eat. These are things I'm thinking about as I wake up and will get ready to work in a few hours.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Age 66
    Highest weight 254 lbs (August 3, 2020
    Goal weight 160lbs

Goal weight loss 1.5 lbs per wee
    Individual Goals: Log all food, every day
    *Eat all calories between 8 am and 6 pm
    *Create a list of distractions for when I am craving sweets!
    *Evaluate the risk of swimming in a public pool during COVID pandemic

I have just re-connected with MFP after seeing the attached picture at a recent family gathering. I have been dealing with RA and probably using it as an excuse to not lose weight. Just met with a Weight Loss physician today and am highly motivated to start this journey, but know I will need support along the way and have always struggled with asking for the help I need. I am both excited and fearful to get going so any helpful tips you have would be appreciated! Also I am new to posting on a message board, so suggestions for that would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome! This is a wonderful and supportive group! I love your idea of creating the list of distractions, and also your plan to evaluate the risks of swimming. Our public pool has been kept at only 50% capacity and I've been going either when it first opens or about 45 minutes before it closes at night. It's been a life-saver for exercise and for the mental benefits. I hope that you're able to visit your pool as well!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,268 Member
    Today was better with following routine. I read some news and got in my strength training. I haven't worked on job applications. I went with my daughter to get things we need.
  • I'm getting small routines rebuilt at the new house. I am autistic and have ADHD, so routines are necessary components of my life, but new house means things are different; for one thing, I have to allow for the fact that I don't have a separate dressing area that I can turn on a light in while leaving the bedroom dark. Fortunately I can take down, brush out, and put up my hair in the dark. (It's all by touch anyway)

Once he gets a job and we have income coming in again, I'll be able to join a gym and have that routine again too.
  • cosafe1
    cosafe1 Posts: 27 Member
    Here is a photo I took of my "stand up" desk I created at home. I'm proud to say it is better for me - not only do I burn more calories but I can move around, stretch my legs & back and feel better & more alert standing here working on my computer. I make video chat calls for Amazon to their employees all night long and it's quite monotonous. It's a temporary job and I'm burning out on it and seek another job - hopefully in my neighborhood.

I found a link that tells how many calories burned just by standing and I figure that in five hours total standing every shift I could burn about 890 calories each day.

Here is the link in case anyone's interested in figuring out how many calories they burn by standing: https://startstanding.org/calculate-calories-burned-sitting-vs-standing/

dx5kn2mnho6u.jpg
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    lucerne2 wrote: »
    I'm 55 years old, 5'4", 100 pounds overweight, with bad knees and plantar fasciitis. I was raped 6 weeks ago (yeah, unbelievable that someone that looks like me would be raped) and I'm feeling so disappointed with myself that I have let my body go to the point that I was not able to put up a good defense. I need to put my anger and my feelings into my work out. I would like to hear from folks who have a lot of weight to lose like myself. Thank you.

SW: 244
    CW: 244

Goal for August: 10 pounds
    Drink water/No soda
    Exercise and/or walk daily
    Log food intake

August 11:
    August 18:
    August 25:

Ultimate Goal Weight: 145

I just wanted to say hi and welcome. This group is wonderfully supportive and I hope you'll check in often throughout your process. <3