August 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I have snoozed almost every one I know in real life on Facebook.
    I feel like I just can't snooze enough people to make Facebook a positive thing at the moment. I get that different people use it for different purposes, but I really want it to be an escape. Wishful thinking!

In the first 3 days of the month I've cycled 42 km and ran just once, hill training today for 4.3 km. It's crazy because I kinda feel wiped out like I did a long run but NOPE not at all. I just ran up the hill 4 times at 5k pace and then jogged home. But the long bike ride yesterday afternoon was nice, there were SO many people on the bike path but in a way it was almost like being in a race with the atmosphere of doing something active with other people. I miss that.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,885 Member
    @eleanorhawkins Sorry about your anxiety at the moment. Hopefully things will calm down and get a little bit more back to normal. Love the story of Cindy the cat!

I have snoozed almost every one I know in real life on Facebook.
    In the first 3 days of the month I've cycled 42 km and ran just once, hill training today for 4.3 km. It's crazy because I kinda feel wiped out like I did a long run but NOPE not at all. I just ran up the hill 4 times at 5k pace and then jogged home. But the long bike ride yesterday afternoon was nice, there were SO many people on the bike path but in a way it was almost like being in a race with the atmosphere of doing something active with other people. I miss that.
    JUST?! Sounds hard enough to be wiped out to me!

• eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,650 Member
    @eleanorhawkins Sorry about your anxiety at the moment. Hopefully things will calm down and get a little bit more back to normal. Love the story of Cindy the cat!

@quilteryoyo thanks. Cindy was awesome. We never knew where she came from, she just turned up on the doorstep one day all matted ginger hair and skin and bones and refused to leave. After we let her in she slept with her eyes open for about 3 weeks.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,885 Member
    I opted for a treadmill run today, as it was raining this morning. It was a nice, gentle rain, so would have probably been pleasant enough. I just wasn't in the mood to get wet. I don't think I was in the mood to run at all, because the run was mentally hard today. I really wanted to quit before I ran my planned distance, but forced myself to finish. Ran 4.25 miles at an average 11:37 min/mile and also walked a mile.

exercise.png

I have a question about the ticker. Yesterday, I was able to post two separate ones. But, when I went back today, it only saved one of them and now I can't figure out how to make it post two today. I thought I had, but in the preview, they were the same. I guess my question is, how can I have two separate tickers that keep track of the previous days total? (Hope that makes sense to someone. It sounds kind of garbled to me. LOL)

• hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    hugs @eleanorhawkins. We got you.

@quilteryoyo I probably should have gone out to run today too...but Isais is coming and forecast was rain, so I decided on treadmill. Of course the rain hasn't arrived yet....so I could have gone - oh well. Did another 2 peloton runs for total of 80 min. Might be doing me some good as all of them have hill work!
    No idea on the tickers sorry.

When I was 10 I was in Canada - so probably was watching Happy Days, Love Boat, etc..After school would sometimes head to the convenience store and get a coke Slurpee and ketchup chips. That was awesome.
    11-13 I was in the Congo in Africa, and not much you could do after school, but go home and do homework and watch VCR movies. Phone service was terrible at the time there, and didn't really see friends or do anything much. Unless we went to a friends house after school.

Coping by running, spinning, netflixing. And the occasional meet up with a couple friends for a walk or coffee at an outside place with appropriate measures.
    Oh and that beach trip we took for a few days was magic.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    A monthly question.
    This year has been challenging mentally, emotionally and physically (for some of us). How are you coping? What do you do to get back on track? What challenges do you face and how are you managing them? (hint: if you are not it's time to do so).
    I'm just trying to be consistent. I started following Sydney Cummings on YouTube in May, and continued on with her Summertime Fine 2.0 program, which runs through August. I'm trying to focus on getting fruits and vegetables every day. If my weight gets close to my top limit for maintenance, sometimes I log a few days. If I feel extra tired, I take a nap or go to bed early. I will go back to work this week, so staying calm, planning ahead, and keeping to a bedtime/schedule will be helpful. I'm glad I didn't get into the habit of staying up late all summer. Having dogs with needs in the morning helps.
    or
    Remember when you were 10-13 ish? What were your favorite after school shows, snacks, activities, favorite memories and friends or pets?
    When I was 10-13, I was competing in gymnastics. So, workouts pretty much every day after school, Saturdays, or competition on weekends. I don't remember what shows I watched at that age. I probably didn't watch much TV. I had a few friends at school and some at the gym. One friend I met in 4th grade and we stayed good friends through high school and did dance team together.

I went to the park today and pushed through my slow, sweaty 5 miles. I walked an extra half loop to cool down and then stretched.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,951 Member
    edited August 2020
    @hamsterwheel6 Nice job topping that leaderboard. What are "ketchup chips"?

@rheddmobile I have passed a couple of people riding horses when I was running, but so far I've never seen any at the McDonald's drive thru.

@katharmonic Wow! That hike looks awesome and sounds brutal! You really are a beast. I love the pictures and especially the one of you looking out over the view.

@Elise4270 I went on Facebook to keep up with my kids. I really only want to see posts of kittens and puppies and who had a birthday or got married or had a new grand baby. I'm tired of all the politics and the negativity on there.

@quilteryoyo A lovely gentle rain sounds nice. I've wondered about how to do two tickers as well. I was going to try to do one for the monthly challenge and one to keep up with the Run the Year, but I couldn't figure out how to save two separate tickers.

@Tramboman Since we both took rest days today we'll have to wait until tomorrow to get our 1600 mile bib. We just need 1.07 miles.
  • Knyvern
    Knyvern Posts: 182 Member
    Got out earlier this morning and was almost home before the sun came up. It was nice to beat the heat and it is supposed to get to 103 degrees today.
    2.1 miles
    exercise.png
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    @hamsterwheel6 Nice job topping that leaderboard. What are "ketchup chips"?

@rheddmobile I have passed a couple of people riding horses when I was running, but so far I've never seen any at the McDonald's drive thru.

@katharmonic Wow! That hike looks awesome and sounds brutal! You really are a beast. I love the pictures and especially the one of you looking out over the view.

@Elise4270 I went on Facebook to keep up with my kids. I really only want to see posts of kittens and puppies and who had a birthday or got married or had a new grand baby. I'm tired of all the politics and the negativity on there.

@quilteryoyo A lovely gentle rain sounds nice. I've wondered about how to do two tickers as well. I was going to try to do one for the monthly challenge and one to keep up with the Run the Year, but I couldn't figure out how to save two separate tickers.

@Tramboman Since we both took rest days today we'll have to wait until tomorrow to get our 1600 mile bib. We just need 1.07 miles.

You can get up extra early and bask in the glory; you've done most of the hard work.
    I'm just glad I'm over my little injury and can continue to contribute.
  • kperk91
    kperk91 Posts: 226 Member
    exercise.png

2 days in a row!
  • hamsterwheel6
    @kgirlhart Ketchup flavored potato chips. It’s a Canadian flavor not made in the states. Though I imagine some of the northern states might have them. Not sure why they don’t make it here, I love them and usually bring back some after I visit up there. Although maybe it’s a good thing!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Thanks all! @quilteryoyo there are few venomous snakes in NY state. Timber rattlesnakes are possible but I've not heard of many being sighted in the high peaks. Bear encounters seem to be the bigger concern. It really seems to vary but one mountain we saw a bunch of harmless garter snakes and the last few nothing.

Mmm, ketchup chips are good. You can get them here sometimes.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    08/01/20 :::: 1.3 :::: 1.3
    08/02/20 :::: 1.6 :::: 2.9
    08/03/20 :::: 3.1 :::: 6.0

This morning was another internal "no" response to the possibility of getting up to go running. I had to pick up Stella from boarding pretty early and then decided it wasn't happening. I texted my friend and we met up at 5:15 after work and ran on the track while her daughter did a small group lacrosse practice. Or field hockey. One of those. It was way too hot on the track with little shade so we went out to the road and parking areas to run the shady parts until we finished our 5k.

Feeling about 80% recovered. I'm going to try foam rolling again tonight. Stella stole my tennis ball but hopefully I can track that down and roll my feet as well.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,951 Member
    @Tramboman I do try to get out the door between 5:45-6:00. I think we are both pulling our weight and hope your injuries are behind you.

@hamsterwheel6 I have never seen ketchup flavored potato chips. They kind of sound gross to me. But I'm not a big ketchup person.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    @Tramboman I do try to get out the door between 5:45-6:00. I think we are both pulling our weight and hope your injuries are behind you.

@hamsterwheel6 I have never seen ketchup flavored potato chips. They kind of sound gross to me. But I'm not a big ketchup person.

I guess it will be whoever syncs first with RTE.
  • hamsterwheel6
    edited August 2020

A lot do feel the same way you do...but in Canada you kind of grow up with them, and Canadians apparently love ketchup! Lol
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    It stormed this evening, and I’ve had a bit of a headache, so I just went out briefly after the rain for 1.5 miles. It had cooled off about 15 degrees, so it felt pretty nice.