What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Replies

• VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,707 Member
    edited August 2020
    73nchkwo9fth.jpg
    ld2vzclimbm0.jpg
    obc5t4vmvkic.jpg
    skrlon1li1k1.jpg
    y7v193cza33x.jpg
    voo50xusdvif.jpg

The last one is Silken Tofu, cacaonpowder, connamon and stevia
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,586 Member
    MistressPi wrote: »
    acpgee wrote: »
    MistressPi wrote: »
    acpgee wrote: »
    Sous vide chicken breast, roast potatoes, sauteed asparagus. Leftover onion gravy.

That looks great. Did you brine the chicken before cooking it? I don't have a sous vide set up, but a friend of mine raves about it...I'm just reluctant to get any more kitchen gadgets/appliances... I think I must have fifteen different ways to cook chicken with the stuff I already have. :)

I dry brine instead of doing a traditional brine which gives great results with less work.
    https://www.seriouseats.com/2019/12/how-to-dry-brine.html

The modern sous vide set ups don't require a lot of room to store. Mine is a stick that is 13 inches long and 2 inches in diamter. So it equivalent to a handheld stick blender in terms of space it takes up in a drawer.

The things I always cook sous vide nowadays are chicken breasts (best silky texture because at a slow cook with a controlled temperature is safe to take chicken it up to just 63C instead of the 72C it normally needs to be safe), thick steaks (you can get edge to edge perfect medium rare instead of well done on the edges and rare in the centre). For tender cuts I do an hour or so, so it does take more time.

The other things I find sous vide useful for is tougher roasts such as silverside (eye of round in the US, I think) and pork tenderloin. Also good for getting firmer texture on cheap shin and braising meats, because I don't like that stringy pulled texture of stewed meats. But tough cuts need to go for 24 hours or so before searing.

Thank you for the detailed response. Do you prefer the texture of sous vide chicken breast as compared to poaching it? My friend raves about how good shrimp and other seafood turn out via sous vide. It's good to know that the set up is so much more compact and I'm guessing less expensive, too, than it was when it first came out.

Love seeing all your meals. So much care and attention to detail, inventive and creative.

I've never poached chicken breasts so I am afraid I can't compare to sous vide. Also keep in mind that in the early days people said you needed a vacuum packer too. Most people i know just use a good quality ziplock bag. I never wanted a sous vide before because I had only seen the early generation models which were really bulky. Nowadays it is just a heating element that you clip into a pasta pan that heats and circulates the water at a controlled temperature.

That said, although my husband likes chicken breasts and steaks sous vide, he prefers braising meat braised. The sous vide makes cheap cuts tender after a long slow cook but it retains a firm steak like texture. My husband thinks that curries and stews are superior when they develop that stringy pulled texture that holds more sauce.

I haven't tried seafood.
  • acpgee
    Dinner out. I had a rare flatiron and the hubby had a cheeseburger. Creamed spinach and beef drippings chips on the side.
    64rhyfp10hjs.jpeg
  • paxot69915
    paxot69915 Posts: 14 Member
    Must be Monday.

5cx9xiadf7u3.jpg
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    edited August 2020
    @VegjoyP - your last post was so simple - but looked so yumm...as I'm sure it was:)
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,707 Member
    edited August 2020
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    @VegjoyP - your last post was so simple - but looked so yumm...as I'm sure it was:)
    Thank you💙
    It makes me happy and feel good 🙂
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    A very lose interpretation of kedgeree with smoked salmon and assorted veggies. Only 520 calories for my serving.
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    aa0hmp51nq5e.jpg
    breakfast omlette
    9t333ry32tb6.jpg
    lunch
    iudcgshivqpl.jpg
    dinner
  • acpgee
    Sauteed samphire, pan fried haddock fillets dusted with cornmeal, chick pea flour batons air fried with tomato dipping sauce.
    31dh8okq2cxp.jpeg
  • acpgee
    oh whoops.8mumj3vjksp7.jpeg
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    madajura
    l29scco6s54d.jpg
  • acpgee
    Dinner party at my place. Guests brought ingredients for exotic fruit cocktail. My meal was spanish themed. Starter of a little brown toast with portuguese marinated carrots and thinly sliced mojama garnished with toasted almond flakes and olive oil. Main was Basque Rump, rump steak from retired dairy cows that have chilled out and fattened after menopause at pasture for a year or two. Rump was the chosen cut because the attendees preferred really different cooking times. Anyware from medium rare to well done. Side of turkish pepper cooked like pimiento pdron, and chickpea flour air fryer chips. Condiments of chimichurri, compound butter and tomato and garlic sauce.

f2icdqljkh4h.jpeg
    79lwr3b9wd89.jpeg
    ax2hgrl9u7on.jpeg