Coronavirus prep

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    When my sister was in high school, she had a pool party with lots of friends. Afterwards we got a call from one of the mothers saying that her daughter had Hepatitis A. Everyone who had been in contact with her, including all the kids at her school and our family that hosted the party, had to get shots. When my mother asked the other mother why she had allowed her daughter to go out, the woman replied, "She wanted to go to the party so badly, I couldn't say no."

Shockingly stupid and inconsiderate.
  • ElioraFR
    ElioraFR Posts: 91 Member
    Bats in Africa and China are significantly large compared to the puny N. American species.

Not an ingredient I would consider for soup! or a pet.

Myself, I'm not going to complain if the gov starts a campaign to illiminate mosquitoes, rattlesnakes and bats.
    Humans need to be safe first. I believe nature will adapt and survive without those three killers.
  • ElioraFR
    edited August 2020
    Myself, I'm not going to complain if the gov starts a campaign to illiminate mosquitoes, rattlesnakes and bats.
    Humans need to be safe first. I believe nature will adapt and survive without those three killers.

I would.

ecological systems depend on creatures we might not like too - like bats, rattlesnakes, mosquitoes.

Humans need to respect that.

and how do you expect the government would be able to do this anyway??

most every other man made interference with nature has ended badly - I dont think this one would end well either

Well, some countries are:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/17/spain-to-cull-nearly-100000-mink-in-coronavirus-outbreak

Both Spain and the Netherlands are killing minks.
  • ElioraFR
    edited August 2020
    Yes, I did read that information. Did you know that there are rat farms in Vietnam? That the demands of the cuisine in China and elsewhere mean that there are bat and rat farms in asia? What do you think about the fact that there are many Sars type viruses that live in bats and they are sold in open markets in Asia every day?

I'm not here to demand anything or condemn anyone, just would like to know if your philosophy for animal species extends to the extreme circumstances of asia and its effect on the coming possiblilty of mor Pandemic virus infection?
  • ElioraFR
    ElioraFR wrote: »

I would.

ecological systems depend on creatures we might not like too - like bats, rattlesnakes, mosquitoes.

Humans need to respect that.

and how do you expect the government would be able to do this anyway??

most every other man made interference with nature has ended badly - I dont think this one would end well either

Well, some countries are:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/17/spain-to-cull-nearly-100000-mink-in-coronavirus-outbreak

Both Spain and the Netherlands are killing minks.

That is the arrogance of mankind. Even medicine is moving dramatically to a more complete view of the world in synergy. In medicine, they used to look at an individual's health/body in isolation, like in a vacuum. Not until they discovered that their are more organisms living inside of us than our own living cells (our microbiome), did they start to consider everything related to the microbiome and environment. Medicine is in a major paradigm shift right now. Microbiome R&D was a novel concept five years ago. Now there are 100s of jobs posted every single day, even in every large Pharma company, with new divisions cropping up every day, studying how the human body interacts with the bugs inside and outside of it. I feel they still need to do a lot more with the chemical exposure and human health.

Guess what happens when you kill off all of those pesky freeloading bugs inside of us? You pretty much die. We are just beginning to understand all the damage done by the use of antibiotics in children.

When man believes that everything revolves around man (which is, IMHO, an outdated religious opinion), we all die.

Mr. Phiferman, I want you to know I eat yogurt and as many probiotic foods as possible every day. I still disagree that Coronaviruses, especially those found in bats of Asia and Africa are helpful in any way to the ongoing existance of the human species.
  • ElioraFR
    edited August 2020
  • ElioraFR
    No, I wasn't even talking about pressuring Chinese or Vietnamese to change their cultural cuisines. I actually want to know if people are willing to do whatever it takes to stop further Pandemics by rooting out the causes ona biological level?
  • ElioraFR
    ElioraFR wrote: »
    Yes, I did read that information. Did you know that there are rat farms in Vietnam? That the demands of the cuisine in China and elsewhere mean that there are bat and rat farms in asia? What do you think about the fact that there are many Sars type viruses that live in bats and they are wold in open markets in Asia every day?

I'm not here to demand anything or condemn anyone, just would like to know if your philosophy for animal species extends to the extreme circumstances of asia and its effect on the coming possiblilty of mor Pandemic virus infection?

I don't think any of us are saying we're for "wet markets" in China and the Chinese government covering up Covid-19 cases (by the way, you could argue that in the US, our government has done the same thing!). What we're saying is you can't wipe out an entire species for the transgressions of mankind. Put pressure on the Chinese government to stop wet markets? Yes, absolutely.

With the way we treat chickens in the US, there could be an outbreak here, caused by our agricultural practices.

Yes I had h1n1 and survived. I also survived the Hong Kong flu. All very nasty business, believe me you don't want even those relatively mild ones!